Cambelts on the 1990 2388cc TD engine. - bacon&eggs
Evening all. Have recently bought a 1990 H Volvo 940 TD with 190K OTC. Its the 2388CC straight 6 engine (I believe its a VAG unit) And I want to change the 2 cambelts on it. A couple of questions:-

* Are there any holes in the block (like the PSA XUD) to lock the crank solid? And if so where can it/they be found?
*Ive bought the new belts & a waterpump to fit. Should I replace anything else in that area?
*Any idea on how you get the injection pump belt off in one piece?
*Any other info, hints tips or pointers that you can give me would be much appreciated.

I have done a search and cant find any info on it. So hope one of you guys and gals have done one before and can give me some info on it.

Many thanks in advance.
s
Cambelts on the 940 2388cc TD - bell boy
was basically the same engine as fitted in the vw lt van if i remember correctly
they have an Achilles (heel ?) in that they can crack heads so always watch the temp gauge. Its not straight forward doing the belt as you need a locking plate for the cam and a pin as you say for the pump
try your local library they might do a workshop manual,the book says you MUST also change the idler wheel (common sense really we know and make sure you use a new gasket on the water pump,it looks like it might be a rubber o ring type?)
if nobody can help then i can probably copy the details at work for you if you give the mods your address so they can forward it to me

im sure i saw one of these volvos the other month with a 5 cylinder lump in it
Cambelts on the 940 2388cc TD - Peter D
A 940 has 4 pots a 960 has 6 pots. ????????? Regards Peter
Cambelts on the 940 2388cc TD - bell boy
A 940 has 4 pots a 960 has 6 pots. ????????? Regards Peter

>>>>>>> really
would that be for all 940 volvo variants then? ;-0
Cambelts on the 940 2388cc TD - gordonbennet
Hi it is the engine from the vw lt van and can be quite a flyer if you richen the pump very slightly (2 min job).

Anyway had one of these meself until recently (my sis still has it.... a luddite like me)

Didn't need to change cambelt meself but one of our truck mechanics used to work on the lt vans and be warned he told me the camshaft sprocket doesn't have a woodruf key so do not disturb the belt for heavens sake until you either have the locking set or do it the old fashioned way and paint mark everything before undoing (maybe good idea to mark it up anyway).

Take a tip whilst you are doing the job loosen the fuel pump and replace number 5 glow plug cos its impossible with the pump in situ.

Hang on to this car its probably the last non computerised car on the road.

Good luck with the job

ttfn
Yes Bell Boy.
The name remained until spring 1997, denoting 940 four-cylinder and 960 six-cylinder series cars. The 940 changed little in this period but the 960 became a far more modern executive saloon and estate, thanks to the addition of new engines and an extensive facelift in 1994. In fact, the origin of these cars went all the way back to March 1982, when the original 760 GLE was launched.
Regards Peter
www.volvoclub.org.uk/history/940_stats_search.php
All 4 cylinder 940. Originally the last letter detailed the number of door 2, 4 or 5 for the estate, almost as obviuos as the 4 or the 6 cylinders. Regards Peter
Just looked up the and the was a 6 cylinder diesel listed for the 740 for some markets. Clearly some made it here under the the 940 label. Regards Peter
Cambelts on the 940 2388cc TD - honeybear
Do keep an eye on the coolant and tempreture on these,if you get the slightest inkling it may be running too hot investigate it immediately as they do crack heads, at this mileage I would even change the radiator if you suspect it is the original and check all the coolant pipes in fact if it has anything to do with the cooling system check it, twice ! every other day !. We spent in the region of £3000 trying to fix ours including a re-con engine which lasted about 6000 miles before we scrapped the whole car.