2 Stroke cars - Marcus
A few years ago there was conjecture that the engine of the future for cars would be the 2 stroke.

If I remember correctly Ford converted a fleet of Fiestas which they gave to members of the public for an extended trial.

Does anyone know the results of the trial? Presumably a failure?
2 Stroke cars - Dwight Van Driver
M

For 'few years' read yonks.(1950's)

Remember the 'Dot' motor cycle - ahead of itself. One went about riding it enveloped in a blanket of smoke accompanied by a sound similar to an angry Bumble Bee in a treacle tin, which is why it probably didn't take off. However it may just come back to North Wales and prevent certain photographs being taken.

Early stealth technology.

DVD.
2 Stroke cars - SjB {P}
Actually, I believe that Marcus is correct.

With modern computer control technology looking after the ignition process, together with a no loss oil system instead of the traditional total loss, there was (is) renewed interest in the two stroke as a clean(er than before) emissions engine that is light, simple, and importantly for the car company bean counters, cheap, to produce.

My 100cc kart motor, pushing out about 20BHP, revving to over 18,000RPM, and consuming fuel at the rate of about 12 MPG is *NOT* that engine! ;-)

The ratty old Wartburg I saw in the Czech Republic a few weeks ago isn't that machine, either. "Blue haze" wasn't the word for it!

May be web sites like Ricardo hold the answer?

Hmm... I feel a surf coming on.

/Steve
2 Stroke cars - Dude - {P}
I owned a couple of 3 cylinder 2 stroke cars (D.K.W and later Auto Union) in the sixties. They had excellent turbine smooth power delivery and approx 90 m.p.h performance from their 1000 cc motors, but only about 22 m.p.g and plenty of blue smoke. I actually fitted a copper rear exhaust system to one of them with the rear pipe flattened like a fish tail and the exhaust note was absolutely amazing - it could be heard from approx 1/2 mile away.
I have often wondered with a modern fuel injection system along with electronic engine management these engines could not be built to meet modern emission regulations as their potential power delivery per cc is far greater than a 4 stroke motor.
2 Stroke cars - Daedalus
DVD,

the DOT motorcycle was the first "real" bike I ever had between my thighs, at the age of 13. I stalled it first and then shot off at a great rate of knots along the beach between Formby and Crosby in what was Lancashire. I still remember the sense of speed and power (compared to the NSU moped we had started to ride on). And I still of course have bikes today, the Blackbird and a Harris Magnum II. DOT stood for Devoid of Trouble I understand, but not in our experience at that time.

Bill
2 Stroke cars - Marcus
DVD,
This was 2/3 years ago with Fiestas. All high tech gubbins with a seperate oil tank that altered the oil/petrol mix acording to load I believe.

The output from modern 2 stroke racing motorcycle engines is huge and they were leaning on some of this technology.

M
2 Stroke cars - Galaxy
I think that the two stroke Fiestas were given to a police force for use as panda cars. No, I'm sorry but I don't know the result of the trial; as you say, probably failure as nothing further was ever reported. I would be very interested to know.
2 Stroke cars - Daedalus
They may still be if Orbital have their way, have a look at the website at www.orbeng.com/au. I tried it earlier on and I couldnt get on, maybe working now. They are using the technology in a lot of the Italian scooters at the moment. Emmisions are better than Euro levels and fuel consumption is over 100 mpg.

Bill