VRs Residuals. - legacylad
Apologies for going off on a tangent here...this may be of interest to you BobbyG
Last Saturday I borrowed my ex's IS200 SportCross and called in at her local Lexus dealer on her behalf with a query regarding the wheels which were in a dreadful condition...she wondered whether there was a 'recall' on them.
Anyway, they had a pair of 2005 Skoda Fabia VRs which had just been part exd, 23k miles on the clock, looking in as new condition. I enquired about the price, was informed that they were selling them into the trade @ £8800, but if interested could buy one for £9,000 + Lexus warranty @£720. I vaguely remember some 2 years ago an internet dealer selling this model for approx £10,500 OTR (UK supplied). I found it difficult to believe that a 'trade buyer' would pay £8800k and as for purchasing a warranty when there was a years manuf warranty remaining...an 'oversight' I was told!!
If these figures were true, the residuals are amazingly strong for this model.

TANGENT !---- so much of one its been moved to its own thread....

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 21/10/2007 at 22:18

VRs Residuals. - BobbyG
It is of interest to me! The price of these cars vary dramatically. If you go onto Skodas website and search for a used vrS there can be more than £1k difference in price between dealers for the same age and mileage. There is currently a 55 plate for £10500 on there with 25k miles on it.

But I saw one in a non franchised dealer just last week for £7988 for an 05 plate with less mileage!

Have to say, its an out and out brilliant car and I was "talked" into buying it purely on the strength of the positive comments from this forum (actually think it was PoloGirl who started me on it actually). In fact I can see a new thread starting for that soon....
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
VRs Residuals. - v0n
Trade in value for 05 plate vRs with 23k on the clock is £8170. Incidentally, faster, bigger and in every possible way better Octavia vRS with the same plate and mileage would be worth £7990 as a trade in. The oddities of British second hand market...

--------------------
[ Anything I drive can and will be used against me ]
VRs Residuals. - DP
faster bigger and in every possible way better Octavia vRS

The Fabia has a far more impressive performance/economy compromise than the Octavia in my opinion.

The Fabia vRS was the first car I drove that taught me how utterly meaningless 0-60 times are in determining the real world performance of a car. In point-and-squirt terms, I have only driven a handful of quicker cars than this, and all would struggle to top 25 mpg in daily use, much less the 50 the Fabia is capable of.

In today's quid-a-litre times, it's a bit of a have your cake and eat it car which in my opinon explains exactly why it retains its value so well.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
VRs Residuals. - Bill Payer
Honda dealers do this kind of thing with Jazz - I noticed my local dealer has a 2004 Jazz Sport for a shade under £10K, and anything nearly new is basically list price.

Maybe there were internet sellers selling Fabia for £10k ish, but it was generally a £12K car. Of course the dealers with Fabias for sale may have paid a lot less for them than the price they're up for sale at!
VRs Residuals. - PoloGirl
>(actually think it was PoloGirl who started me on it actually).

Yes and I still want one!
VRs Residuals. - Squiffy
I traded in my 3 year old, 60k mile Fabia VRS for over 50% of its original purchase price a few weeks ago.

The residuals on those cars are incredible.
I was foolishly seduced by the newer technology and better finish of the golf, but the vRS test drive was a grin from start to finish. I'd get one tomorrow if I wasn't tied into my lease car til 2010 (actually in July of next year the cost to get rid of it drops dramatically).

Anyone know if there's a new vRS on the way to follow the new Fabia made of cake?
VRs Residuals. - Pugugly {P}
Golf GTi PG - Just thrashed SWMBOs today when I was er..."drying" it after a wash !
PU - I don't *do*petrol!
VRs Residuals. - Pugugly {P}
Neither did I until she got this gem. Funny I always end up filling it as well with that expensive Shell stuff,....
VRs Residuals. - Avant
I'm sure I read in one of the magazines that there would be a vRS next year (also a Combi, Skoda's rather nice name for the estate).

It'll be interesting to see if they offer both petrol and diesel as with the Octavia. If so it'll probably be the 1.4 petrol 168 bhp engine, and hopefully the 2.0 TDI. Skoda seem to get VAG engines a year or so after VW, so it may be the current 2.0 (excellent if a little noisy under acceleration) rather than the new one that's on the way.
VRs Residuals. - Squiffy
Rumours are end of Q1 / beginning of Q2 next year for the Fabia VRS.

Not sure what engine it will have. A diesel is a given, but there may be a petrol one too.
VRs Residuals. - runboy
How about the new 1.8 TFSI which has replaced the 2.0 FSI in the Octavia? That would be a swift engine in the smaller Fabia.
VRs Residuals. - BobbyG
All this thread is doing is convincing me that I must not allow SWMBO to trade my vrS in for a Beetle..........
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
VRs Residuals. - jdc
I've had 6 valuations on my VrS ranging from High street dealers, supermarkets to smaller independent garages and do you know what ?

Each and every valuation is £7k exactly !

Are they in cohoots, are they using the same book, or the same finger in the air ?

05 plate, Silver Vrs, 29,000 miles, stolen, recovered (not that I'm sure they would know that) and to be honest, showing it's age a little - tyres getting worn, interior trim although repaired after theft, not brilliant, dashboard a bit scratched.

I'm getting rid anyway whatever as I can't bear the sight of the thing on my drive anymore and feel it is just a target for the morons in this world..... I do agree about the point and squirt driveability though, it's just a shame this has become a 'tainted' car for me...

Getting myself a nice safe C-max instead. Bland, non-descript - not worth nicking

jdc

VRs Residuals. - nortones2
Just take off the Vrs badge. No point advertising "I'm a goer" is there?
VRs Residuals. - Squiffy
Are they in cohoots are they using the same book or the same finger in
the air ?
05 plate Silver Vrs 29 000 miles stolen recovered (not that I'm sure they would
know that) and to be honest showing it's age a little - tyres getting worn
interior trim although repaired after theft not brilliant dashboard a bit scratched.

They will all be using Glasses guide.

I got £6500 trade in from a Skoda dealer for a 54 plate silver VRS with over 60,500 miles, so £7000 for yours sounds a little low.
VRs Residuals. - Armitage Shanks {p}
A 1.4 petrol with 168 bhp, is this typo, please? If it isn't I want one too!
VRs Residuals. - Avant
Yes, honestly - it's offered in the Golf GT Sport and I'd expect other VAG brands to offer it soon.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried one. I think it claims near-diesel economy and similar performance (same bhp output as the VAG 2.0 diesel)
VRs Residuals. - runboy
Yep, VW does a 1.4 TFSI in 140bhp and 170bhp (or near enough). I believe they have both supercharger and turbo charger bolted on so you performance from the word go without waiting for the turbo to spool up.

I understand the 1.4 TFSI 140bhp is to replace to bog 1.6 across the VW empire. And maybe the 170bhp will replace to 2.0 FSI. All these engines, all these makes (Audi, SEAT, VW, SKODA) what a headache for the marketing department!
www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/205725/...l

Black leather to replace the light coloured seats which were one of the few drawbacks on the standard vRS.

Also says that the new one may be a 2.0. That's got to be worth the £800 it will cost to ditch my lease in July 08. :)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2007 at 01:50

VRs Residuals. - BobbyG
Would imagine that would be the standard 2.0tdi currently in use, most probably the 170bhp version. Maybe even make it available with DSG.... now that sounds tempting!
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
VRs Residuals. - blue_haddock
Black leather to replace the light coloured seats which were one of the few drawbacks
on the standard vRS.

Thats the one thing that really put me off the VRs - i just couldn't live with a really light coloured interior.
VRs Residuals. - b308
I think it claims near-diesel
economy and similar performance (same bhp output as the VAG 2.0 diesel)

Its combined consumption is around 38/39mpg - if hard pushed then it's bound to drop even lower - I don't think the diesel has any worries just yet!

It rather amuses me that people criticise the high cost and "complexity" of a diesel and then in an effort to try to get petrol power, economy and delivery somewhere near a diesels' a manufacturer actually produces a petrol engine which is more complex, will cost more to produce and still isn't as good!

In the words of a certain Mr S, Doh!!
VRs Residuals. - DP
I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried one. I think it claims near-diesel
economy and similar performance (same bhp output as the VAG 2.0 diesel)

Clarkson was not at all impressed with this engine when he drove the Golf GT for The Times. If I recall he named it "one of the five worst cars ever made" and slated the engine's driveability and power delivery.

I can't imagine it's quite that bad, but the full review is here if you're interested.

tinyurl.com/37rshn

My concerns would be around longevity. To my mind, an engine in this high state of tune is sits uneasily with today's extended service intervals and the mechanical ignorance of the a significant number of todays drivers. But I guess VW know what they're doing...

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
VRs Residuals. - Avant
Good point, DP. The attraction in theory was near-diesel economy without the noise - but since writing that I see that VW are promising us a new common-rail 2.0 TDI which will be much more refined, so that may cancel out this advantage. Actually my Golf 2.0 TDI is only noisy on hard acceleration, which I can live with given its excellent performance and economy all round.

Just been to Manchester and back (from Berks.) - a splendid 54 mpg. I couldn't get more than 44 mpg from the B-class on a similar long run - oddly both engines are 2.0 turbodiesels with 140 bhp..
VRs Residuals. - Soupytwist
What are the residuals like on the identically engined SEAT Ibiza TDi Sport?

--
Soupytwist !