mercedes oil pressure - barney100
Checked the oil the other day on my W C class diesel and the oil was needing topping up so i put about half a pint in and occasionally the oil high warning light comes on the motorway. the sump can't be much overfull as i put only the half pint in so how sensitive are these pressure sensors? you get so many different answers on how to check diesel oil levels that it is confusing. some say check when cold, others when hot and yet some say run it, let it cool 10 mins then check it. Anyone sure of the best way to check levels?
mercedes oil pressure - jc2
What does your handbook say?In your post you mention pressure but talk about levels!
mercedes oil pressure - Bill Payer
Firstly, this has nothing to do with pressure - it's oil level.

What year is the car, and how did you check the oil - using the dash computer or with a dipstick?

MB say leave for at least 5 mins if engine was hot, or 30 mins if engine was only run briefly. To my mind that means you might as well check when cold if possible.

Mine (C270CDi) has the only the dash display - no dipstick. Apparently it asks when it wants more oil (it never has) - but the level has to drop by at least a litre before it deamnds more oil. Half a pint is neither here nor there.

You really don't want the high oil level light on. If it's intermittant then I wouldn't worry about it, but if it stays on then get the excess oil removed.
re the merc oil level - barney100
To the guys who offered advice thanks, I have been checking the oil level after a run when about ten minutes has passed. The warning light is intermittent and only on the motorway. Lowering the speed soon has the light out and there must only be a tiny amount of oil too much in the sump. The car has covered 125,000 miles and i have the oil changed every six months.

{Moves to thread discussing it}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/10/2007 at 19:53