Cam belt broken - haroldbishop
Its a Renault Clio 1.4 of about 1998 vintage. Belt has snapped. Car is worth pink fluffy dice all, maybe £800 . Whats the likely damage and is it worth fixing ?
Cam belt broken - GregSwain
Whats the likely damage

Lots.
is it worth fixing ?

No.

It'd cost more than half the car's value to fix, so put the money towards another car.
Cam belt broken - pendulum
It'd cost more than half the car's value to fix so put the money towards
another car.

Really? You can't get a 2nd hand/recon engine fitted for less than £400? I think you can.
Cam belt broken - leef
Scrap the car or get a new engine.... not worth the repair. I had a clio from new (1996) same thing happened, quoted £640 for sorting it all out.

Lee
Cam belt broken - GregSwain
Really? You can't get a 2nd hand/recon engine fitted for less than £400? I think
you can.

New engine, new cambelt kit, full service too obviously, add in the labour = more than £400. The engine itself won't set you back much, but the labour of fitting it, and changing all the relevent bits will. Not really worth it just to salvage a 9y/o shopping trolley.
Cam belt broken - BobL
Friend had cambelt go on Clio of similar age. Cost him £500 at independant in the country. A few bent valves were replaced plus a head reskim. The car itself was only worth £700. Would have been better for him to sell bits off the car and scrap it
What is the condition of the rest of the car. How long is the MOT etc. All must be deciding factors in whether to scrap or repair
Cam belt broken - jase1
I wouldn't spend £5-700 on one repair on a ten year old car.

We have a Daewoo which is worth a similar amount to this Clio (maybe a bit less).

If the cambelt goes, the car goes in the bin. Simple as that. Far better things to spend £500 on, especially as you'll get £100-200 for the broken car on ebay anyway.
Cam belt broken - movilogo
Labor cost for fitting an engine will vary from £300-£500.
The used engine will cost at least £300 or so.

You'll be very luck to get it done under £600. And you know the garages, they will discover some hidden things that also need to be changed.

Definitely not worth repairing.

Cam belt broken - DP
The only remotely feasible way is to source a secondhand engine from a breaker and fit it yourself.
If this is not possible, bin it.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Cam belt broken - local yokel
Try selling it on Ebay first. Start the bidding at £50, which is roughly what it's worth as scrap.
Cam belt broken - local yokel
There's a 1.4 auto on ebay 160163434141 with "punctured the radiator, smashed the drivers headlight and scratched the bumper and radiator guard" and is an insurance write off.

Worth getting the best bits of both? Car is in Clacton.
Cam belt broken - cheddar
Re the OP, "about 1998", if that is 1997 then its a Mk I and not worth much though if it is mid 1998 on it's a MkII and it tidy condition and not too many miles is worth up to perhaps £1500 so might be worth a £500 engine job or a second hand engine.
Cam belt broken - bell boy
op says value of car retail £800, so best thing to do is keep chickens in it or send it to china clutching his end of life certificate
Cam belt broken - haroldbishop
Thanks everyone. The car will be offered as "spares or repairs" in the local rag.

Cam belt broken - Talking Hoarse
Sorry to hear about the Clio cam belt.
I have an even older '95 1200 cc Clio that snapped its belt a few years back. I run this car on a shoestring, and luckily I'm reasonably handy with cars, but it was an awful job just because it was a Clio!! It was much much harder than on a Ford .... Access to the belt and the head etc is terrible (eg couldnt get the inlet manifold off until the head was off the car, which meant lots of fuel and injection stuff was molested). But I spent a lot of time on it and about £150 on valves, head set, water pump, oil, coolant etc etc. The car's done well since for 3½ yrs and went much better afterwards with valves ground in, compression restored etc.