Cheapest diesel oil - horatio
I have to flush out my diesel engine, before filling up with some good stuff. So I want the cheapest of the cheap diesel oil.

How much do you think I could get a 4.5 or 5 litre can for and where from?

Thanks
Cheapest diesel oil - GregSwain
Tesco do a 15w40 - can't remember how much but it's certainly cheap.
Am I right it has to be diesel spec?
Cheapest diesel oil - DP
AFAIK, the only difference between diesel and petrol oils of the same grade and quality is the detergent content. Therefore the purpose is for flushing / cleaning, you'd really want a diesel oil.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Well it is because I think there might be some water in the sump (just finished changing HG)
Cheapest diesel oil - RichardW
Most oils these days meet the diesel and petrol specs. TBH if you're only going to put it in for a few miles, then any old stuff will do provided the viscosity rating is right.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Cheapest diesel oil - madf
Any supermarket. Under £8.
madf
Cheapest diesel oil - Cliff Pope
Diesel oil is the derv you put in the tank. Lubricating oil, possibly to diesel spec, goes in the engine oil filler.

I only mention this pedantry because there was an earlier thread in which someone was almost induced to use diesel (fuel) as a flushing agent when lubricating oil for diesels was intended.
Cheapest diesel oil - OldSock
Would it be pedantic to note that DERV is an acronym for 'Diesel-Engined Road Vehicle', and refers to the vehicle, not its fuel :-)
Cheapest diesel oil - nortones2
Is there a particular reason for "flushing" this engine, rather than use a good oil, which might clean out deposits over time? A temporary cheapo oil isn't likely to flush old deposits, I'd have thought. There are substances supposed to flush the engine, but may be snake-oil.
Yes the reason is I think there might be water in the sump, after a head gasket change. And I want to try to get all the water out by draining the current oil, filling with cheap for say 10 - 15 miles and then emptying it again.
Cheapest diesel oil - Mapmaker
Second hand oil.

Do you have another car that is approaching oil-change time? If so, use the oil from that. Else go talk to friendly garage.
Cheapest diesel oil - Hamsafar
The cheapest oil that says
API C?
or
ACEA B?
Cheapest diesel oil - nortones2
Ah, see now!
I was looking today for an oil

Tesco 4 litres for 7.99 15W/40 (£1.87/litre)

single litre "value" oil 20W/50 (£1.65/litre)

4 stroke lawnmower oil says on the back SAE 30 reduced in price from £3 to 75p/litre

Ok to use the lawnmower oil?

I don't have any used oil, suppose I could ask a garage for some, but it might not be a good idea.

Edited by horatio on 02/11/2007 at 20:36

Cheapest diesel oil - Mr.Tee43
I hope this is not a VAG PD diesel engined car !
It's a 'S' reg Fiat 1910 TD
Cheapest diesel oil - PhilW
"just finished changing HG"

To be honest, I don't really understand why you have to get the cheapest oil available. Surely after doing that job why does it matter if you save a fiver on oil? Admittedly you wouldn't go out and buy Mobil 1 or whatever, but why not pop into Halfords or even Woolies and buy any right spec oil for the engine, run it for a while, and change it. Even good branded stuff for that engine ain't going to cost £20, and so the cheapest used rubbish will only save a max of £20 - is it worth it? Get some Comma/own brand etc from Halfords (or Woolies, or Wilko or Sainsbury's or Tescos)
--
Phil

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/11/2007 at 00:10

Cheapest diesel oil - rtj70
PhilW you've missed the OP point. He wants to put oil in it, drive for 10-15 miles, and then drain it and put decent stuff in.
Cheapest diesel oil - PhilW
"PhilW you've missed the OP point"
Maybe - but why not nip to the nearest supermarket, buy the cheapest right spec oil and bung it in? How much are you going to save by searching diligently for the absolute cheapest? A quid? 2 quid? It's like driving 20 miles to get a penny off a gallon of petrol. It might save 50p but is it worth it? One may have better things to do.
--
Phil
PhilW I agree there's a limit of how much you save going for the absolute cheapest. Also you might get a better price for a larger amount of the decent stuff? I guess getting rid of all this oil properly will be another trip somewhere too.
Using the lawnmower oil, I'd only have to shell out £2.25 saving me atleast £10

It is only for 10 - 15 miles, then I'll do a proper oil and filter change. Assuming the car is ok, i.e not blowing on the HG.

I have done this HG as cheaply as i could and it has still cost me £50 I don't want to waste more money if it is destined for the scrapyard.

So theoretically the lawnmower oil should be as good as any other motor oil -for this short job- right?

Edited by horatio on 02/11/2007 at 22:15

I have no idea but risking saving £10 against cost and time already would not be worth it in my opinion. I think I'd get some supermarket correct spec oil for this car.
Cheapest diesel oil - moulder
local factor (proper factor not halfords) should sell you something for about £5. Personally I would mix it with a can of engine flush as it would help emulsify the water in the oil and ensure that you drain it well. It would also desludge the bottom end of the engine too.