rusted tail pipe falling off - wolfgirl
Wonder if anyone could give me advice. I bought a second hand polo 2 months ish ago and the tail pipe was a bit rusty. He told me that it had passed MOT and had a year and it was fine. Well yesterday the tail pipe became loose and is now hanging. I only had a months MOT on the vehicle but i have been reading the back of the MOT and it says if through rust or corrosion (3 month period) a problem arises that was passed on MOT then I am to contact VOSA. I have 12 days left until the 3 month period on the MOT is up and i wondered if i have any rights as to him fixing the vehicle for free? Does it account for things like corroded tail pipe? I have tried to call him just now but there was no answer, obviously i will threaten to take action with trading standards but i just wondered if i had a leg to stand on. Any help really appreciated right now as i just dont have a couple of hundred quid to replace the exhaust and i dont see why i should considering he passed its MOT when it doesnt look like they should of!
rusted tail pipe falling off - bell boy
a back box should be about £50 all in fitted unless you live in central london not hundreds
rusted tail pipe falling off - wolfgirl
Oh sorry, having a girl moment (dont really know about cars) presumed the whole exhaust would need to be replaced and last time i had to do that on a previous car it cost me £150. Thats not too bad then but im sure he shouldnt of passed it.
rusted tail pipe falling off - bell boy
its only a fail if its going to fall off or a hole in it ,it could be gobbed up with concrete or plaster of paris and it can still pass
rusted tail pipe falling off - DP
it could be gobbed up with concrete or plaster of paris and it can still
pass

I got a car through one year with a de-ended beer can and two exhaust clamps. This was not to sell on, I hasten to add, but it prolonged the useful life of the system by a good 6 months. MOT examiner had a little smile to himself, and after a bit of prodding and gentle levering said it was secure and not leaking, so he wasn't going to fail it.

It's also quite possible even without such bodgery for an exhaust to go from MOT passworthy to hanging off in 3 months.

If it had been MOT'd last week, that's quite different.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
rusted tail pipe falling off - Dynamic Dave
but im sure he shouldnt of passed it.

Providing at the time of the MOT the exhaust wasn't blowing, excessively deteriorated, and was fixed securely to the car, then it gets a pass ticket.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm

{or as BB suggests ;o) }

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/10/2007 at 14:49

rusted tail pipe falling off - L'escargot
I've just read Note 5 on the back of my car's MOT Test Certificate and there's no indication whatsoever regarding the exact purpose of ringing VOSA if you think the vehicle shouldn't have passed. It may be merely to encourage scrupulously honest owners to get the certificate invalidated, rather than to give them ammunition to use against the seller. In any case I think that in the context of Note 5 VOSA are concerned about vehicle safety related corrosion, not exhaust noise related corrosion.
--
L\'escargot.
rusted tail pipe falling off - bathtub tom
I bought a second hand polo 2 months ish ago and the tail pipe was a bit rusty

Sorry, but by your own admission, you saw the corrosion, and went ahead and purchased the car, so presumably you accepted it was rusty.

I'm a little confused by your statements:
>>He told me that it had passed MOT and had a year
>>I only had a months MOT on the vehicle
rusted tail pipe falling off - Bill Payer
We had a Polo and then a Clio after that, both owned from new, and the exhaust back box on both failed very suddenly at about 4yrs old. In fact on the Clio I detected it blowing and 3 miles later the rear pipe snapped from the box.

It's one of those things that can fail anytime and I don't think either the seller or the MOT place should have any liability in this case.
rusted tail pipe falling off - L'escargot
I'm a little confused by your statements:
>>He told me that it had passed MOT and had a year
>>I only had a months MOT on the vehicle

I suspect that wolfgirl doesn't realise that an MOT certificate only certifies the condition of the vehicle as being acceptable at the time of the test. She probably thinks that because the next test isn't required until 12 months later then the condition is guaranteed for 12 months, and she's complaining that her exhaust failed after one month.
--
L\'escargot.
rusted tail pipe falling off - TurboD
never rely on an MOT as an acceptable standard of road worthiness. It is just a legal requirement to have one. They are bought and sold , you know.
Always get someone you know, and trust, to check out a car before money changes hands, this check should take at least one hour, perhaps longer.
rusted tail pipe falling off - aahbarnes
I think the rust thing referred to on the MOT certificate is more about rust to the body or chassis of the car, not to the tail pipe. An exhaust is a normal wear and tear item, it'd be very unfair to try and claim this from the seller.