99 Suspension problems. - jules99691
I Have a Citroen Xantia W reg. Suddenly today, rear suspension wouldn't go up. Drove to work anyway, like on a pogo stick! Then brakes started playing up. Put foot on pedal, nothing would happen, pressed harder, suddenly they 'bit'. Nearly chucked me through the windscreen ! (and ruined my mascara).
So...... checked the HML level, that's fine. Played with suspension on driveway, will go right up, and right down, but not in between.

Do I lay under it and aim WD40 in the general direction of in front of the spare wheel? Or any better ideas?

Moved into a standalone thread for a number of reasons
previous lengthy volume is here dating from 2002 ! - PU

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=6724

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 24/10/2007 at 00:37

99 Xantia Suspension problems. - PhilW
"I Have a Citroen Xantia W reg."

So do we - but I ain't no expert 'cos not had this problem. First thought is that the plastic connector to the rear height corrector has come disconnected - might just need popping back on
Soon I expect, RichardW will be along to solve your problem, otherwise try a question on here
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3Do a search (this might be of help??
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227...n )

In the meantime, "Do I lay under it " - NO! - not without axle stands or a ramp - if a Xantia collapses on you, you will die - it has happened!
Regards

--
Phil
99 Xantia Suspension problems. - mjm
I would be looking at either wishbone bushes or strut top mount. I am assuming that it is the front which is knocking. If it's the rear then radius arm bearings could be the culprit.

I don't honestly think it's related to the hydraulic part of the suspension.

It sounds like the sort of problem that needs investigating with a suitable ramp and a decent pry bar to check for unwanted mechanical play.

hth
99 Xantia Suspension problems. - RichardW
What about the track rod end? I had one of these go on a Xantia and it took me ages to find it - becuase I always put the suspension on high and this masked the play! To check the TRE try and rock the wheel at 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock with it at normal height on the ground - any play felt here is bound to be the TRE. Also if you changed a drop link what did you fit - there seem to be plenty of cheap pattern parts around that knock out of the box. I would only consider fitting Lemforder ones these days - either from Citroen or GSF.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....