Postal Strike - Collos25
I have bought a car presently on a SORN waiting for the new insurance cert to come which seems unlikely in the next week due to the postal strike I need to tax it but obviously can't and need to use it any ideas?.
Postal Strike - local yokel
If it's insured it ought to show on the insurance industry database. DVLA can see that, so have you tried calling the local DVLA office to see if they can look it up, check the MoT online as well (or check your doc) and then issue a tax disc to you in person? DVLA offices at:

www.dvla.gov.uk/contactus/localoffices/findnear.as...x
Postal Strike - Bill Payer
Strictly speaking, your not supposed to use it until the insurance cert is in your hand.
Postal Strike - Jonathan {p}
Bill

Can you let me know where it says this. I've insured cars over the phone with immediate cover and driven them (with the knowledge of the insurers). I always thought I was covered as long as the insurance was valid, not because a piece of paper has to be physically put in my letterbox. What happens if the policy has a mistake in it (like misspelt name)? Are you stil not covered until the correctly spelt one is received?

Thanks

Jonathan
>>Bill
>>Can you let me know where it says this.

Road Traffic Act 1988:
147 Issue and surrender of certificates of insurance and of security

(1) A policy of insurance shall be of no effect for the purposes of this Part of this Act unless and until there is delivered by the insurer to the person by whom the policy is effected a certificate (in this Part of this Act referred to as a ?certificate of insurance?) in the prescribed form and containing such particulars of any conditions subject to which the policy is issued and of any other matters as may be prescribed.
Postal Strike - J Bonington Jagworth
"A policy of insurance shall be of no effect .. until there is delivered by the insurer to the person by whom the policy is effected a certificate"

Hard to argue with that, much as I'd like to. I had no idea!
Postal Strike - james86
Or you could try and buy the tax online. I think you need the reference number from the V5C, sounds like you have this already?
Postal Strike - Dynamic Dave
Can your insurance company fax you the certificate?
Would a PO accept a fax copy?
" Or you could try and buy the tax online."

But how will the tax disc find it's way to the car if postie won't bring it? To be fair Plod's ANPR won't pick it up, but Plod using the Mk1 eyeball will still tug him, and give him a hard time. The offence is failing to display a valid tax disc, so even if the disc is in the pots, he's still in trouble.
Postal Strike - james86
>>But how will the tax disc find it's way to the car if postie won't bring it?

That is a very fair point! Never occured to me that if the postman won't bring the insurance certificate, he is unlikely to bring a tax disc!
Postal Strike - james86
>>Would a PO accept a fax copy?

I tried this once and they wouldn't have any of it.

A faxed copy however has been good enough for me to collect a new car from a dealer, and for me to collect a few hire cars (on own insuarance).
Postal Strike - Citroënian {P}
Our tax disc got held up in the last strike - ok, I didn't leave a lot of time for it to arrive (a week) but still ended up having to use another car and keep the C4 off the road for a couple of days until the disc turned up. Like someone mentioned above, ANPR would have been fine but didn't fancy getting into a discussion with plod for not having a valid disc on the car
-------------------------
07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
Postal Strike - GroovyMucker
I think what Bill P may be getting at is the potential for problems if you get a producer and can't produce. The answer would be (a) be polite to bobby and explain - he may even be able to confirm that the vehicle is insured and be persuaded not to require you to produce insurance docs; (b) anticipate some inconvenience when you get a summons (assuming (a) hasn't worked) and be ready to explain to the court. As long as you can prove what happened - without stretching the truth - you should be okay.
The OP still has the problem that failing to display (not failing to pay for) a tax disc is an offence.
Postal Strike - GroovyMucker
The OP still has the problem that failing to display (not failing to pay for)
a tax disc is an offence.

Absolutely. I was only considering the insurance question.
Postal Strike - Westpig
if there are any Old Bill out there with enough time and energy in this day and age to hassle someone for failing to display a tax disc, (as opposed to not having any tax at all), then they'd need their backside kicked
Postal Strike - Collos25
Problem solved by using a friends traders policy(does not add an extra owner to the log book before anybody comments).Nobody accepts a faxed or emailed copy and TSB/Churchill will not send one, the DVLA is haphazard as when it uploads the insurance vehicle data from the insurance companies data files and could be as much as 3 weeks delay according to staff at the DVLA so much for a paperless society.So I could not tax it at a local tax centre because my new cert had not reached the data base but I could tax it as I have stated above so a bent trader could tax uninsured cars as long as he has a traders policy and believe me the staff at the post office just glanced at it I could have printed it myself what appears to be a pretty watertight system is like a cullender when you dig a little deeper.
Postal Strike - normd2
Andy B - you could have saved some grief by insuring with Direct Line (no relation) hunted high and low for days for insurance cert for the new tax disc and couldn't find it. Phoned on Wednesday for a replacement copy and it popped through my letter-box on Thursday morning - how's that for service? - oh and no charge for it either.
a bent trader could tax uninsured cars as long as he has a traders policy and believe me
the staff at the post office just glanced at it.

That seems absurd. Maybe goes some way to explaining how there are so many uninsured, but taxed, cars on the road.