Dim rear lights, dim mechanic? - Clanger
A day or two ago I followed my son's AX through town and noticed the offside brake light was dim. When I saw him again at home, I suggested we investigate, and then subjected him to a Hawkeye masterclass on fault-finding which I certainly won't bore you good people with. When the rack that holds all the lamps in the cluster was exposed we noticed that other bulbs were glowing when the brake light was on. Certainly a bad earth then. Off came the nearside light cluster and the earth leads for both sides with its vaguely triangular-section bolt, presumably designed to scrape off the paint from the earth point threads when new. A bit of work with a penknife and a wire brush and a dab of Vaseline and all the lights seemed to be working properly again. I left son to put things back together and we tested the lights when he'd finished. The offside lights were all dim again. Curses. Off came the cluster but this time without the bulbs; they were left behind in the wing. Son hadn't clipped the rack onto the back of the light cluster. Two faults with the same symptoms; at age 18 do you think he will have learnt anything?

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 15:26

Citroen AX dim rear lights, dim mechanic? - Screwloose
at age 18 do you think he will have learnt anything?

Years of experience of apprentices [remember them?] YOPS; "schemes" and customers lead me to believe that eighteen-year-olds have nothing left to learn - they already know it all.

[I'm surprised that he hasn't told you that....]
Citroen AX dim rear lights, dim mechanic? - mjm
The main thing that 18 year old motorists seem to learn about car maintainance in my experience is how to get dad to fix it.