Bike rack recommendation please - Round The Bend
Looking for a bike rack that will fit on the back of a 2002 Mondeo saloon. I'm aiming for an economy rack that won't gouge lumps out of the boot. TIA.
Bike rack recommendation please - Lud
Swap it for a new Corsa. According to the current TV ad this has a bicycle rack that comes out of the rear valance like a cup holder when you press it.

Or is it just a joke?
Bike rack recommendation please - bignick2
no its not a joke - is a factory fit option
not seen it in the metal so cant comment on how good it is - seems a bit gimmicky to me.

What's the betting that one of the designers is a keen cyclist?
Bike rack recommendation please - Round The Bend
Thanks guys. Don't think changing cars will be all that economic. Any other suggestions??
Bike rack recommendation please - BobbyG
RTB, sorry I have experiences of towbar mounted, and now roof bars, but not the ones that strap on the back of the car. I personally have always avoided these as they just look so unsafe although millions of them are sold so they can't be that bad!

I do know our local Tesco Extra sells them quite cheaply. Also avail from the usual motor outlets, maybe Halfords will have "guides" showing what one is suitable for your car?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Bike rack recommendation please - Paul I
Towbar mounted are the way to go both Mont Blanc and Thule look to make the most suitible but have a look at www.towsure which is where mine came from
Bike rack recommendation please - jc2
Having watched a film of TUV testing on roof muunted racks,spent an enjoyable half-hour watching a Frenchman trying 1.to fit a tailgate mounted rack and then 2.try to put bikes on it and all the straps then came loose etc.,I would go for a tow-bar mounted one every time-mine is called "carry-cycle" fits between ball and bar and I have used it to transport bikes around both the Uk and the EU.However it does need you to have a light-board.
Bike rack recommendation please - BobbyG
jc, tell me ore about the TUV testing of roof mounted racks as that is what I am using now!!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Bike rack recommendation please - Bromptonaut
Like Bobby I've used roof mounted racks, in my case for 10 years on BX then Xantia. Never a problem.

What nasties did TUV testing throw up?
Bike rack recommendation please - jc2
The TUV testing consisted of drivng a car with roof mounted racks fitted(ten different ones)-one bike on it each time and then driving the car thro' slalom formed of cones-not particularly fast.Unfortuneately I no longer have the results but some of the racks failed almost immediately-a few survived-not necessarily the most expensive.What did come over was not to use the bolts and washers supplied to connect the racks to the crossbars but to fit larger bolts and bigger washers-in most cases the bolts pulled straight thro' the mounting brackets.

Edited by jc2 on 28/10/2007 at 11:50

Bike rack recommendation please - davmal
Used a "Pendle" towball mounted rack (4 bikes) for several years now with no problem. You can either clamp it to the ball (if you have a swan neck type) or get a mounting which will bolt through onto a flange mounting. The bike rack arms are easily removed and replaced being secured with a spring R clip, and even the towball clamp mount can be off or on in 5 minutes as it is only four allen headed bolts and 17mm AF nuts. Fairly expensive but mine lasted years without problem until some dozy cretin rear ended us and compromised my faith in its integrity (replaced under insurance with another). Remember to check your towball down load though if you are using several bikes. Bikes stand well clear of the car body.
Bike rack recommendation please - mlj
Agree with reccomendation for Pendle products. I have used a strap on (Avensis H/B) Pendle for years with no problems or so much as a scratch to the car.