Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - rubber
hi guys,
just an idea.will it work?
mitsi evo 8 as a daily commute car for wife......she loves the looks on one.
driven daily from west yorkshire to manchester, round trip of 90 miles.
fuel is fully paid for via company fuel card.
running costs?
reliability?
our lass is no girl racer revving the guts off an engine

Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - MichaelR
No, absolutely ridiculous idea. Really very daft.

For a start they havea 6000 mile service interval. The running costs of an Evo are absolutely huge - many true petrolheads cannot justify it so what on earth is the point in using one as a commuter car for your wife, who has no interest in its performance, simply becuase she likes the way it looks?

Buy a Lancer 1.5 Sport instead.
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - Gromit {P}
High insurance, thirsty (fuel is paid for, but refuelling stops every 250 miles) and, afaik, service every 4500 miles. No concessions to creature comfort and the 4wd drivetrain tends to shunt in traffic. Or so say the road tests.

A Subaru Imprezza would - believe it or not - be a more comfortable alternative and 'only' needs to see the inside of a garage every 7500 or 10,000 miles, depending on whether you buy an early or current model. An Audi S3 or Golf GTi are less extreme again and, as such, might be better suited to the job. But how does Mrs Rubber rate the looks?
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - barneybee
Running costs = high. Low fuel economy, very low mileage between servicing (3000- maybe model 300, 320, 400 dependant?), expensive parts & labour. With that sort of mileage you'd be servicing it every few months.

As far as I know they are very reliable. I think you'd take a massive hit on depreciation with the mileage it will incur. Something to bear in mind is comfort, the ride might be too firm and the exhaust too noisey. Although it could be done, it's not really a car designed for mile munching, it's more a tarmac terrorist.

Have to agree with the post above for alternatives unless something like a 330d appeals.

Edited by idbarnett on 16/10/2007 at 23:32

Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - mare
I have an Impreza WRX and a 15 mile commute if you take the straight line from Bath to Bristol. My petrol bill has doubled (i knew that it would) and the car does shunt in traffic and also it nods / bobs on straight roads cruising at 70/80.

I mainly go home the long way through the lanes. 10 miles longer but takes the same time. I'm taking the train today.

90 miles a day? In a Evo? Or for that matter an Impreza? If it's on the M62, no ta. If an Evo anything like an Impreza (which i'm led to belive they are by the perennial comparisons) it'll drive you nuts. If it's back roads, maybe, but I think that you need to be in the right mood to get the best out of the car. and will she (or anyone for that matter) be in the right mood every day?
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - normd2
an Evo 8 in Manchester? - don't worry, get it ,use it, enjoy it, but it won't last; it'll get nicked soon enough then you can use the insurance for something more sensible but at least you'll be able to tell the grandkids you had one once...
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - LHM
I'd have to agree with the consensus and so no way, José :-(

The idea of a 45-mile commute on a rainy winter's night in such a car seems like a nightmare. I'd go for something large-ish with an automatic 'box. Volvo S80/S60?
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - retgwte
main question is where are you going to park it?

if its anywhere public it will get nicked within a few weeks

Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - gmac
Do it, even if it's just to see the look on the Finance Directors face after the first months fuel bills hit the mat :)
Buy a set of ear plugs too and start looking for alternative routes to the M62.
You'll be able to tell when she has driven the back roads home as she will be grinning from ear to ear.
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - Gromit {P}
Two other ideas:

1. If its the look of the Evo 8 that appeals to Mrs Rubber, but she's not bothered about the performance, look for a rally replica based on a standard Lancer. Of if you're concerned that such a car would have been thrashed, get a regular Lancer and have the aftermarket Rally bits added yourself.

2. If its the idea of a lean, mean, racing machine that appeals, how about Japanese 'heritage metal' such as the Toyota Celica, Supra or Mitzi FTO. Tomo and Aprilla, among other backroomers, have experience of these cars and might be able to comment on their suitability. Some of these come in automatic versions which ease the commute. 10 years ago, the Site Manager at my first job had a Celica which spent most of its life ferrying around the M4. When he wasn't driving it, it was part of the fleet pool, and the only recurring complaint I recall hearing was that the low driving position limited visibility. Worth a look?

HTH,
Gromit
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - injection doc
you must be joking. I would suggest she wears a spinal brace & teeth gaurd, has a tracker fitted & a tow bar for the fuel bowser & an account with the garage for regular servicing & a spare car to carry her bits in so they don't shake apart. Rubber mount for her phone & a bullet proof sat nav!
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - Martin Devon
That's a NO then!

MD
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - FotheringtonThomas
It seems that people these days are a bit wimpy. I'd give it a go, even though it looks as though a backwards cap in "Burberry check" is in order.
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - DP
Great car, but it will be a scumbag magnet.

Exactly the kind of car people kick your front door in, or knock you over the head for.

I could live with the noise, and outrageous fuel consumption is something you should be prepared for with any rally rep, but I would do nothing but worry about my other half when she was out in it. And I live in a relatively "nice" small town.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - blue_haddock
Actually though it's not as daft as some people think. A friend of mine has recently sold his 306 S16 and Mitsi 3000GT and bought a modified Mitsi Evo MR FQ320 to replace them both with. He commutes in that although it's not as far as the OP's commute.
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - spikeyhead {p}
I've owned a couple of Imprezza Turbo's, which are slightly more relaxing to drive. they are annoying things to drive in traffic. They;re ok on a mororway. They;re great on a winding road. They're horrible to pay for the running costs, tyres being the biggest shock, £500 every 10k miles
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - qxman {p}
A few years ago I briefly had an Impreza WRX (turbo - bugeye version). Only had it briefly because it was hit by a van whilst parked-up and written off.
It was OK for commuting, but heavy on fuel during the couple of months I had it.

This year I bought a 2007 Impreza 2.0RX (non-turbo 160PS engine - hawkeye shape). Its a lot quieter than the old WRX and more refined (no whine from the drivetrain like the older one) with better clutch and gearbox action. I'm very happy with the car because its quick enough for daily driving and the handling is lovely - and fuel consumption is currently running between a worst case of 27mpg and best of 36mpg (stready 70mph cruise). Headlights are also brilliant compared to the old one - but they still fit a rubbish stereo!
Mitsubishi Evo 8 as commute car for 90 miles? - Pete M
My wife has a 1997 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Estate (Legnum) as an everyday car. There are no problems with drivetrain roughness or whine. It's not quite as sporty as an EVO, but it's quick enough to see off almost anything. Steerable rear differential (AYC) makes it a real cornering expert, and is the best handling car I've driven. Its well regarded in the CBC guide here too. Worth considering for a 90 mile commute.