How much power do you want and why? - oilrag
What power are you happy with and why?

For me, I`m happy with little, contrasted with todays cars.

Why? Well my first `car`was an 850cc Mini van back in the 60`s. You were really aware of hills and Shap fell on the M6 used to really take the speed off.

I can remember years of climbing the M62 eastbound over the pennines at 40MPH in 3rd gear.

Of course all that is forgotten about these days with modern cars, but i was reminded of it reading a forum on LDV (old post office) vans. They were aware of Shap and it reminded me of old times.
So i guess i`m quite contented with little, in terms of power in modern cars.
Just enough to make the Shap and eastbound pennines seem flat.

Regards
How much power do you want and why? - L'escargot
I remember the bad old days when you couldn't maintain 60 mph in a small car up the slightest of slopes, and I wouldn't want to go back to them. At the moment I'm reasonably happy with 130 bhp in a Focus-size car because it gives reasonable performance, but I'd like more. In general I look for the highest power I can get in a car that I can afford and which will fit in my garage.
--
L\'escargot.
How much power do you want and why? - Pat L
I know what you mean, we just don't really notice hills these days. In the lat 60s my family lived in Cyprus and my dad had a Fiat 850 which was pretty gutless. It never made it from Limassol to the top of the Troodos mountains - it would start overheating about half way up!

My first car (in 1980) was a 1970 VW Beetle (1300cc) which had real character but took an age to wind up to 70mph on the motorway. And as for the likes of Porlock Hill in Somerset ....! Happy days, though.
How much power do you want and why? - Round The Bend
Like Oilrag, I can remember the low powered machines of my early driving days and must admit that for everyday purposes my 1.8 Mondeo Zetec, with around 125 bhp, does the job for me.

Yes, I'd like more welly for the fun of it, but when I next change cars I will put looks and reliability above power.
How much power do you want and why? - Pat L
And in response to the original question I don't think I'd want less than 100 bhp nowadays. (I think that old Fiat 850 was 34bhp).
How much power do you want and why? - gordonbennet
I probably prefer torque to power as in bhp.

Over the years i have owned many interesting vehicles but the ones that have given the greatest pleasure have all been fairly large engined for the given size of the vehicle.

Probably lazy but like a vehicle that can pull from almost tickover..difficult to find now.
I absolutely detest the power delivery of some modern td's nothing till 2000rpm then whoosh and got to be Stirling Moss to be at exactly the correct revs to overtake or pull out of junctions...no thankyou.

Best example and one of my best cars 1969 vauxhall ventora 3.3 manual with overdrive would pull from 10mph to flat out in overdrive without a murmer just constant power.

Just think of some of the cars youve driven if you had the biggest engined (not necc the fastest or most power) of a model it would always be the easiest to make good progress with.

So summary i want loads of torque cos i'm bone idle.

.............as for the Grand Scenic. Since we moved to Devon from Norfolk, we have found the 1.6 (115 bhp) is very underpowered for the hills around here. Really struggles fully loaded!
How much power do you want and why? - MichaelR
I am currently happy with 230bhp but do not intend to own another car with less than 200bhp. 200bhp is a nice compromise between economy and acceptable levels of performance. When I pull out to overtake, I like to have the whole manevouer completed in just a couple of seconds. It's safer.
How much power do you want and why? - DP
I think the question is too simple.

I note the reference to the 1.6 Grand Scenic earlier. I felt it was underpowered too which is why we went for the 1.9 diesel. This only makes 5bhp more, but almost twice the torque at half the revs. It only starts to feel underpowered when you get it 7 up, and shrugs off hills in most situations and is more than enough for kids in back motoring.

The Series 1 Lotus Elise with "just" 118 bhp is one of my favourite cars of all time, and gets to 60 mph in under 6 seconds.

The mk4 non-turbo Golf GTI with 125 bhp feels woefully underpowered.

There's more to the argument than power. Torque is a more accurate indicator for me. 200NM/tonne or thereabouts is ideal.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
How much power do you want and why? - Ruperts Trooper
Nm/tonne is a nonsense unit - easier to demonstrate in imperial units, lb.ft/ton.

The ton unit can be converted to lb without losing unit integrity - both the lb on top and bottom can be removed leaving ft.

200Nm/tonne = 271.2 lbft/2205lbs = 0.123ft ie meaningless.
How much power do you want and why? - tyro
How much? A bit more than I have at the moment / as much as possible. Needless to say, I want torque, too.

I'm another one who will always buy the most powerful engine that I can afford. I wouldn't pay extra for electric windows or alloys or leather or a nice stereo - & I wouldn't pay much extra for air-con, but I want the most powerful engine I can get.

Why? Possibly memories of my old 49 bhp Fiesta (which didn't have much torque either) - but basically because

a) I want a car that can get up hills easily, even from a standing start (for example, going up the Hardknott Pass in the Lake District, and having to stop for a group of vehicles coming downhill, and then start ascending again - which means that ultimate power and torque are not necessarily as important as getting them at low revs), and,

b) quick overtaking.
How much power do you want and why? - Mapmaker
Depends on how much weight I have to shift.

In a Fiesta, less than in a Bus.
How much power do you want and why? - mike hannon
I got to thinking a couple of weeks ago, while heading over a 6,500ft col in the Pyrenees, about all the hills in the west of England that used to reduce my Hillman Imp, etc, to first or second gear.
185bhp from the Prelude makes it all effortless now but I can't help thinking it's a bit OTT. Most of the time I'm very aware of the way it could easily be a licence-loser.
What really dawned on me though, was the fact that in those far-off days I actually drove much newer cars than I do now, but even in their youth they were nothing remotely like as capable.
How much power do you want and why? - Baskerville
I got to thinking a couple of weeks ago while heading over a 6 500ft
col in the Pyrenees about all the hills in the west of England that used
to reduce my Hillman Imp etc to first or second gear.

I have seen pictures of cycle races from the 1950s where some of the following cars are climbing the hills in reverse.
How much power do you want and why? - J Bonington Jagworth
"nonsense unit"

He's not intending it as a unit - it's how much torque is required for a given weight of vehicle. 271 foot-pounds is quite a lot though!
How much power do you want and why? - Number_Cruncher
>>both the lb on top and bottom can be removed

Really?

I don't think pounds force can cancel pounds mass.

With Nm/tonne, you would never be tempted in, because it's obvious that Newtons can't cancel kilogrammes.

In effect RT, you've just demonstrated why it's best to avoid imperial for anything technical. That we still talk in BHP and lbf ft is nonsense.

Number_Cruncher
How much power do you want and why? - OldSock
In effect RT you've just demonstrated why it's best to avoid imperial for anything technical.
That we still talk in BHP and lbf ft is nonsense.

Not really, NC - Engineers managed quite happily for many years before SI units became widespread.

Confusion stems mainly from the casual use of the words 'force', 'weight' and 'mass'. Most lay-people will quote 'weights' in kg rather than N, so similarly quote torque in 'foot-pounds' rather than poundsforce-feet.

There's no problem if the units are consistent, though maintaining such consistency is somewhat easier if SI units are used. Doesn't stop weights in kg, mind!!
>>Engineers managed quite happily for many years

I'm sure they did. Anyone today using imperial units by choice** for a technical calc is probably also the type who wears uncomfortable underwear by choice! There's no reason to inflict this pain!

** I've had to do some for a Boeing project I worked on. Ugh! I ended up first converting everything into nice units based on kilogrammes, metres, and seconds; doing the calc; and then converting back into imperial.

>>maintaining such consistency is somewhat easier if SI units are used

Indeed. That was the thrust of my post, having identified such an inconsistency.

Number_Cruncher

** I've had to do some for a Boeing project I worked on

Yes, it's always seemed wonderfully ironic that the Americans should be such staunch adherents to the Imperial unit system! I remember chancing on a road warning sign over there saying 'Roadworks, 1850 feet' - I think I'd got to them before I'd worked out how far that 'really' meant :-)
"That we still talk in BHP and lbf ft is nonsense"

Not if you know what it means. Personally, I have a much better 'feel' for horsepower and ft-lbs than kW and Nm. If I'm doing up a bolt without the aid of a torque wrench, it's a lot easier to gauge the required effort with units that include something approximating the length of the spanner! How many people know what a Newton feels like?
How many people know what a Newton feels like?

Or even a Newton-John :-)

Oh, and [pedant mode] it's a small 'n' in the unit name![/pedant mode]

Edited by OldSock on 23/10/2007 at 13:24

>small 'n'

Surely not? It's named after Sir Isaac...

(Never really fancied Ms N-J, though)

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 23/10/2007 at 13:28

>small 'n'
Surely not? It's named after Sir Isaac...

'fraid so - capitalized unit abbreviations; N, A, T, H etc, but lower-case names; newton, ampere, tesla, henry..... No plurals, either, i.e. 10 newton, not 10 newtons.

Must get out more..... :-)
"N, A, T, H etc, but lower-case names; newton, ampere, tesla, henry.."

That is pretty perverse, seeing as they are proper names (hence the capitalisation of the abbreviations), but then it is a French rule...
>>How many people know what a Newton feels like?

Oddly and aptly enough, the equivalent mass is that of a largish apple!

Number_Cruncher
"a largish apple"

Very good, NC! Still not sure I can translate that as easily as pounds when applying force to a spanner, though. Next time I've adjusted the chain on my bike, I'll try visualising 250 apples' worth of grunt when I tighten the axle.. :-)
How much power do you want and why? - DP
A tape measure, bit of string and a bag of apples as a torque wrench... Interesting.
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
When I was a young 'un (about 14), I used a fishing spring balance on the end of a ring spanner!

I still remember buying said spring balance from a fishing tackle shop, and the proprietor's look of surprise when I said I needed one that went up to 56 pounds (force, force!)... :-)
It's a want rather than a need, I feel. Always nice to have that little push in the back when you want to press on, but it ain't strictly necessary.

When I were a lad, I remember a frequent comment about a new car was how good it was 'on hills', since presumably they were a lot more noticeable when you only had 30hp (or less) to play with.

Still, they worked, and WRT Shap, I recall a journey that way when we passed an old Austin 7 puffing along. We then stopped for a break and, sure enough, saw it trundle past a short while later. I daresay it got to Scotland afore us.

Having said all that, I'd still like a 427 Shelby Cobra...
How much power do you want and why? - nick
Always a bit more than I have now! But I'm just as happy in a 1100cc Minor as long as it's only local pottering.
When I had a 2 litre Legacy I was always thinking, if only it was a 3 litre. I've now got a 245bhp Spec B, it felt lightning fast at first but now I keep wishing it had a turbo. I suppose you just get used to whatever you are driving, but where does it end?

but where does it end?

In a ditch, usually...... :-)
LOL, let's hope not, they're very deep round my way!
How much power do you want and why? - davidh
Enough to make any car I own feel eager. Not bothered about 0-60 or in gear times. Just how the car feels - does it want to go? Obviously its use has to be taken in to account, so this "feel" would depend on the wether it will go ok when laden.

To illustrate this point heres my actual situation:-

I have two cars - 45bhp and 850Kgs and the other 180bhp and 1660kgs. The lower powered car "feels" nippy and eager, the more powerful, heavier car doesnt - but its faster any way you want to measure it.

I try a car - does it "feel" fast enough? Yes? Then it is. Not very scientific I know but there you go.
How much power do you want and why? - davidh
245 bhp sound plenty :-)

Turbos arent all they're cracked up to be.

When I got my first turbo car I was distinctly under whelmed with the performance. The car seemed very flat untill 2100 rpm then it'd pick up. It was a Rover 620 turbo with a tad under 200Bhp. I had to learn how to drive it properly and try to visualise what the turbo was doing (I later fitted a boost gauge). I found out that turbo cars need a level of commitment by keeping the right foot down and therefore the turbo spinning. If you come on and off the throttle then it does power output no good at all and make the car feel flat. All this leads me to say that 200BHp headline figures are okay but can you access the 200Bhp easily without driving like a looney?

I've dropped down to an auto car with 180 bhp and more weight these days and I dont miss the performance as the novelty of a 200bhp turbo wore off (as well as the tyres LOL)
How much power do you want and why? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Torque is needed not power. My VW turbo diesel estate is only 100hp but can maintain speed on hills no problem. SWMBO little Getz is 95hp and is a gutless wonder in comparison. The car that is.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 23/10/2007 at 14:01

How much power do you want and why? - Red Baron
Some one mentioned Hardknot Pass earlier.

I went flying up that in my Alfa 1.6 with 'only' 120 hp, but it could happily rev up to 7000 rpm and you would not need to get out of second gear.

I would not relish the same road in the Mondeo TDCi 130 as the gears and revs are all wrong. Once past 3500 rpm there is not much power left so you would have to change up into third which would then be far to high a gear for the corners.

You need the right car for the job. And a 1.6 Grand Scenic is not for Devon.
I can't fathom what the fuss is all about regarding whether you use metric or imperial units in normal life. I admit that when I'm doing a deal with a car salesman I want to get my pound of flesh. But if I'm on a congested street and I can see that I've got a few millimetres clearance either side of my car I just inch forward, safe in the knowledge that a miss is as good as a mile. Sometimes when I get to the end of a 10 km race I feel so fit that I go the extra mile and complete a half marathon. When presented with the choice of buying either a litre of milk or two pints I know that in reality it's a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other.

The people I feel sorry for are those brought up purely on metric dimensions. What a restricted vocabulary they must have. No wonder most continentals talk in such a stilted way.
--
L\'escargot.
Sorry

Edited by OldSock on 23/10/2007 at 17:01

"The people I feel sorry for are those brought up purely on metric"

Same here. It must be a real pain having to order your beer in multiples of 568ml.
How much power do you want and why? - Ruperts Trooper
Ok, I accept that Nm/tonne isn't nonsense because pound force and pound mass aren't the same - my excuse is that I learnt (or not in this case) all this longer ago than most of you.

A question, in case my memory is failing again, doesn't torque at the tyres depend on the gearing, unlike power?

A diesel giving 99bhp/230Nm in a 1250kg car geared at 27.8mph/1000rpm may give a 22% improvement in Nm/tonne over a 134bhp/188Nm petrol of the same capacity and weight geared at 21.7mph/1000 but the torque at the wheels in top gear is actually 5% worse, although gearing of 1st gears are similar.

The power-to-weight ratio of the diesel remains 26% worse whatever gear or gearing is used.
Ruperts Trooper,

I just wish you'd explain this to all the motoring journalists who think that engine output torque is the be all and end all of acceleration.
--
L\'escargot.
R-T, it's quite difficult marrying up the physics with the 'feel' of a car's performance.

Torque, without reference to rpm, is a somewhat meaningless measure, as it is power which actually causes vehicle acceleration - and power is simply (torque) x (rotational speed).

Engine output figures are always quoted at full throttle operation, whereas little real-world operation (hopefully) takes place under these conditions. The torque and power outputs at part-throttle operation are hardly ever mentioned - yet it is these which largely determine the 'feel' of a vehicle.

As you say, gearing also plays a vital rôle in exploiting how the engine's power characteristics are applied at the driving wheels. I can't be certain, but I'd imagine that the transfer efficiency from flywheel to driven wheel differs with respect to power and (gear-adjusted) torque.
How much power do you want and why? - perleman
I went from a chipped Golf GTi Turbo (mk4) with approx 180BHP to an older Boxster 2.5 (204BHP). The Golf felt faster in mid-range in-gear acceleration but the Porsche is faster if you use 5000-6500 RPM. Which is a lot of fun BTW. I was thinking about this power question the other day, as 200BHP doesn't sound like that much by today's standards, and on a motorway, many fairly mundane cars like diesel Mondeos can match or even better the Boxsters performance (up to a point), but not so on the twisty stuff - I certainly don''t need any more power for country lanes. So I'd say that 200 is plenty as long as the chassis can put it all down nicely.
>>Torque, without reference to rpm

Yes, that's right - as RT says, you also need to consider the gear ratio.

However!, the peak power figure is only obtained at one point in the rev range. If you look at a superimposed torque and power plot (ironically, this works much better using imperial units!), the torque curve is always much flatter.

Some power centric types will say that;

acceleration=power/(mass*speed)

and then go on to justify that you don't need to consider the gear ratio when using power to estimate vehicle performance.

But, they're wrong!

The formula above is correct, but, you have to work out the engine speed - for which you need the gear ratios - and then use the engine power at the correct engine speed. You can't just always plug the maximum power in to that formula.

Going a little further, there are a coulple of seemingly inconsistent facts;

If you use a CVT, you get the best acceleration by keeping the engine speed set for maximum power

If you have a manual gearbox, if you stay in any particular gear, the maximum acceleration is obtained at the engine speed for maximum torque!

Number_Cruncher
How much power do you want and why? - RichardW
"If you have a manual gearbox, if you stay in any particular gear, the maximum acceleration is obtained at the engine speed for maximum torque!"

I have a nagging thought that what makes acceleration is not power, but the rate of change of power, and if you differentiate the power curve that gives you an idea of the available acceleration. I also suspect that if you differentiate power you will get torque, and hence torque is analgous to acceleration. Never manged to get the equations to prove it though.... This is probably why subjectively diesels are faster mid range - the torque is higher so the power curve is steeper, and hence they accelerate faster. Time to sharpen my pencil perhaps.....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
>>I have a nagging thought that what makes acceleration is not power, but the rate of change of power

In the simplest sense, taking the engine's torque, and multiplying by the overall gear ratio and dividing by the rolling radius gives the tractive effort - the force pushing the vehicle forward. As, according to Newton's Second Law, F=ma, the acceleration is directly proportional to the force, which in turn is directly proportional to the torque.

As for the applying calculus between the two curves, I think it can be done, but you'll end up with some odd terms involving engine speed. Is your pencil sharp yet?

For example, at the engine speed for maximum torque, you know the torque curve has no gradient, and so, you can work out what the gradient of the power curve will be at that engine speed - as you also know the engine speed and the torque at this point, you also know the power.

Repeating this trick at the engine's maximum power speed, but in reverse, you can work out the torque and the gradient of the torque curve. So, using the 4 pieces of info typically quoted, you can actually put a few more points and gradients on the curve, sufficient to either sketch the curves, or use a curve fitting routine to obtain an estimate of the whole characterisitic. This method doesn't work well with engines which have switchable intake systems, their torque curves are too "bumpy"

A long time a go, I made a spreadsheet available that used this method - GordonM was kind enough to host it and provide a link from this forum.

Number_Cruncher
"doesn't torque at the tyres depend on the gearing"

Indeed, but I assume that is largely normalised by the similar overall gearing (relative to the usable powerband of the engine) of most passenger cars. Diesels are usually geared a bit higher because they have more lower-down torque (and run out of puff sooner) but the speed range you are likely to get in each gear should be comparable, as will the torque at the wheels when pulling away in first.

Whether they feel similar is a different matter, of course!
All getting very technical here. Rather than "power" and "torque" and wotsits per kilowatt etc , I think the word we are searching for is "poke".

How much power do you want and why? - Dipstick
I almost never go above an indicated 75, often tootle at 50 and I have just discovered I have 278 bhp and a 0 to 62 of 6.7 seconds.

Lumme. Maybe I've overspecced here!

All getting very technical here.....

Mathematically expressed as:

points = [(poke)^2/(skill)] - (luck)

... in whatever units you prefer :-)
How much power do you want and why? - Malcolm_L
Gearing tends to be higher in modern cars for economy, my first car was a Renault 16 TS which destroyed it's engine due to a bottom seal going on a wet liner.
I managed to pick up another engine from a 16 TX, which went in without too many problems. Although only about 6bhp more, it totally transformed the car (well, the engine pick-up and straight line performance). Only 2CV's rolled and understeered more.

The TX engine was mated to a five speed box with slightly higher ratios where as the TS had a 4 speed, economy wasn't fantastic but it was much more spritely and felt it too.
Modern cars accelerate faster admittedly but you're aware of it, you don't feel it if that makes sense.

"95hp and is a gutless wonder"

If you're used to driving a diesel, perhaps you're just not giving it enough revs. Most Japanese built or designed engines that I've used have a split personality - they happily pootle along (sometimes rather feebly) at lower revs, but start getting interesting about half-way round the dial. My old Honda S800 didn't get into its stride until about 5k, but for it, that was half-way!
How much power do you want and why? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The Getz seemed to be reluctant to rev up this particular hill - I was doing about 4000rpm in fourth gear foot to the floor- and would not go faster than 60mph.Did not fancy red lining SWMBO car in third. My old SDI Golf 75hp also was sluggish up the Taddington Bypass(A6).
Passat TDI 100hp goes up at 70 plus in 5th gear.

How much power do you want and why? - Altea Ego
How much power do i want?

Sufficient - as the RR salesman used to say.

What is sufficient?

Enough to keep my chosen speed on the motorway without stiring the gearlever or stuffing clog to the floor.

Enough to keep scroat in the L/H turn lane when he wants to jump me at the lights.

Enough to safely see off Eddie, Norbert, and Willi Betz when they are in the way.

How much HP is that? well in a clio its 68 horses, IN a medium car its about 105.
Funny - both are diesels.

------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >

Edited by Altea Ego on 24/10/2007 at 14:47

Sufficient - as the RR salesman used to say.

Wasn't it actually described as 'adequate'?

Whether 'adequate' was 'sufficient' I could never afford to find out :-(
How much power do you want and why? - Lud
Whether 'adequate' was 'sufficient' I could never afford to find out :-(

Adequate to move a quite large and heavy car as fast as most of the traffic.

The answer to the question in the thread title is: more, for reasons too obvious to mention.
How much power do you want and why? - bignick2

>> Sufficient - as the RR salesman used to say.

I think this quote originally applied to the Bentley Mulsanne for which power was described as "adequate"

The power of the Mulsanne turbo R was similarly described as "adequate plus fifty percent"

Personally I like the second option!
Far better to have power available and not need it than need it and not have it.

I think this quote originally applied to the Bentley Mulsanne

Predated the Mulsanne by decades. RR never gave power figures even when asked, but they did imply that their large and heavy cars went fairly well when required to. And so they did, without drawing attention to themselves or ever feeling dangerous except in poorly maintained examples under heavy braking.

However, no real Rolls-Royce in standard form could take much full-throttle running. Their couple of gallons of SAE30 mineral oil would gradually overheat and the oil pressure would decline steadily until the driver slowed down. I wonder if even these modern ones can take it even with modern oil.
How much power do you want and why? - Big Bad Dave
"IN a medium car its about 105"

My oh my, we are easily pleased, aren't we RF?

I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 200
How much power do you want and why? - Old Navy
I always go for the most powerful diesel option for the car I am buying.
I find this gives effortless mid range power for acceleration, safe overtaking, and hill climbing.
I find 250nm in a Focus adequate.
Hopefully the chav who takes off from the lights will have his accident far enough ahead that I will have plenty of room to stop.
I guess thats where opinions differ becuase I find 105bhp in a medium size car vastly underpowered. I couldn't put up with it on a day to day basis. It would sap any ounce of pleasure there is from driving well and truely.
One may fancy lots more power MichaelR, but it certainly isn't true that low powered vehicles are not enjoyable to drive. Indeed the challenge of rowing them along faster than the traffic is quite stimulating.

However I agree with you that we car enthusiasts are brutalists at heart.

:o}
"Did not fancy red lining SWMBO car in third"

Quite understand. Discretion and valour and all that. How many miles has it done? With modern oils, engines can take a long time to loosen. My Suzuki bike is still pretty tight at 11k...
Where are Josef Stalin, Idi Amin, Nicolae Ceausescu, Pol Pot et al when you need their input? :-)
Stalin used to give cars to people enjoying his favour, good ones too, Rollses and Packards until the Soviet Union started making its own Packards. Idi Amin was a Range Rover man. One supposes that the Ceaucescus did themselves well in the area of armoured limos, although they didn't have the real cut of automobile enthusiasts. Pol Pot is a bit of a mystery here. A jeep? A well-maintained DS? A bamboo litter carried by former professors and urged on by whip-wielding militants?

But why, OS, do you think the input of these, er, not very nice but well-known individuals would be of benefit to us?
Sorry, Lud - just a light-hearted response to the thread title alone :-)
Ah, that sort of power. Dumb of me. :o)
Some low powered cars are great fun. Original Mini, a little 1.1 205, etc etc.

But stuff like 105bhp Seat Alteas, or VW Golfs, or Renault Meganes or whatever? Thats no fun, it's just tedious.

Lightweight, low power = fun
Heavy, lardy eurohatch with no power = annoying
Lightweight, high power = even more fun.

Engine power is like champagne and sex - you can never have too much.
champagne and sex - you can never have too much.

Oh boy. Are you young and inexperienced.
I'm 51! and you've not met the wife then?

Edited by nick on 24/10/2007 at 18:13

I'm 51!

Yawn.

Whippersnapper.
Come on then Lud, own up. How old are you?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2007 at 11:20

"you can never have too much"

But you'll sometimes have all you can stand.. :-)
They are sometimes mutually exclusive :-(
Definitely true.
I wonder though if many of the people who claim low powered diesels are 'enough' are merely trying to convince themselves the car they've ended up with through circumstances rather than free choice really isnt that bad.
How much power do you want and why? - Blue {P}
Agreed! :-)

Blue
through circumstances rather
than free choice really isnt that bad.

Er... I do believe we are talking about most of life here.

If you insist that your lot is bad, and keep doing it, you become exceptionally miserable and boring. Indeed you were in the first place.

Not that I want to upset these sprauncy types who don't understand the way things really are. Be triumphalist by all means. It cheers us all up, usually.
There's a difference between insisting your lot is bad and wanting something better. If mankind always accepted the status quo, we'd never progress.
How much power do you want and why? - RichardW
How much power? More than I've got / can afford the fuel / insurance / tyres / loan repayments for....

Having said that the 110 HDi Xantia rarely feels like it is short of power in normal running about.

"I wonder though if many of the people who claim low powered diesels are 'enough' are merely trying to convince themselves the car they've ended up with through circumstances rather than free choice really isnt that bad"

One day you too will have to pay the mortgage, council tax, etc etc etc, AND find the money to drive 25k miles a year. The diesel will start to seem attractive.... :-))

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
How much power do you want and why? - barney100
See that Top Gear where they checked specified bhp against actual bhp? The actual was well below the specified which really deflated the Hamster with his highly rated ''powerful'' car.
Some cars are the other way round.
They were testing thrashed 30 year old cars.
How much power do you want and why? - SteVee
I think I have to agree with RF/Altea Ego ...

When I did my IAM course (after setting off a speed camera), I complained that my 60bhp Ibiza wasn't powerful enough - my observer pointed out that it was powerful enough to be illegal, outside any speed limit in mainland UK.

How right he was.
The better driver you are, the less power you need :-)
That's basically because your observation and anticipation will be much better, and hence require smaller changes in power from the car.
(I do understand that the better driver can handle higher power )

I've had more fun in little fiesta type cars than high power autobahn cruisers - because those low power cars are fun at legal? speeds - whereas the high power stuff is only fun at highly illegal / dangerous speeds.

Still can't beat a litre sports bike though.
I think a good driver will maintain momentum with minimal use of either power or brakes.
I still like ample power when needed though, does this make me a bad driver?
How much power do you want and why? - bignick2
Bikes are of course where you really see the extremes.

I have always felt that the restricted mopeds were highly dangerous as they are always operating on the limit and have no reserve for those occasions where accelerating is the safe way to avoid a problem.
How much power do you want and why? - paulb {P}
I have always felt that the restricted mopeds were highly dangerous as they are always
operating on the limit and have no reserve for those occasions where accelerating is the
safe way to avoid a problem.

They're not much better unrestricted, believe me. Before I had the Bandit I had a 50cc Kymco which had been derestricted. Quoted power output was 5.5 bhp or so. For reasons best known to the manufacturer it came equipped with a rev counter reading up to 10,000 rpm with the red line at 8,000. This allowed me to observe

1) that it idled at ~1,500 rpm
2) the centrifugal clutch would not engage sufficiently to produce drive until rpm was >4,750 or so
3) appreciable acceleration would only occur at >6,500 rpm
3) cruising rpm was 6,800 at 30-odd and a nudge under the red line at 40.

Most I ever got out of it was about 47 mph indicated on a derestricted bit of dual carriageway, with the rev needle a worrying distance into the red. It was actually pretty stable at that speed (a 100cc engine was available in the same model) but to be honest I was more interested in the shrieking engine...

I then switched to the Bandit (~80 bhp at the crank with aftermarket exhaust) which is less than halfway up its rev range at 70, and a hell of a lot less scary to ride in many ways.

In answer to the OP's question, how much power (and torque) I want is:

1) enough to waft along effortlessly at legal speeds
2) enough to give grin-inducing levels of acceleration if required
3) not so much that it guzzles fuel.

The Mondeo is doing a pretty good job of the above, until I can run to something with a 3.0 6-cyl diesel.
sorry - finger trouble

Edited by Old Navy on 25/10/2007 at 17:32

Nobody NEEDS a lot of power, but it sure is nice ;-)
How much power do you want and why? - SteVee
>>I still like ample power when needed though, does this make me a bad driver?<<
No.
In fact, wanting an excess of power - which most of us seem to favour - doesn't make one a bad driver.
I wanted to relate how I was taught to access the power more effectively; and I'm still not fully there yet :-)
How much power do you want and why? - tr7v8
Umm, the Jag has 207BHP, I certainly wish it was a Type R with 360BHP. I certainly wish I'd bought the 3 litre with 240BHP rather than the diesel.
The TR7 has been tweaked & now has around 220 & that feels adequate.
The 944 is getting an engine rebuild over the winter & will be introduced to a Eaton supercharger off of a Mercedes Kompressor so it goes from 163BHP to 250ish!
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8
Good on you Jim. You have some interesting cars. Always liked the TR7 except for the build quality, 220bhp sounds good, have you uprated the brakes?
How much power do you want and why? - tr7v8
>Good on you Jim. You have some interesting cars. Always liked the TR7 except for the build >quality, 220bhp sounds good, have you uprated the brakes?

Yes it now has Austin Princess 4 pot calipers & bigger solid discs. These are adequate for road use.
Mine is now so full of Waxoyl & shutz I'm told you can smell it from behind as I drive along.
Handles very well, a standard TR isn't bad but this is lowered adjustable shocks, 200lb springs, polybushed etc.
Pics are here www.pbase.com/tr7v8/rover_v8
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8