2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - StuartA
mileage 80k
I recently changed the cam belt tensioner etc , all seems well , starting ok power ok. But i have noticed that the car blows smoke when pulling away at low speeds or accelerating from 15-20 mph following an overun period. Also the fuel consumption seems worse according to the computer (which was reset following service). It seems to be a little high on oil , could that do it ? I have only done very short runs since the belt change .

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/10/2007 at 11:19

2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - L'escargot
The smoke sounds like worn piston rings and/or bores allowing oil to be sucked into the cylinders on the over-run.
--
L\'escargot.
2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - Group B
What colour smoke Stuart?

Blue smoke = burning oil as l'escargot says.
Black smoke = too much fuel injected or not enough air getting in.
White smoke = fuel not burning correctly.

www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-smoke.php

Rich.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 24/10/2007 at 12:21

2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - StuartA
The smoke appears more black
2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - DP
Start by dropping out some oil and getting it to the correct level. Depending on how overfilled it is, the excess crankcase pressure could be forcing the oil into the inlet through the breather system.
This really isn't something you want on a diesel engine.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - Altea Ego
Its probably standard VW Tdi smoke. Black sooty smoke. Some of them do some of them dont. When they do they do it after overrun and when you stick your clog down.

I have had one that did it form new, and 2 that havent (yet). Follow some VW TDis for a while to see what I mean.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - 9000
a leak in the induction system would cause these symptoms- I had the same on a volvo diesel and it was a hole in the intercooler. Get someone to rev it and see if you can feel/ hear pressurised air leaking from around the engine bay- could be as simple as a loose hose.
2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - adverse camber
given that you've just changed the timing belt I would be checking that you did it properly. Having the timing slightly out could cause this as well.

2002 130TDi sport - Blowing smoke - 659FBE
Overfilling PD engines with oil is potentially harmful to the catalytic converter - on mine there are two notices warning against this.

The recommended air filter change periods for this engine are, in my view, wrong. If you allow an air cleaner element to stay in the engine for too long, the inlet tract to the turbocharger operates at significant negative pressure under conditions of high air flow. This causes oil to be pulled into the engine both via the breather and via the turbocharger compressor seals. Unless you live in a very clean area, 20k miles is the absolute limit for an air cleaner element - 10k miles would be better.

When you changed your timing belt, did you use the correct locking tools and adjust the vernier on the camshaft wheel? Doing a straight belt change and not setting both the tension and position of the belt and camwheel with the three vernier bolts slackened will result in the camshaft timing being wrong. This is bad news for this engine as it also influences injection timing.