Undertaking/overtaking - Mad Maxy
On (mainly) M-ways with four or more lanes it really is difficult for anyone (even thoughtful, intelligent drivers) to make smooth progress by overtaking on the right at most times of the day.

The greater 'choice' of lane means that, unless the road is almost empty, individual vehicles are travelling at a greater number of speeds within a given range - there's more road space for the volume of traffic, and drivers are better able to 'choose' their speed (as opposed to having it dictated to them by a volume of slower-moving vehicles), and they do. They also have more choice as to which lane they use, and thus the extreme LH lane is often the least used...

So on these roads applying the 'overtake only on the right' rule means frequent lane-change manoeuvres - increasing the risk of accidents. It really is time that the rule was abandoned and 'undertaking' officially condoned.
Undertaking/overtaking - a900ss
Or alternatively if people had better lane discipline, we could all stick to the current rules...
Undertaking/overtaking - OldSock

Just south of Peterborough, the A1(M) becomes a very nice stretch of 4-lane each way road. Late at night it is very nearly deserted, but I still happen on people doing 70mph in lane 3 when all other lanes are available. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help myself 'undertaking' them at 80 in lane 1 - naturally keeping a wary eye out for movement on their part.
Undertaking/overtaking - rogue-trooper
OldSock is right. The most popular lane seems to be Lane 3. However, I never undertake unless the person in the outside lane refuses point blank to move over and I have been following for quite some time. I know that that is illegal but.....
Undertaking/overtaking - FP
I know well the road you mention, OS. I travel on it every week and last evening at around 9:00 p.m., southbound, encountered exactly the situation you describe, except I think it was someon doing 70 mph in lane 2 on an otherwise almost deserted road. I overtook and pulled sharply over to lane to make a point. Did it the driver take the hint?

Similarly, last Saturday morning on the M1, northbound, between Junctions 10 and 11. The traffic is accelerating up to normal speed after clearing the roadworks. There's this guy with three others crammed into an ancient Micra, doing 60 in lane 2, overtaking nothing. I go past in lane 3 and glance at the driver. He's clinging to the steering wheel, his whole body rigid, eyes focused far ahead. I doubt he was aware of anything around him. I pull across to lane 1 behind a lorry and exit at junction 11. As I wait at the lights here's the Micra right behind me - must have suddenly realised he needed Junction 11 and pulled across two lanes at the last minute.

In both instances the problem seemed to be a total lack of awareness of the situation, rather than deliberate obstruction.
Undertaking/overtaking - Round The Bend
"I overtook and pulled sharply over to lane to make a point"

Some berk did this to me the other day and nearly swerved into the back of the slow moving vehicle that I was in lane 2 to overtake. Have often seen people doing this zigzagging their way down the carriageway ahead as they enforce their opinion of other drivers standards ......

Undertaking/overtaking - Squiffy
With persistent lane-hoggers I use "circling" which is entirely legal and safe.

Overtake them on the outside, then when safely past indicate and move over to the lane to the inside of them. Slow down and wait for them to pass you. When they are past, then indicate, move to the outside land and repeat the procedure.

My record of doing this was a staggering 13 times with some guy who was stunningly oblivious to what was going on and rigidly sat at 65mph on lane 2 of a very lightly populated motorway.

Most people get the hint after 2 or 3 circles.
Undertaking/overtaking - FotheringtonThomas
It really is time that the rule was abandoned and 'undertaking' officially condoned.

It's really time people learned to drive properly on motorways, and applied that knowledge.
Undertaking/overtaking - ianhadden
I live on a huge estate, lots of dual carriageways. I was behind an "L" driver who went left round the roundabout-then pulled RIGHT onto the right hand carriageway! The instructor grabbed the wheel. I was behind wanting to overtake. The point being , where I live most people drive on the right, so I stick to the left, through many roundabouts. They are obviously intending to turn righ-right?
"My record of doing this was a staggering 13 times "

It was staggering all right! IMO your driving was just as bad as his was.
Undertaking/overtaking - Squiffy
It was staggering all right! IMO your driving was just as bad as his was.

Why was my driving as bad as his? I was driving perfectly safely and within the law, with proper regard for the highway code, using my mirrors and indicators to only manoeuvre when safe to do so.
Undertaking/overtaking - movilogo
An unwritten rule for UK motorways - lane 1 for lorries, lane 2 for cars and lane 3 for driving over 90 mph.

People are basically lazy ;) They don't want to juggle between lanes. Most of the time, you can't really drive on lane 1 for the lorries. So, middle lane hogging has become defacto standard on motorways.

However, there are instances, when the lane 1 is empty for miles and very few cars are using it.... in these cases I move to lane 1 and then cruise at 70 mph.

If a car wants to move from lane 2 to lane 1, he must indicate and check the mirrors. So, I don't see any harm in doing "undertaking".

Undertaking/overtaking - OldSock
There are various aspects to this:

1) Many drivers still refer to Lane 1 as the "slow lane", and Lane 3 (of 3) as the "fast lane". They would appear to be too timid to use lane 3, but don't want to be associated with 'slow' drivers - so they stay in the middle 'Goldilocks' lane, at "my speed" (just right!).

2) Some opine that lane 1 often contains lorry tyre shreds and other detritus, so best avoided.

3) Others declare that using a centre lane gives maximum room for recovery in the event of a high-speed tyre blowout, or other mishap.

4) Lane 1 often becomes 'furrowed' by lorry usage, and can make piloting wide-tyred larger cars more tiresome.

5) Some drivers are just bloody-minded :-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2007 at 18:10

Look, I'd love it if everyone applied lane discipline as they should - and as I try to do. The point of my original post is that, on 4- or 5-lane carriageways especially, it's ridiculous to expect all drivers regardless of ability (yes, even you, dear reader, are likely to have some failings) to have the ability manage their speed and position such that they are always in the most left-possible lane.

Surely the ultimate aim of traffic laws and road management is to promote smooth progress of vehicles, which in turn confers safety and minimises traffic congestion. Having frequently to dodge around slower-moving vehicles just isn't compatible with that.
The simple problem with undertaking is that the bloke who is oblivious to all in lane 2 may just happen to decide to drop back into lane 1 equally oblivious to the fact that you are there.
Undertaking/overtaking - Lud
Exactly RTB.

In the US undertaking is an accepted practice, and people are used to looking in their mirrors before any lane change. Here, it isn't accepted practice. Indeed it used to be forbidden by the highway code, although these days it is said to be permitted in slow moving traffic. So the situation here is ill-defined, with undertaking informally tolerated but not expected by everyone, British drivers tending to be taken by surprise when undertaken. I have been myself. I would think most people here have at some time.

Quite a lot of drivers engage in systematic undertaking, though, and on the A3 for example at busy times some cars can be seen weaving through the traffic using all three lanes.

You have to be very on top of the game to get away with that without the odd heart-stopping moment. I would find it pretty hard on the nervous system to do it for long at my age.

HJ sometimes recommends undertaking. I don't suppose he ever does it dangerously and I imagine he has a hawk-like eye for dodgy mimsers on his front offside, but I worry sometimes that others might take the advice without being up to it in their personal observational skills.
Undertaking/overtaking - Cliff Pope
The OP refered to motorways having 4 or more lanes. Imagine the situation where someone was doing 65 in lane 3, and you came up in lane 1 doing 70, with a clear road ahead of you. It would be ridiculous to move all the way over to lane 4 and then back to lane 1. Undertaking in lane 1 would still leave a clear lane 2 between.

And if you did move over into lane 2 and waited for a gap in lane 3 and then lane 4, you would become a lane hogger too.
Undertaking/overtaking - Lud
But I have to agree with CP about four and five-lane stretches of e.g. the M25. I believe that in those places most drivers do expect to be undertaken sometimes at speed, since these stretches are really glorified multi-lane slip roads.

In ordinary stretches of motorway though, and even more in A-road dual carriageways where the lanes tend to be narrower, people are liable to change lanes to the left without checking their n/s mirrors. That was what I was talking about.

And incidentally, people often forget to signal when pulling left. I do myself sometimes.

Edited by Lud on 16/10/2007 at 16:19

Exactly RTB and Lud.

Under a change of rule/law, people would have to expect cars to be passing on both sides. And of course, drivers have a duty now to manoeuvre without causing other road users to change speed or direction - and without causing collisions. So use of mirrors and simply turning one's eyes and/or head is called for currently.

Which would make practical implementation of a law permitting undertaking quite straightforward.