Additional security on new cars - wazza

Do you use additional security on your brand new car? I am referring to cars which are less than 5 years old. These cars tend to be fitted with immobiliser and code transmitter in the key fob which makes it hard to hot-wire a car. Just wonder if anyone use stoplok etc.

I know those with high performance cars will sometimes be asked to fit tracking devices or additional devices by the insurers.
Additional security on new cars - L'escargot
The only things I do are be careful not to park in dodgy areas, and garage my car when it's not being used. The only "attack" on a car I've experienced was theft of petrol in a stock car racing carpark in the days before locking petrol caps and anti-siphoning devices were fitted.
--
L\'escargot.
Additional security on new cars - Mad Maxy
Wazza: no, I don't.
Additional security on new cars - jc2
ALL modern cars must be fitted with acceptable levels of security but steering wheel/gear lever locks can normally be disabled in minutes,frequently by damaging the car.
Additional security on new cars - mare
We don't use anything on our cars other than the standard fit stuff. Direct Line wanted a tracker on the Impreza, so I insured it with someone else.

One of my neighbours uses a krooklok or something, but on a R reg Skoda Felicia

Edited by mare on 19/10/2007 at 09:15

Additional security on new cars - BobbyG
I don't on any of my cars.

In London this week (West Kensington) saw a Jag X Type parked with its side window smashed, glovebox and central cubby lying open. But with a Krook lock thingy on its wheel.

It was the only car in the whole street that was done.

So either its parked up for a long time and owner away and thats why krooklock on it?

radio was still in dashboard, so something made that thief pick on that car rather than any other in the street, was it the krooklock?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Additional security on new cars - Westpig
radio was still in dashboard so something made that thief pick on that car rather
than any other in the street was it the krooklock?
--

more likely an aftermarket satnav sticker mark on the windscreen or the satnav holder still present, so oik looking for satnav

Additional security on new cars - John S
wazza

Never mind extra security. It appears to me that many owners don't even use the security that's provided. Several modern cars have a two stage locking system - requiring a second press of the remote button to deadlock doors and sometimes to set alarms. I'm surprised how often I see people not to use this. Are they not bothered, or is it ignorance? I beleieve in many cases it's the latter - they never bothered to read the manual.

Personally I don't use anything more than the car's provided with. I assume if they can get in and start it without the key, then a secondary unit won't deter them.

JS
Additional security on new cars - Ruperts Trooper
JS - in most cases they don't read the manual - it'a amazing how many secondhand cars are sold with a service booklet only, no owner's manual, no security pass card etc.
Additional security on new cars - Ravenger
I only use the standard immobilser and deadlock system on mine. However I do wipe the sat-nav sucker marks off, and hide everything of value.
Additional security on new cars - Hamsafar
On my VW, the second press disables the alarm's interior sensors, how daft is that? especially if you're not sure you locked it so press again. or are in the house and want to make sure it's locked before you go to bed.

I have never used additional security devices. I do have a cheap mobile phone hidden in the boot behind the trim and on charge and that can be tracked to a general area by a website. It would also be useful in an emergency if I didn't have my usual phone.
Additional security on new cars - mare
On my VW the second press disables the alarm's interior sensors how daft is that?

Quite sensible if you wanted to leave something in the car for a brief period - dog or kids (with a window cracked open obviously). I wish our Grandis had this feature, because the alarm keeps going off, because the interior sensors don't like the big exhaust Civic that goes by. We have to lock it with the key to avoid setting the alarm.
Additional security on new cars - Westpig
the most sensible alarm system has one press for alarm/immobiliser (but not interior sensor) so you can leave the dogs ect in there.....and two press for the whole lot to work

why can't the car manufacturers harmonise the systems?

Additional security on new cars - rtj70
When I had VWs the second press of the button disabled the deadlocks but had nothing to do with the alarm. There was a button on the B pillar (low down) on the driver's side that disabled the alarm.

The Vauxhalls and Ford I have had needed two presses for deadlocks.