Fuel Flap - splash
Just taken delivery of my new Mondeo but was disappointed to discover that the fuel flap does not have a locking mechanism. A simple push to open, and with no filler cap to remove its easy to fill up, but, with the right size tube inserted the tank is also open to any other abuse. In the quest for innovation I guess this minor item was overlooked. But I would be interested to know of a modification can be made or added to lock the flap?
Fuel Flap - rtj70
Oops. I would have thought fuel flap locked with the car central locking, especially as you say no fuel cap...

Cannot suggest anything except how often is fuel stolen? And with the new filler design it might be more difficult (but only slightly) to stop someone robbing you of fuel... they might just be baffled and move on.

Are you sure the new filler flap does not lock with the car??? Maybe you only tried it with the car unlocked? I hope Ford were not this stupid....
Fuel Flap - jc2
It is a legal requirement for cars to have either a lockable filler cap,lockable flap or one that is automatically locked.Have you ever tried to siphon fuel out of a modern car??Try it!! and the best of luck!!Better way is to split the fuel injection system and use the vehicle's pump.
Fuel Flap - cheddar
Surely it is locked with the central locking, or is supposed to be, perhaps it is a fault rather than an ommision.
Fuel Flap - L'escargot
New cars have had anti-siphon devices for yonks.
--
L\'escargot.
Fuel Flap - L'escargot
According to the Ford online brochure tinyurl.com/28qnlh the Mondeo has "Ford Easy Fuel ~ Capless re-fuelling with mis-fuel inhibitor". It doesn't say what this comprises.
--
L\'escargot.
Fuel Flap - rtj70
"mis-fuel inhibitor" is the bit where the nozzle itself is pushed in to open the flap. Wrong size nozzle will not do this.

Because you need to push the diesel/petrol nozzle into the filler to open the flap presumably you could get the flap open with other tools. But whether you can siphon out any fuel is another matter.
Fuel Flap - normd2
there'll be an anti-siphon device lower down the filler pipe. I bought a hand siphon (<£10) to get the 15 gallons or so out my last car when it gave up and couldn't do it via the filler. I had to cut into the rubber pipe near the tank to get the tube in.
Fuel Flap - Brian Tryzers
I expect the flap does lock with the central locking, but maybe not straight away. According to the handbook, my Volvo waits 25 seconds after applying the door locks to activate the deadlocks, then another ten minutes before it locks the fuel flap. Why it should do this - and I've never bothered to verify that it actually does - have no idea.
Fuel Flap - mjm
Possibly to allow you to lock the car when filling with fuel.
Fuel Flap - DP
The Scenic has no "cap" as such, just a rubber seal moulded into the flap which fits over the filler neck when the flap is closed.

The flap itself locks with the central locking (and when the ignition is on)

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Fuel Flap - gmac
According to the handbook my Volvo waits 25 seconds after applying the door locks to
activate the deadlocks then another ten minutes before it locks the fuel flap. Why it
should do this - and I've never bothered to verify that it actually does -
have no idea.

It does this so you can get out of the car and lock it, then procede to fill the tank and still close the flap after putting 70 litres in without snapping the plastic locking pin. Not something everyone needs but still handy if you find yourself in some dodgy area after dark needing fuel.
Fuel Flap - Dan J
The filler cover locks after a period of time once the central locking has been activated. It's done simply to stop people breaking the plastic cover and probably also to allow filling up after the car has been locked.

Unless the software has been changed recently the current Focus will lock the fuel filler cap on locking the car and it is very easily broken. The situation (for anyone who has one) where this occurs is when you lock the car - can't open the filler cap - and then unlock it. You open the filler cap but the central locking automatically locks the car again as you didn't open a door. You finish filling up, try to close the filler flap and voila - one broken fuel flap.
Fuel Flap - Imagos
I know a reputable company that regulary uses this device..

www.pumptronics.co.uk/DebowserRange.htm

to syphon or in techno speak 'debowse' their cars when taken out of service and as far as i'm aware no problems any anti-syphon thingy in the tank.
Fuel Flap - splash
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can confirm that there is no mechanism that operates with central locking, or any other locking that I can find I have tried at various times when the car is locked, just to make sure that I am not overlooking the obvious and it can be opened at any time car with vehicle locked or unlocked. I have contacted Ford but not yet got any response, will keep you posted.
Fuel Flap - rtj70
I would think the fuel flap on my MkIII Mondeo would be easily broken/overcome and then no lockable fuel cap.

Would I think someone could easily take fuel? No. They would, as someone earlier said, cut the fuel pipe to get any fuel.

Loackable fuel flaps are not physically that strong so you're worrying too much. Surprised it's not lockable but I'd not worry personally.
Fuel Flap - Dan J
Right... On closer inspection of ours I can confirm the following:

1. The fuel filler flap does not lock
2. The filler mechanism does - if you leave the car a few minutes after fully locking it, open the flap and try and push the filler opening cover you'll find it is well and truly locked

A strange arrangement, I'll give you that - but at least it confirms all is well with your car.
Fuel Flap - jc2
The "Debowser " device is much more likely to be used an lorries with large amounts of fuel than on cars with a couple of gallons.Also most lorries have direct access to their tanks-most modern cars have the tank under the back seat and a convoluted pipe to it.