Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - dodo
Have read several good reviews of the latest BMW118d and for the first time I am considering a One series to replace my C-Max at the end of the year. I know interior space isn't great (I travel mostly alone) and styling is awkward but has anyone got this car? What is the real life experience of this car by owners? Can I expect 50 mpg? Thanks
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - MichaelR
Get a 318d instead, it looks half respectable, doesn't look like a shoe and won't make everyone around you think you bought a badge becuase you were desperate to own a BMW.

Well, not as much anyway.
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - Gromit {P}
I'm curious, Michael, as to what image you think a student driving a last-model 5 series projects? ;-)

Joking aside, the back seat and boot of the 1 series are small, but is that a problem when you travel alone? There's now a three-door variant too, which might suit either because you prefer the styling or because it should give a bit more legroom for the front seats.

I'd be surprised if you really got 50mpg from the 1.8D - the only diesel I know of that is regularly reported to give 50+ in real driving conditions is the VAG 1.9TDI, based on the reports of friends driving Octavias, Golfs and Passats.
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - ForumNeedsModerating
Probably a cracking liitle mota, if you put a bag over its head before you drive. I belive BMW are offering reduced rate chiropracter body servicing package with the 1-series to complement the standard car service one. How anyone would consider these revoltingly ugly torture implements is, frankly, beyond me - about as daft as the new MINI clubman & Fiat 500.

But, hey, it's a world of appearance I suppose.

Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - Aprilia
Been stuck with a 1-series several times in Germany (they haven't sold too well and so BMW offloaded a lot to car rental companies). The car is rather a dud IMHO. Not just cramped, but uncomfortable and with very poor visibility. I would think very carefully before buying one. If you do, be aware that BMW have been pre-reg'ing them and trying to shift them via brokers and supermarkets. I can't see used values holding up that well in the longer term.
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - madf
I thought the 1 Series styling made prior attempt by Bangle to make an ugly car look amateurish.
madf
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - Pezzer
Dodo, suggest you try here - you might actually get a sensible answer.

www.babybmw.net/forum/portal.php

PS I've got a 120d. I love it but, I've got my doubts about 50 mpg as the car is so good to drive.
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - midlifecrisis
Autocar managed a combined figure of 38.6mpg in their report this week.
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - rogue-trooper
my mother has a 120d. she has mixed feelings about it. likes the way it goes but the thing that ruins it for her is rear visibility. I have to agree with her that it is fairly dreadful and I think that owning one would send me mad.
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - DP
I had a passenger ride in a 120d, and it seems like a nice enough car, but I can see why it hasn't sold. Why spend over £21,000 (in SE trim) on what is, at the end of the day, a small hatchback when you can buy something just as capable from a "lesser" badge for £15k, or a nearly new 3 series for much the same money. A fully loaded 2,000 mile 320dSE on an 07 plate from a BMW dealer with full manufacturer backup is "only" £22k with a bit of haggling, with more space, more cachet (if that floats your boat) and far less contentious styling.

I suspect this is why it hasn't sold rather than any problem with the car itself.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - WipeOut
I never really liked the 1-Series, but became interested when I read reviews about the 3-door 118d. This year I rejected a new Cooper S, and bought a three year old Golf Mk V gt tdi dsg 2.0, in the interim until I got a replacement new car.

I've ordered a 118d SE 3 door in white which should arrive next month.

The 118d makes a lot of sense if you drive in to London, with the proposed changes to the Congestion Charge. Much more drive orientated than the Golf. The engine is far more refined, it doesn't feel as fast, but this is because power deliver is smoother. The Golf surges and spins wheels, and can be caught out if the turbo isn't spinning. I usually like cars with sport suspension, but when I drove a sport I find the ride to hard. The SE (which I ordered is better in my opinion, 16" wheels and standard suspension). Technology and specification, is much better than the Golf. You can also get very good discounts, I got nearly £4k off using a broker. I got 48mpg on a test drive. I didn't want a saloon 3-series as I frequently need the practicality of the hatchback.

Some of the options are very well priced. I've put on leather, heated seats, electric lumbar, upgraded the stereo, visibility pack, luxury pack and got change from 20k. BMW also have an inclusive service pack for under £200.

I think the 118d in 3 door, price and spec wise makes a lot more sense. It also looks better than the 5 door. Bangles designs, although I first hated them, are starting to grow on me, but I'm still not entirely convinced.

WipeOut
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - 659FBE
I run a non car related business from home. Customers arrive and hopefully depart except when their batteries go flat (left something on) or they lock themselves out or run out of fuel. All of these mishaps I can usually deal with one way or another, and the vehicle and its passengers depart.

The BMW 1 series is the only vehicle which has had to leave my premises on a low loader. The cause - a flat tyre which was partly shredded. There is no spare.

The ratio of servicability and usefulness to cost is questionable for this model

Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - dodo
Ok. Point taken. Another Focus this time an estate. Will wait for the facelift. Thanks!
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - Pendlebury
>>I'd be surprised if you really got 50mpg from the 1.8D - <<

It is actually a 2.0D remember badged as a 1.8
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - krs one
I loathed the look of the One series for a couple of years but now think it looks great. Just because it's different to everything else on the road does not mean it's ugly. Looks great in 3 door form too!
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - boxsterboy
The BMW 1 series is the only vehicle which has had to leave my premises
on a low loader. The cause - a flat tyre which was partly shredded. There
is no spare.

One of our managers at work has a Civic 2.2 CDTI. In 1 year he has had 2 punctures, and both times the 'can of gunk' and compressor has failed to be adequate, meaning a call-out from the RAC, recovery to a tyre place, and all the attendant delays in getting a new tyre fitted.

When on earth will manufacturers realise that there is no substitution for a spare wheel!?!? I would never buy a car without one.
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - tyro
When on earth will manufacturers realise that there is no substitution for a spare wheel!?!?

Interesting question. The answer might be "when customers demand spare wheels".

Or then again, it might be "when car mags and motoring journalists routinely mark cars down for not having one".

At the moment, I get the impression that the car mags will slag off a car for not having alloys as standard, but be fairly unconcerned about the absence of a spare wheel. Some reviewers clearly live on a different planet from me.
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - Leif
And I thought it was just me who found them ugly. It looks like a souped up Rover 200 to me.
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - niva441
I bought a 120d a couple of years ago - most expensive mistake I've ever made.

To summarise how bad it was I dumped it after owning it for 5 months, but only used it for 3 of those months. Because of the problems I had with it I used a 20 year old TVR (with a lame heater) in preference to it in the middle of winter.

Dealer and importer weren't interested in resolving the serious safety problems I experienced with it.

Hope they enjoyed the money they made out of me, as they won't see anymore of mine.
Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - oldtoffee
dodo - don't forget to form your own opinion based on direct experience with a decent test drive, who knows you may love it despite the brutal caning it's got here! Not for me personally but having been in a 120d IMO they go very well and are economical. I think the latest set of engine revisions to the 4 cylinder diesels make it quite a bit more economical and eco friendly.

Latest 118d - Too good to be true? - niva441
The economy was (yet) another disappointing aspect of my experience with it. Although most of my use was reasonably steady state on dual carriageways (keeping to sensible speeds), it frequently struggled to better 40 mpg, even when I was trying to drive it economically sometimes dropping to 35 mpg. It was an automatic, but at open road speed this should not have been an issue.

When forgetting about it alleged efficiency, it was very quick, assuming the engine and gearbox were co-operating and not deciding to freeze up at inopportune moments.

Oddly enough the dealer demonstrators exhibited none of these nasties, apart from the standard substandard ride that, in addition to the expected roughness induced by the run flats also used to bounce down the road as if undamped on some surfaces.
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - oldgit
How anyone would consider these revoltingly ugly torture
implements is frankly beyond me - about as daft as the new MINI clubman &
Fiat 500.

Totally agree with you on that. I drove, as a test drive, one as soon as it became available at my local BMW dealership in 2004 (I think it was). I was then looking for a replacement hatchback to replace my old and troublesome Rover 414.

The test drive on a 1.6 was so underwhelming, not because of the engine power I hsten to add, but because of the design and interior space was flawed in so many ways and yet I yearned to own my first BMW but clearly, this wasn't going to be it.

Well, three years later I'm driving the car I opted for instead and am glad of my choice and that is a MK V Golf - a splendid, comfortable, roomy and well built car.
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - svm
I have a 120d which we bought when it was a year old. It has an extra £5k optional extras that the original owner paid for which was not reflected in the price we paid. So we got the car much cheaper.

I like the car very much and it drives wonderfully with excellent handling and with strong torque. It ranks as the one of the best car I have driven.

However, there are a lot of 'negatives' to the car that some people may not tolerate. I knew they were there and I can tolerate them. The rear seats are small but I don't sit there. As for a small boot, that depends on your requirements but is better than other cars in its class as the lack of spare tyre provides extra depth. Rear view is not brilliant but I can see out of it so not a problem. And the pillars on the right hand side does obstruct my vision at roundabouts but the solution is to move your head into a better postion to see. Quite simple really.

I did test drive an 06 Focus too. I could compare it to the drive of the BMW 1 series and not fault it one iota. The only thing that put me off was the trim and central console. If this is improved in the new facelift, I will still consider a Focus next time round as I do think they are great cars and of course, better VFM compared to BMWs.

Good luck!
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - Johny B
Yep, I now own one of these and it is great after 2 weeks of ownership.

I have the facelifted 2008 model with all the efficieny dynamics. I.e £35 tax and potential no congestion charge.

It is not the biggest car, but given that I am 6ft 4 there is still plenty of room for me and very easy to get comfortable. I to don't carry passengers often and not marketed as a family car.

Drive and grip is fantastic, as you would expect from a BMW. Diesel engine is excellent, very refined. Even torue power band etc.

I get around 50MPG at present but obviously still running in so I would expect this to rise further. This is a mix of all types of driving.

Build quality is excellent and I understand this has been improved post face lift.

Styling is a personal opinion, and I disgree with many commnets above, funny that.

Recommend that you check out the HJ review of the car and also owner websites.

Cheers

Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - miker99
I bought an X-type Jag 2.0D SE with satnav at 15 months old with 20k on the clock for £15.8k. In the 2 years and 50k miles since, it has averaged 53mpg on mostly motorway/fast A roads/country lanes. Slightly different image from the 1 series or Golf but who cares?
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - a900ss
I had a 320d touring for 119k miles. Mostly motorway driving at the speed limit, very few urban miles. It would do 50MPG no problem, sometimes nearly 55MPG.

That was a 2004 model without the latest energy saving devices that the current 1 series has.

Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - james86
All this talk of 50mpg from a 2.0d engine is always frustrating for me to hear. I have a Focus 2.0tdci (most recent engine - the Euro IV one) and it, on average, is barely over 40mpg. Yesterday on a long motorway trip at about 85mph it got 42. I've never seen figures approaching 50, and it's done 25k miles now so run in.

I did have a loan 320d not too long ago and got high 40s/almost 50 out of it so would suggest that the 118d will get far more than this. The 320d I drove also did not have the energy saving things that the 1 and 3 have now.
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - smokescreen
I have no issues getting 50mpg+ from a 2.0HDI 110. Might need an italian tuneup?
Latest BMW 118d - Too good to be true? - a900ss
85MPH is the killer of economy. I did state that I travel at the legal limit.

I currently have a 2007 S-Max 1.8 diesel. It's done 22k in 7 months and over that period it has averaged 43.7MPG. That's an overall avarage over all 22k miles and in a car considerably bigger than a Focus.

Please note I also work these fuel consumptions out manually rather than use the fuel computer lies (it regualrly claims 55 - 60MPG out of a tank in the S-Max!!!)

I think you'd be surprised how much fuel you would save travelling at 70MPH rather than 85MPG. I think you'd be even more surprised at how little longer your journey will take as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by a900ss on 16/10/2007 at 16:54