2001 1.4 SRi - steering wheel wobble / loose - Dai O
Hi guys, i have a corsa SRi 1.4i on a 2001 plate {Added to subject header as will be seen there before opening the post}

I have noticed that the steering wheel has a bit of play in it, ie if you are stationary with the engine running you can turn it a fraction left and right and it feels loose - not friction.

Also if you are travelling over rough roads or over speed ramps it also feels loose and tends to rattle a bit.

The wife has said she kerbed it (only going slowly she says) so i have had the tracking and checked and reset as it was out but it's still looseness (if thats a word) is still there.

Anyone help me out with a few suggestions.

Cheers for looking

Dave

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2007 at 01:44

steering wheel wobble / loose - slowdown avenue
sounds like steering rack, how many speed humps and pot holed roads do go down.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2007 at 01:44

steering wheel wobble / loose - Dai O
Travel over about 10 speed humps to get to a main road and then the same 10 to get back to the house every day

2001 1.4 SRi - steering wheel wobble / loose - piston power
Have you jacked it up and felt for any play in the rack? and hold the steering wheel and move it up & down for any play in the coloum? what did the garage say who did the tracking?????
thx for looking, took it to a Ford garage to get it tracked, they said they couldn't see any another problems, but it just doesn't feel right.

If i was to jack it up what exactly am i looking for, movement but movement in what and in which directions?? Would it need to be jacked from each corner or are we talking about jacking the front end up??

moving the steering coloum up and down sounds easier to do, i will check that this evening.

Cheers bud

Dai O
No vertical play on steering wheel coloum, going take wheels of and take a look around, not to sure what i'm loking for, heard it could be loose linkage????
2001 1.4 SRi - steering wheel wobble / loose - mjm
My guess would be the universal joint between the steering column and the rack. With the wheels off get someone to "waggle" the steering wheel left and right a bit and see how the rack/track rod ends move.
2001 1.4 SRi - steering wheel wobble / loose - L'escargot
Is it just the accumulated effect of normal wear and tear on the steering rack and all the different joints? In the days before MOTs free play in the steering was common ~ and accepted.
--
L\'escargot.