CV gaiter replacement - Phil P
Hi all,

A little advice needed please. My wife's Matiz failed it's MOT on a split CV gaiter. I trust the MOT garage but they were too busy to fit me in so suggested I take it to a guy who works opposite. He called yesterday to say he'd replaced the gaiter but that the locking wheel hub nut had broken in the process, and he couldn't get a replacement from Daewoo until Tuesday. Since my wife had needed the car over the weekend, he said that if I was desperate I could take the car in the meantime with the nut tightened but not locked.

So just wanted to check with someone more in the know than myself - does this sound normal and reasonable for the work that was required? Also can anyone give me a guide as to the usual labour time and parts cost for a CV gaiter replacement?

Many thanks in advance.

----
PhiL
CV gaiter replacement - RichardW
Phil

Should be about 1 hour labour to change the boot, and the kit costs about £15 - £20 usually - although if the CV joint cannot be split the shaft has to be dismantled and the boot fitted from the other end which takes a bit more time.

It sounds like the hub nut locking tab has broken - not unbelievable, the hub nut has to be undone to do the job - I don't know what sort of locking device they use. The nut is very tight, and the locking tab is really belt and braces, just stops the (remote) possiblity that the nut will unscrew from vibration over time. I personally wouldn't worry about running a few local miles with no locking device (I could never really see how a flimsy split pin was going to stop a hub nut coming undone....)
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....

Edited by RichardW on 12/10/2007 at 13:08

CV gaiter replacement - bell boy
Well seing as the locking wheel nut remover was made out of sticky toffee how can you give a labout time? might have taken him all day might have taken him 10 minutes to remove the unremovable locking wheel nut.
Time to change boot on the car? an hour and a half
CV gaiter replacement - bell boy
RichardW if it was the hub nut the mechanic wouldnt let it go out im sure? ,these are usually peened over these days anyway and are a one shot go,im sure its a wheel nut and the mechanic has done the other 3 up tightly and the 4th one tight enough to not cause concern while the car does the weekly shop, (its what made britain great remember,make do and mend till it can be fixed).
Many thanks for the replies guys. He definitely said it was the hub nut as initially I also thought he meant one of the wheel nuts.

I did actually have the wheel off myself a week or two ago so can't see him having had problems undoing the nuts...hmmm unless he didn't locate the locking wheel nut 'key' in the glovebox and forced it off...

----
PhiL
Well I just spoke to the mechanic again, he confirmed it's definitely a locking hub nut that's broken, rather than a wheel nut or a split pin.

Says the new one's just been delivered so fingers crossed!

----
PhiL
CV gaiter replacement - mjm
>>Says the new one's just been delivered so fingers crossed!<<

Hopefully not the thread on the new nut! :0)