Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - Matthew_J_King
I've got a 55, Mk5, manual, petrol 1.6SE now just over 40k mostly motorway commuting over 60mph. I've only Dealer serviced so far and always on time (might be 200 miles over by the time it is actually serviced).

Twice now, the Low Oil indicator has come on days before I take it in for a Service (and about 200 miles since the Service warning stopped telling me in how many miles).

Is this model just leaky or is my particular car bad at retaining oil? Is a Dealer likely to find a problem (and hopefully fix it) or do I need to buy a proper car (not at all impressed vs my old Mk4)?

Also, PAS 'might' be slighlty stiffer - could this be connected to low/old (long life spec) Oil?

Cheers,
Matt.

Edited by Matthew_J_King on 11/10/2007 at 11:47

Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - Screwloose
Matt

How often do you check the oil level?
Never, I've got a (all be it rather basic) onboard computer to do that :)

Seriously - I don't usually check manually with the dipstick, I don't expect the Oil lamp to come on, especially as I'm paying a Dealer to use Long Life Oil. Am I being naive and should at least do a manual check monthly?

I haven't manually checked the level this time, but last time I topped it up by at least something like 0.5 to 2l.
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - Screwloose
Matt

Long-life oil is it's service life; not it's ability to stay in the sump.

Next time you're at the dealers; ask how much a replacement engine is. [Say £5000+?]

Warranty doesn't cover running low on oil. [The ECU stores that info.]

So; how often do you check your tyres for pressure and visible damage?
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - Hamsafar
He has run-flats for that! ;op
Thanks for the sarcasm guys - I'll leave you to dwell in your superiority in peace.
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - DP
This is the danger of extended service intervals. It encourages a mindset in some people that a car needs no attention outside of the service schedule. Cars are still complex machines, and will never be maintenance free. In fact, with long life servicing (an oxymoron IMO), owner/driver checks are crucial, as it's that much longer that you could potentially be driving with a serious or dangerous problem.

I believe basic mechanical checks and an understanding of their importance should form part of the driving test.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - bell boy
It is part of todays driving test though to know how to lift a bornett
unfortunately if people want to be above mucky things then maybe they should get a butler
Blimey, you boys sure are touchy about your closed little world. At least DP gave a sensible reply (thanks DP). Knowing where the Alternator is dosn't make you a better person.

I used to do all the mucky things I was able to (change my own oil & filter etc) a few cars ago, but now I'm too busy not too posh (it's only a Golf!) and the manufacturers a (deliberatley?) making cars less and less easy for owners to maintain.

And for the record, I check my tyre pressures regularilly and don't have run-flats.
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - daveyjp
So check the oil at the same time as you do your tyres! It only takes about the same time as checking an additional tyre and this is less time than waiting for the RAC following the engine blowing up.
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - Dynamic Dave
and the manufacturers a (deliberatley?) making cars less and less easy for owners to maintain.

Actually they're making it easy to find, check, and top up the basic stuff (eg, screenwash, oil level, coolant) by colour coding the caps / dipstick a bright yellow (or some other vivid colour) so you know exactly where they are when you open the bonnet.

I recently got accused of being patronising on another forum when I pointed out to someone that the oil warning light was a low oil pressure light AND not a low level oil warning light. He carried on driving the car with the light flickering on and off as he thought it was just an electrical fault.

So, whether I'm being patronising towards you or not, checking the oil level regularly is one of the fundamental basics of owning a car. Modern engines use oil; some use more oil than engines of old - fact.

You'll probably find it written in your handbook somewhere that your engine could consume a litre of oil per every 1000 miles.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/10/2007 at 14:51

Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - normd2
last time I had the RAC out the guy told me about his previous call-out. The oil warning light was flashing on and off at roundabouts in Inverness but the driver thought he'd be ok to leave it till he got home to Manchester (or similar) The car made it to near Dunfermline when the con rods decided to exit the block...
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - jase1
> You'll probably find it written in your handbook somewhere that your engine could consume a litre of oil per every 1000 miles.

I always assumed this was a get out of jail card though -- each car I've owned (all Far-Eastern) have said the same thing in the handbook, but none of them consume so much as a drop of oil.

But, it has to be said that even the best-kept car can spring a small (or not so small) leak, and the oil can drain out within weeks or even days, so it's a foolish person who relies on the oil pressure light IMO ;)
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - DP
This has long been a VW petrol engine trait. The mk2 Golf GTI was notorious for burning oil until it had done 60-70k when it would settle down. My old 60k Polo was the only car I've ever had to regularly top up oil on.

The Mondeo uses about half a litre between (10k) services, and the Scenic has dropped a mill or two on the dipstick in 8k. Neither need topping up between services.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - Bill Payer
I haven't manually checked the level this time but last time I topped it up
by at least something like 0.5 to 2l.

I'm wondering what % of the sump capacity 2L is! About 50% I would imagine!!
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - jc2
Don't explain everything to these people;they're keeping us in business!!!
Low Oil indicator always lights when Service due - maltrap
for the sake of your wallet check your oil level weekly and top up if necessary with the correct oil, probably fully synthetic.