1991 - rear brake drum back plate problem - oldpassat
I have a 1991 VW Passat which just failed its ITV (MOT here in Spain) because of low reading for rear left brake and handbrake. The brake drum seems fine although a bit pitted (meaning maybe it hasn't been functioning properly for a while). The brake shoes are only slightly worn. I haven't found any dust, debris or other contaminants. The only sign of possible problem is with the round brass inserts that the shoes rest on which are found on the back plate. The ones towards the top appear to have been slotted by wear from the brake shoes. Could this be my problem?

Does anybody out there have any ideas or suggestions. I'm looking for a solution that I can do myself without blowing the bank on new parts. I also need help as soon as possible.

Cheers
s
rear brake drum back plate problem - bell boy
hold both shoes with large screwdrivers while assistant carefully puts foot on footbrake (one side at a time with other drum still on) this will tell you if the wheel cylinder is seized,then do the same with the handbrake
you will likeliest find something seized up
rear brake drum back plate problem - Peter D
These are twin piration slaves and you should be able to move the shoes across sie to side to both pistons are moving. Clean the auto adjusters and blow out any dust, mask required. Regards Peter