1.8 SXi, any additives to improve compression? - T1mb0
Is there a product additive available that will improve the compression on my Astra engine. If so, is this product any good and will it do what it says on the tin. Many thanks in advance

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2007 at 01:46

1.8 SXi - compression gain - Dynamic Dave
Thread tidied up (due to a somewhat less than helpful reply - now deleted) and additional details added to header using a forum search - DD.
1.8 SXi - compression gain - Ruperts Trooper
The Astra-G 1.8 engines, X18XE1 up to Aug '00 and Z18XE Sep '00 onwards, are mechanically robust and long-lived if serviced correctly. My X18XE1 has done 97,000 miles but uses virtually no oil (0.2 litres in 6,000) with no noticeable loss in peformance.

With one exception, additives which claim such improvements are a waste of money and best avoided. The one exception, in my view, is Redex Injection Cleaner which will gradually remove valve deposits which may be contributing to lack of compression.

If the problem is worn cylinder bores and/or piston rings I think you have three choices a) live with the low power and increased fuel consumption b) buy a reconditioned engine at substantial cost c) buy a similar engine from a dismantler which may be just as bad.
1.8 SXi - compression gain - jc2
If the bores are not too worn,a new set of rings may work.
1.8 SXi - compression gain - bell boy
yes sorry T1mbo for my less than helpful reply
sorry DD
I would get a commprssion test done before i did anything else T1mbo
An engine from a low mileage rear end write off is the way forward if you do have a worn engine,these quick fixes cannot put metal onto compression rings no matter what is said.
1.8 SXi - compression gain - Cliff Pope
The first thing is to establish whether the loss arises from worn bores or leaking valves.
Do the compression test, then add a shot of gear oil to each cylinder and repeat. If it improves, then you have bore or ring wear. If it makes no difference, one or all (probably exhaust) valves are leaking.
Assumes valve clearances already checked, plugs not leaking at washers.
1.8 SXi - compression gain - Screwloose
T1mbo

What are the compression figures that lead you to believe that you need to improve them?
1.8 SXi - compression gain - T1mb0
Thanks for the resposes. I cant recall the actual figures but a test was carried out due to an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes the engine starts fine but usually it will not fire and it takes what seems like for ever but is probably about 7-8 seconds. It never fails to start but it turns and tries to start but fails. If it fails it needs to turn over a few seconds before firing. Very frustrating. The actual performance when runnig seems fine. It does not seem to be lacking power and fuel / oil usage appears the same.
1.8 SXi - compression gain - DP
The actual performance when runnig seems fine. It does not seem to be lacking
power and fuel / oil usage appears the same.

If you had worn bores or rings, none of this would apply, and if compression was down, the problem would not be intermittent.

It sounds to me like you have a fuel or ignition problem causing your slow starting.

As has been previously stated, these Vauxhall engines are bombproof if even half looked after.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX

Edited by DP on 23/10/2007 at 16:45

1.8 SXi - compression gain - jc2
Check your valve clearances as well!!
1.8 SXi - compression gain - Screwloose

Do we even have a year for this Astra?

8-valve?
16-valve?
Single-point?
Multi-point?
Distributor?
Coilpack?
Coil-over-plug?

It's very hard to make suggestions about an obscure starting problem covering about 10 different engines?
Do we even have a year for this Astra?

8-valve?
16-valve?
Single-point?
Multi-point?
Distributor?
Coilpack?
Coil-over-plug?

It's very hard to make suggestions about an obscure starting problem covering about 10 different engines? >>

Astra-G 1.8SXi is in the title, therefore it's '98-'04 - could be one of two engines X18XE1 or Z18XE as my earlier reply to this question.

To answer your questions Screwloose, 16v, multipoint, coilpack directly over plugs.
Check your valve clearances as well!! >>

X18XE1 and Z18XE both have hydraulic tappets which self adjust.

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 23/10/2007 at 17:25

1.8 SXi - compression gain - T1mb0
Again many thanks, the questions seem to be answering themselves on the posts. It is a 2000 X plate model. I have always had it serviced at the required times and very happy with the performance as stated. It is just this slow starting which annoys me especially with the cold mornings arriving and the extra strain on the battery (which is under 1 year old).