New HJ site - Volume 1 - jc2

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope his new site will be more reliable than the current one
New HJ site - L'escargot
What unreliability have you experienced? In over 5 years I've had no problems worth talking about ~ and I'll freely admit to being one of the computer duffers of this forum.
--
L\'escargot.
New HJ site - Citroënian {P}
Is this an attempt to ressurect the "spam" thread?

delete both of them if you ask me....
-------------------------
07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
New HJ site - Lud
Me too escargot, although with me it isn't so long.

And although my email browser (if that's what it is called) flagged HJ's email as spam, I didn't see it as such because I recognised the site name. What on earth was all that wittering on the other thread?
New HJ site - jc2
Approximately 1/3 of the times I try to go in,it won't open but other sites on the web will so it's not my machine.
New HJ site - Leif
Off with his head. (How does one alert a moderator to perform said function?)

The site has always been reliable for me.
New HJ site - Stuartli
I hope his new site will be more reliable than the current one>>

As far as I am concerned it would be impossible for it to be more reliable than the current one.

Seems to me like a case of ---- stirring...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
New HJ site - cattleman6

This is the best car site on the internet. I have always found it amazingly reliable and I really appreciate all the work all the various people do to keep it going.
New HJ site - Clanger
Are we talking something techie here or referring to the reliability of the posters?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
New HJ site - jc2
Must be a clash of ISP's then.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - NowWheels

I see no unreliability ... but there is one fix which I would like to see.

If I spend too long typing my post, then when I click the "post this message" button, the site then asks me to log in again. That's no problem, except that when I do it has lost what I was typing.

It would be a really small programming issue ensure that the data is saved, and it would avoid a lot of frustration. (And yes, I have programmed web forms, and I do know what's involved).

I know that there are workarounds, and I usually try to copy all I have typed before pressing "post" ... but the times I forget always seem to be on the longest posts, and often using the back button doesn't help. I know that this happens to many others too, and it could be easily avoided.

I'm sure that the new design will be great, but this little bit of improved functionality would be even better.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - deepwith
>>>> If I spend too long typing my post then when I click the "post this
message" button the site then asks me to log in again.

This is covered very clearly in "Welcome to the Backroom" - and advises you NOT to use your back button! ;~)

I have no problems with this site - it is the quickest of all my bookmarks to load, esp. when other sites have slowed down.
SNIPQUOTE
I have no problems with this site - it is the quickest of all my
bookmarks to load esp. when other sites have slowed down.

As I said, I know that there are workarounds, but not all of them work all the time in all browsers. My point was they shouldn't be needed and can be very easily programmed out.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - jbif
">> This is covered very clearly in "Welcome to the Backroom" -"
"As I said, I know that there are workarounds "

Quote from "Welcome to the Backroom"
Replying to posts and quoting posts
Sometimes it is helpful to give an indication of who you are replying to. However, this doesn?t mean you need to copy and paste the entire post into yours. Simply write "in response to xxxx's post" or take a couple of seconds to snip and summarise the post in which you're replying to; leaving only the relevant text.
Long replies
Occasionally if you take a long time to type a posting, the system may log you out and you may lose the post when you hit post reply. Having taken ages to type your work of art, you are now worried that you may lose it since the system may have logged you out.
1) Click post (if it simply posts, no worries)
2) It goes to the login screen. Do NOT login
3) Click view/go to/back in the menu or ALT-Left Arrow to return to your note. The text should still be displayed.
4)

SNIPQUOTE Again - Sigh!
Quote from "Welcome to the Backroom"
Replying to posts and quoting posts < >

Did you read what I wrote?

As I said, I know that there are workarounds, but not all of them work all the time in all browsers. My point was they shouldn't be needed and can be very easily programmed out.

You posted the workaround. Other web forums don't need workarounds to avoid loss of data, and a very small amount of programming would make it unnecessary on this forum. That's all.
Let me ask you "Did you read what I wrote?". If so, have you noticed that in a number of your recent replies there is a magic word "snipquote" and sometimes "SNIPQUOTE!" and "SNIPQUOTE! once more for the lazy person who can't be bothered to do so for themselves!"

"SNIPQUOTE! once more for the lazy person who can't be bothered to
do so for themselves!"

Indeed, I did read that, but isn't what I thought you were referring to, because the excerpt you posted went on to address the issue we were discussing. I see now that you meant something else, which is fine.

I have not been quoting more than a few lines, which I thought appropriate to give context. You seem to have decided that quoting more than two lines is excessive, and if that's the new rule, that's fine, I'll abide by that. It would have helped if I had known that you are a moderator -- you not in the list.

"It would have helped if I had known that you are a moderator -- you not in the list."

No I am not a moderator, nor do I wish to be one. Sorry if I gave you that impression.
It is just that I saw the reference to "Welcome to the Backroom" by deepwith, and read what it said about long posts. I noticed that therein was also a reference to quoting original messages when replying to posts. I also had noticed that in many of your recent postings, a moderator has added words "snipquote" plus other comments indicating his/her exasperation at what they refer to as "laziness" on your part. examples "SNIPQUOTE once again for lazy person" and "SNIPQUOTE! once more for the lazy person who STILL can't be bothered to do so for themself!".
So I was wondering whether perhaps the same "laziness" applied in wanting a method to avoid having to save your long notes before findig that you had been timed out, or whether you had in fact not read the relevant section in the "Welcome to the Backroom" where both these issues had been dealt with. Perhaps the new HJ site should remove the "Quote Original Message" button.

So I was wondering whether perhaps the same "laziness" applied in wanting a method to
avoid having to save your long notes before findig that you had been timed out

If not wanting to have to use workarounds to the limitations of software is "laziness", then so be it.

I take the same view of gearboxes that require double-declutching. I can do it, but it's a nuisance., and I guess that makes me "lazy".
New HJ site - lost post fix? - Dynamic Dave
Right, can we stop with the moaning and move on please.

DD.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - bell boy
Ive never "lost" one of my drivel posts,had many removed but its what lifes all about innit ;-0
New HJ site - lost post fix? - Hamsafar
I've never had any problems I can think of, in addition to general browsing, I go on about seven favourite sites every day, far more than I should, and I have to say this is probably the most reliable and fast of those. It must be your computer's setup/software fellar.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - jc2
Which is what I said!!!!!
" Which is what I said!!!!! "

I think you blamed it on some mysterious or mythical "clash of ISP's".

New HJ site - lost post fix? - oilrag
I use this site with `images disabled` on Firefox. Ubuntu linux.

No images at all or pop ups or ads.

That might be against the spirit of the thing but it sometimes seems the pop ups and ads are over the top.

My point is, I hope the new site is less `flashy` with these things
New HJ site - lost post fix? - GregSwain
I run the site on Ubuntu Linux as well, but I use Opera 90% of the time. Again, never a problem with pop-ups, or with the site loading. It astounds me that anyone vaguely computer-literate hasn't got a pop-up blocker installed, or ideally a decent browser (non-IE) that takes care of them automatically.

The new site looks good from the screenshot in the email, I've added the sender's address to my "safe-list" to avoid Hotmail blocking it again.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - madf
XP with popups disabled.
No popups/no crashes / stable

and I don't quote back entire messages.

XP has built in pop up blocker but I use Norton Security as well...

I can't see this new HJ site.. looks same as before.
Wot amImissing?
madf
New HJ site - lost post fix? - malteser
If you use Firefox, Nowwheels, you can install a nifty little extension/add-on called "It'sall text". This adds a very small button to the bottom RH corner of the post entering box. This is fairly transparent in use, but will become opaque when you hover on it. If you click it, it will open notepad or your designated WP, with all the text you have painstakingly input there. You can then save or minimise the WP program (notepad, wordpad et al.) and thus not lose your thoughts!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
New HJ site - lost post fix? - nick
When you've typed your answer just highlight the text, control c to copy to the buffer and post. If it fails, open up the reply box again and paste it back. Easy, no need for any geeky fixes.
I've always found this site reliable and AOL stops all the pop-ups. I have no problems with AOL either, cheap, reliable and a good phone service too.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - malteser
I have never found problems with this site!
I visit often and indeed, was pleased to receive the email notifying me of the changes! Gmail spam filters passed it through to Thunderbird, too!
Great site!
Keep going!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
When you've typed your answer just highlight the text control c to copy to the
buffer and post. If it fails open up the reply box again and paste it
back. Easy no need for any geeky fixes.

Indeed, that's what I usually do. But it shouldn't be necessary, and on most web forums it's not necessary.
New HJ site - lost post fix? - Dynamic Dave
Indeed that's what I usually do. But it shouldn't be necessary and on most web
forums it's not necessary.

1. You're aware that it happens.
2. There has been info previously posted to help you from losing your composed post, and retrieve it if it does.
3. Nothings going to change, so move on and stop complaining about it.

DD.
New HJ site - oldgit

Be very, very careful as to what you say about this website! I have been, in no uncertain terms, admonished for such treason.
New HJ site - oilrag
I had a new thread completely deleted earlier on. Got to go with the Mods and the rules and `ethos` of the site though. Better that than mixing it with some of the `interesting people` on the usenet mech forums. At times though , I`m really tempted....

Anyway, hope the new site works and more power to the Mods ;=)

My email prog ripped everything out but the text and then deleted that, so assume its not up yet?

Regards
New HJ site - mike hannon
I dunno - I'm a computer duffer as well really, although I've used them for 25 years odd and my neighbours out here in France seem to come to me for help.
But I use AOL, which everyone slags off, with Topspeed because I can't manage broadband - if anyone wants to know why and have a darn good laugh, I'll email them the pic of a recent repair to our village phone line by France Telecom - and pop-up blocker and I never seem to have suffered any problems to speak of.
Only problem I've ever had is with HJ's hat and sunspecs really - but then, I guess he is a journalist...
New HJ site - Martin Devon
Had minor hiccoughs yonks ago poss' down to my machine. This place is one of the slickest on the net. NO NO NO.....don't tell 'im!

VVBR MD.
New HJ site - ForumNeedsModerating
A great plus for the current HJ site (..and I hope the next incarantion too..) is its non-reliance on 1st year computer graphic student 'project'
level interpretation of kewl. Keep anything marked Adobe, Flash or Java away & you'll have a generally quick loading, robust & browser agnostic environment.

As for those who have probelm posting due to lost 'magnum opus' - hey, if it happens once & you know the fix, the second time it's your fault!

The subscriber email from HJ indicates a greater cross reffing for site sections, i.e. the roadtest will indicate futher links to CbCB, forum posts etc. - excellent! Something, if I might immodestly say, I've mentioned or requested previously.

Evolution , not revolution always seems to work best!

cheers to all the 'real' backroom boys (..and girls!)
woodbines

New HJ site - GroovyMucker
Let's hope it's not full of the same mangled inglish that appears in the advert.
New HJ site - Pugugly {P}
GM,

You can rest assured that the "language" police are on patrol again !
New HJ site - whoopwhoop
I've had loads of problems in Internet Explorer (on multiple machines, so not a local glitch). I've had none in Firefox.

That said, the old site is pretty pants by modern standards. For example, pictures in the road tests look like they are clickable thumbnails.... only they're not - they're meant to be tiny! Hopefully the new site wil fix that!

Oh, and also maybe ditch some of the gazillion adverts :-)
New HJ site - Round The Bend
Oh! Changes are not as radical as I expected.
New home. I struggled with the front door but here we are. There's a bit of an echo in here and a smell of fresh paint ......... but I'm sure we will soon get used to it.
New HJ site - mal
There must be more to it than this, there are some empty spaces, must be ongoing.
New HJ site - bell boy
There's a bit
of an echo in here and a smell of fresh paint .........

only thing is ive been made to sit in the cheap seats at the back behind the post :-(

site looks so much more professional though 100/100 so far.............
New HJ site - L'escargot
The colours are a bit pale and insipid but otherwise it's OK.
--
L\'escargot.
New HJ site - tyro
I preferred the old colour scheme myself. It looked classier, somehow.
New HJ site - GregSwain
I preferred the old colour scheme myself...

I prefer this colour scheme, the only complaint being that new posts are still shown in a sort of vomit-beige colour, which doesn't fit in with the new sleek icy blue.
New HJ site - Stephen
>> I preferred the old colour scheme myself...
I prefer this colour scheme the only complaint being that new posts are still shown
in a sort of vomit-beige colour which doesn't fit in with the new sleek icy
blue.

yes, your browser is probably caching the old stye sheet. It should refresh now.

We will be continuing with the tweaks over the next few days.
----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
New HJ site - GregSwain
yes, your browser is probably caching the old stye sheet. It should refresh now.

Ahhh, much better!
New HJ site - normd2
New HJ site - L'escargot

On my PC the old ones are pale blue, the new ones are medium blue.
--
L\'escargot.
New HJ site - smokescreen
Professional? I'm losing a good chunk of viewing area on my widescreens! Anyone got the old CSS file to hand?
New HJ site - FotheringtonThomas
There's a bit
>> of an echo in here

It's very "bouncy", isn't it. Reading threads in threaded mode it is, anywar! Pass 'round the "Joy Rides"!!
New HJ site - normd2
other than the colour which is horribly like MS default blue I can't see much of a difference. I hate to say it but the photo doesn't really do HJ justice - sorry.
Re photo ....... any one remember Fred Dinenage?
New HJ site - bell boy
who?
how............ de de de
New HJ site - ForumNeedsModerating
The new site functionality (linking road tests, CbCB, relevant BR posts, deals etc) is really good : everything on one page. A question though: when you search road tests & the corollary info appears, do BR posting links work in the same way as say, 'standard' forum search on a 'car name'?
New HJ site - Nsar
Hmm, trendy yoof t-shirt, perhaps some highlights in the hair, cheerful disposition...it all adds up. If I was Mrs HJ I'd be checking his mobile phone bill and going through his pockets for evidence.
New HJ site - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think it is John Major, unusually with a smile on his face, and the hat has been Photoshopped - nobody would actually buy and wear a thing like that! I like the first impression of the new site though!
New HJ site - normd2
I agree, the hat is the most suspect thing about the new site. If the hat has to stay it needs to be with a camel coat in full Arfur Daley style.
New HJ site - Big Bird
Best thing on the new site for me is that I can now click on new and it takes me straight to the newest post in the thread.
And yes I know it worked for others before but never for me...

Dan
New HJ site - L'escargot
Best thing on the new site for me is that I can now click on
new and it takes me straight to the newest post

Well, you learn something new every day!
--
L\'escargot.
New HJ site - Dynamic Dave
Best thing on the new site for me is that I can now click on
new and it takes me straight to the newest post in the thread.
And yes I know it worked for others before but never for me...

It was always previously tempremental for me. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. Does it everytime now though.

Can't say I like the light / dark blue for read / unread posts. I preferred it as it was earlier this morning, and last week when I had a sneak preview.
New HJ site - mal
>>>Best thing on the new site for me is that I can now click on new and it takes me straight to the newest post in the thread.
And yes I know it worked for others before but never for me...<<<

That doesn't work and never has worked for me :-( probably Firefox to blame?.
New HJ site - Lud
That doesn't work and never has worked for me :-( probably Firefox to blame?.

I have Firefox and it works all right for me.
New HJ site - mal
>>That doesn't work and never has worked for me :-( probably Firefox to blame?

Correction, just realised I always clicked on the thread title not the new in red that is alongside it , and I have been on this site for years!!!
Yes you learn something new every day :-)
New HJ site - NowWheels
I agree the hat is the most suspect thing about the new site. If the
hat has to stay it needs to be with a camel coat in full Arfur Daley style.

The old full-colour picture of HJ was much more memorable than this B+W one, and the new colour-scheme seems a bit washed out: it lacks the clear visual identity of the old one.

But in general the new layout is much clearer, and the trick of having related items pop up on the right-hand side is very useful. Well done to the designers ... and if someone can persuade them to tweak the colors to something a bit stronger, it'll be great.

New HJ site - J Bonington Jagworth
"nobody would actually buy and wear a thing like that!"

He does, though. It's the shirt that's been Photoshopped...
tinyurl.com/33xsla
New HJ site - martint123
Did the old site wrap the subject line? I find it looks clumsy with just a single word wrapped - especially when it is just "new"
New HJ site - boxsterboy
Seems a bit slower - maybe loading the ads on the side is slowing it up a bit. Or my PC has got the Monday morning blues!
New HJ site - Stephen
To dispell any hearsay on speed, we benchmarked this site and found that without ads
- the home page takes around 70ms,
- Road tests 250ms,
- Best Deals 280ms.
There are a lot of lookups to make the context-sensitive panels to work. So to improve performance further we cache pages and these take around 5ms to deliver. (The forum isn't cached at the moment).
So any slowdown is usually pulling in the ads. We now use our own ad server for all of these, but they still are being ultimately delivered from other ad servers for some ads.
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
New HJ site - v0n
In this day and age, does the forum really have to be locked in resolution to 1980ies Amiga standards? Why can't the back room page resize dynamically? I seat here with a narrow strip of text on 1/3rd of my screen and the rest is filled with blank space.

Repeated logins and loosing text. Why do we need to repeatedly log in every 5 minutes ONLY when posting? You can browse the threads for months without being logged out, but try to post and you'll loose your text to the notorious timeout. So notorious it is featured in forum manual. Doesn't make sense. Just give us proper cookie. And I don't want to hear about workarounds. No forum should need external word processor as a minimum requirement. End of. Just stop the login timeouts. They have no other purpose than to serve as poor excuse for substandard software coding.

Edit button. 99.99% of forum software out there have edit buttons. It means edit buttons are useful. There is no reason to suspect that Backroomers finally got one they would start using it to add threats and swearwords to their posts. If we are moving out of dark ages, we might as well get all the small necessities modern times provided other forum users with...
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
New HJ site - boxsterboy
What you mean there is still the incredibly annoying time-out when posting, and still no edit button??
New HJ site - Stephen
1) >>In this day and age, does the forum really have to be locked in resolution to 1980ies Amiga standards? Why can't the back room page resize dynamically?

Well that would mean that the following sites are also old-fashioned:
- BBC News, The Tmes, Telegraph, Daily Mail, New York Times
- Apple, Microsoft, Dell...
.. I could go on.
Basically you can't plan for data in columns, ads and panels etc. without fixing the width.
Also it would be bad design to have very long line lengths to read - that's in basic typography, sorry.
On my Mac here the site sits in its own window within a 1920x1200 screen. So if I maximised the HJ window to fill the screen (like is typical in Windows) it would have a load of whitespace around it. But then don't maximize your screen. Then you can see the rest of your documents at the same time.

2) Repeated logins.
It should only time out the site session after 20mins of inactivity. So if you take more than 20mins to compose a post it will ask you to log in again. We will add an auto login on post as it isn't hard to do, but it isn't a priority at the moment as the site is much bigger than just this forum - even if this section is a popular place to be.

3) Edit button. Again, we can add this so that you can edit up to first reply, but again not a priority I'm afraid.

Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
New HJ site - v0n
Well that would mean that the following sites are also old-fashioned:
- BBC News The Tmes Telegraph Daily Mail New York Times
- Apple Microsoft Dell...

News sites are still optimized for 800x600 because they are used A LOT on portable devices , media terminals, phoneboxes etc. plus ease of access for impaired users. Sites such as MS, Apple or Dell are 800x600 so they can be used even in "safe mode" and default browsers in old OS's. I would risk a wild guess that car enthusiast forum, on the other hand probably doesn't have that many sight impaired users or posters typing from old Reuters terminals on Windows 3.11 to justify such a load white space in a modern browser. :)
Basically you can't plan for data in columns ads and panels etc. without fixing the
width.

Yes you can. See any vBulletin or PhpBB forum page, how most setups stretch dynamically to any resolution on the fly.
On my Mac here the site sits in its own window within a 1920x1200 screen.
So if I maximised the HJ window to fill the screen (like is typical in
Windows) it would have a load of whitespace around it. But then don't maximize your
screen. Then you can see the rest of your documents at the same time.

Funny you should say that - I actually thought this site looked like a typical Mac design, where lack of proper taskbar usually means users acquire habit of never maximizing any windows (myself included, I do that on my macs too). Mac is only 5% of market though, even less so in UK. The remaining 95% these days mostly use tabbed browsers which are open full screen, because other sites in remaining tabs are coded to resize with it...
2) Repeated logins.
It should only time out the site session after 20mins of inactivity. So if you
take more than 20mins to compose a post it will ask you to log in
again.

Which is why it is so discouraging, because it's usually the big posts that get wiped by the "identity amnesia" feature.
We will add an auto login on post as it isn't hard to do
but it isn't a priority at the moment as the site is much bigger than
just this forum - even if this section is a popular place to be

Auto login would definitely be useful. Why is this timeout even there though? Login never times out when you browse text, so why make it timeout when posting?
3) Edit button. Again we can add this so that you can edit up to
first reply but again not a priority I'm afraid.

We know it's not a prority - people asked for edit button to fix spelling mistakes and missing words ever since I can remember.
--------------------
New HJ site - Stephen
News sites are still optimized for 800x600 because they are used A LOT on portable
devices media terminals phoneboxes etc. plus ease of access for impaired users. Sites such as MS Apple or Dell are 800x600 so they can be used even in "safe mode"
and default browsers in old OS's. I would risk a wild guess that car enthusiast
forum on the other hand probably doesn't have that many sight impaired users or posters

Yes, that would be the case if it were true, but those three you mention - MS, Apple, Dell are NOT 800x600! They are all around the 900-1000px mark like this new HJ site.

.. and excepting the BBC news site which is 800px wide the other news sites I mentioned are also around 900-1000px wide. I see your point, but I'm sorry, but the facts don't support you here.
Yes you can. See any vBulletin or PhpBB forum page how most setups stretch dynamically
to any resolution on the fly.

It's not a question of whether it can be done, but whether it should be done. Ever seen MPU ads on a phpBB or vBullitin page?
Funny you should say that - I actually thought this site looked like a typical
Mac design where lack of proper taskbar usually means users acquire habit of never maximizing
any windows (myself included I do that on my macs too). Mac is only 5%
of market though even less so in UK. The remaining 95% these days mostly use
tabbed browsers which are open full screen because other sites in remaining tabs are coded to resize with it...

I use a tabbed browser on Mac and PC and don't know how this relates to opening full screen.
Auto login would definitely be useful. Why is this timeout even there though? Login never times out when you browse text so why make it timeout when posting?

It times out in the same way when browsing. It just always times out around 20mins after the last page you get on the site. You would want it to timeout in case you are logged in and then go away without remembering to log out.
So one way to get around the system timing you out on post is to open a new page to the HJ site in another tabbed window, before posting your message. If it asks you to log in then you have been logged out by the system. Then just log in in the new tab window and you can then post your message without having to worry about whether you are logged in on that window.
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
New HJ site - v0n
Yes that would be the case if it were true but those three you mention
- MS Apple Dell are NOT 800x600! They are all around the 900-1000px mark like
this new HJ site.

I'm not sure how to understand it - so you follow no particular resolution standard at all in your design, because what - Dell does it?
.. and excepting the BBC news site which is 800px wide the other news sites
I mentioned are also around 900-1000px wide. I see your point but I'm sorry but
the facts don't support you here.
It's not a question of whether it can be done but whether it should be
done. Ever seen MPU ads on a phpBB or vBullitin page?

I have a better example - your own site - www.khoosys.net - you have advert bar on left hand side, adverts on the right hand side - content in table in the middle magically resizes with window. Can be done. Or at least you guys could do it back in 2004, whoever example you were following back then. ;)

Message plus ads have predefined dimensions. As far as I can see, all the ads around backroom have predefined dimensions, not sure what problem would it create for ads if table with forum in the middle of them had no strict width and stretched to the browser window?
I use a tabbed browser on Mac and PC and don't know how this relates
to opening full screen.

You said yourself you view this forum "in its own window within a 1920x1200 screen" and told me "don't maximize your screen". I merely pointed out people outside mac work with clear window management and mostly will maximize their browser windows and it's not exactly your call to tell them not to. In most of us seat here with massive white margin on the left and half a page of empty space to the right, reading your squashed post in the middle on how this is how Microsoft does their page. Well, they don't - their forums resize - forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupI...1
:D
It times out in the same way when browsing. It just always times out around
20mins after the last page you get on the site. You would want it to
timeout in case you are logged in and then go away without remembering to log
out.

No we don't. That's what we've been telling you guys for years now. :)
So one way to get around the system timing you out on post is to
open a new page to the HJ site in another tabbed window before posting your
message.

Or.. or... you could just presume that when we specifically click the option of "Remember login on this computer" when we log in to The Back Room we actually mean please DO remember MY login on THIS computer". No?

--------------------
New HJ site - v0n
Oh, was rushing my reply because of timeout and bang - forgot to close [/b] tag - that's my vote for edit button. :)
--------------------

{Sorted for you - DD}
New HJ site - Stephen
I'm not sure how to understand it - so you follow no particular resolution standard
at all in your design because what - Dell does it?

Actually the site is designed by a separate company, but I happen to agree with most of what they do.
As for Dell, I was merely pointing out that many large commercial sites don't use full screen and don't use 800x either. It would have been polite if you could have checked before having a go at us. Either way, we don't go by them, but need the site to fit the majority of users on 1024x768 including scrollbars. There is some method in the madness. Do you really think we are that daft?
I have a better example - your own site - www.khoosys.net - you have advert
bar on left hand side adverts on the right hand side - content in table
in the middle magically resizes with window. Can be done. Or at least you guys
could do it back in 2004 whoever example you were following back then. ;)

Do you read my posts - or am I really wasting time here. As I said it isn't a matter of whether one CAN do something, it's a matter of whether one SHOULD do something. I still agree with designers who say there are optimum line lengths for font sizes. Sorry, the Microsoft forum is simply unreadable at 1920 pixels across as your eye loses which line it is on. Ever thought why newspapers have columns of text? We actually read down the page glancing at significant words.
Anyway I am not here to justify what designers have known for a long time, and really I can sidestep all this as we didn't do the design at the end of the day. I just happen to agree with them.
I merely pointed out people outside mac work
with clear window management and mostly will maximize their browser windows and it's not exactly your call to tell them not to.

They can do what they like, but don't imply that people within mac work don't have clear window management. I must have around 40 windows open at the moment on 6 virtual panes so I think I know what I am talking about.
You would want it to timeout in case you are logged in and then go away without remembering to log out.
No we don't. That's what we've been telling you guys for years now. :)

I trust you speak only for yourself!!! Sorry, we would be hauled over the coals if logins in general didn't automatically timeout.
>> So one way to get around the system timing you out on post is
to
>> open a new page to the HJ site in another tabbed window before posting
your
>> message.
Or.. or... you could just presume that when we specifically click the option of "Remember
login on this computer" when we log in to The Back Room we actually mean
please DO remember MY login on THIS computer". No?

Remember login means exactly that. So when you go back to log in your username and password are filled in. It does not mean keep me logged in.

Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
New HJ site - NowWheels
>> >> You would want it to timeout in case you are logged in and then
>> >> go away without remembering to log out.
>> No we don't. That's what we've been telling you guys for years now. :)
I trust you speak only for yourself!!! Sorry we would be hauled over the coals
if logins in general didn't automatically timeout.

Stephen, there is a happy medium between the current situation and a never-logout-automatically setup, and it's this:

when the post button is clicked by someone whose session has logged them out, take them to the login screen as now, but pass the POSTed form data to the login page ... and then, when the login is completed and the user is returned to the edit page, use that data to populate the form again. It's really a very simple programming task, and is implemented on most other sites which use login timeouts.
New HJ site - Stephen
Thanks, yes we could do that and as you say it isn't too hard. .. and yes, we WILL do it at some stage. However, the site upgrade - road tests, carbycar, news and soon directory are all really what this place is about - impartial (as you can get) advice on cars. It's our job to make it easier for users to get to that advice. So yes, the forum will get updated, but it's a bit down the list.

We have altered the code for the popups above though to URL redirecting instead of form posting to get rid of the POSTDATA expired kind of messages with Firefox and so on. It also means you can bookmark the filtered search page as the URL will display the actual results for you.
You will need javascript on though to make this all work, but then a whole load of stuff doesn't work without JS anyway.

We have already got the code for autologin from another project, so it isn't too hard to add.
(Parable of the persistent widow comes to mind here)

Any problems I am sure you will all let us know!

S
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
New HJ site - v0n
It would have been polite if you could have checked before having a go at us.

No one is having go at you Stephen. If anything, I hope you don't mind me saying, I'm a bit surprised how hard it is to communicate some things from where I stand. I, as a user, put forward my suggestions on how I, once again, purely from user point of view, think forum could be improved, since it's already being redesigned.
You, on the other hand, are going slightly Basil Faulty on me for.. what - not browsing it like designers intended, right? That way we can have new design every week and users, such as myself will be still be annoyed by the same things. Don't get me wrong though - I'm not having go at you or any other designer - please understand - I, and I think anyone else who's used to vB or phpBB features and standards, participate in Back Room despite it visibly lagging behind regular forum software for years now. In truth we couldn't care less of how minimalistic and stripped of basic features this forum front end is - we, Back Roomers are here because the content itself and knowledge shared by our fellow forumites is a great read. I understand, in terms of commercial element of entire site we are probably not a priority, but to be honest, majority of dynamic content happens here. So we might as well enjoy it?
but need the site to fit the majority of users on 1024x768 including scrollbars.

But you see, if it was resizing dynamically, 1024x768 would be as happy as 1280x1024 and beyond.
Do you really think we are that daft? (...)
Do you read my posts - or am I really wasting time here.

Wouldn't try to imply anything like that in million years.
Sorry the Microsoft forum is simply unreadable at 1920 pixels
across as your eye loses which line it is on.

I have to admit 1920 across is probably a bit overkill when it comes to web browsing - I would imagine most pages of text end to end look unreadable in a window that big. MSDN forums, however, look just fine in all common resolutions though. Their designers were not daft either... ;)
Ever thought why newspapers have
columns of text?

I always thought it was to do with old typesetting techniques and then was re-adopted by newspapers so you can fold the otherwise large sheet multiple times and still have the story in front of you. But I'll take a byte - why?
They can do what they like but don't imply that people within mac work don't
have clear window management.
I must have around 40 windows open at the moment on
6 virtual panes so I think I know what I am talking about.

But you feel it's ok for you to tell me how to keep my single window with 43 other tabs open in such a way so one forum among them doesn't look weird?
It's one of the core Mac over Windows and vice versa things - Mac users and Windows users point and move between tasks in completely different manner.
I trust you speak only for yourself!!! Sorry we would be hauled over the coals
if logins in general didn't automatically timeout.

That part I don't understand. I'm on the forum, I click "reply" button, I'm type, chances are I might actually be willing to post! Millions of vBulletin, phpBB, Power Board or SMF users don't haul their developers over coals for logins actually working and not timing out, why would anyone haul YOU over coals? You know it's a problem, repeatedly reported, it's even in a Back Room "sticky" under "Long replies" - please don't insist it's only problem to myself...
Instead of providing us with multiple descriptions of "workarounds" such bizarre scenarios of how to go about single post using two tabs to cheat the timeout, why not just make it a preference in "My settings" panel?
--------------------
New HJ site - Baskerville
Funny you should say that - I actually thought this site looked like a typical
Mac design where lack of proper taskbar

Nothing to do with taskbars.

In Windows the menubar for a given window is on the window itself. Which means if you have a large screen and you don't maximise the window the menubar is never in quite the same place on the screen twice in a row. This leads to inaccuracy and annoyance. On the Mac however the menubar for the active window is always in the same place, right at the top of the screen, regardless of where the window actually is. This means that you can move the mouse onto it without even thinking. I use Linux, Mac, and occasionally Windows and the Mac way of doing this is far less effort. If there is one thing I would change on the other two it is this.

Incidentally you can make the Mac's dock behave like a taskbar. You can even add a programs menu if you like. Personally I hide everything but the open windows (11 currently) and use Quicksilver to do everything. This thing is probably the biggest advance in usability since 1984:

quicksilver.blacktree.com/
>>This means that you can move the mouse onto it without even thinking.

Fitt's law in action (well, a bit of it). Don't see what use the green expand button is on a Mac window - I prefer the maximse on the PC, makes more sense to me.

07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
New HJ site - Nsar
Moral of the story...don't use Macs -they are the Devil's work.
The well known thing about the Devil is that he has all the best tunes. With that in mind is it any wonder the Mac was his idea? ;-)
Is that's what it is? It's good anyway. It's strange that the Start button in Windows works the same way, but nothing else does. Unless you maximise all windows to fill the screen, which is barmy for most things on a 30" widescreen. On the other hand on Macs with big screens you may have to move the pointer a long way. I think the Expand button on the Mac is to account for different sized screens without having to drag the corner.
New HJ site - Armitage Shanks {p}
Different hat, check the band. Still a strange angle at which to wear anything on one's head IMO!
New HJ site - Clk Sec
I like it. Well done HJ & co.
New HJ site - dxp55
I have noticed an improvement -- when I click back button in discussion I get a box up saying " page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA that has expired" - this only came up on Technical before - now it come up on all subject boards. is it me or the site - I use Firefox - never happens on any other site I visit.
New HJ site - pmh
" page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA that has expired"

I seem to suffer this intermittently.

I think a good improvement would be the provision of a LARGE button at the end of a thread to take you back to the previous page or 'up a level'. The same function as the stupid little left? arrow in each post?

Other wise a marked improvement particularly when used with Firefox and Adblock.
--

pmh (was peter)

when I click back button in discussion ....

If you click on the 'left arrow' button next to the date/time stamp of the post, that will take you back to the main discussion / technical matters page of the forum and will also refresh the page at the same time to reveal any new posts that have occured since you were busy reading a thread. It will also stop you getting the error message.
New HJ site - Imagos
Love the light blue background for the posts.

But surely this must be sponsored by Volkswagen as it's the same 'artic blue silver' as my Passat that I had a while back!

Good to see more prominence for the backroom on the homepage too so many new BR's will be expected shortly.

..and thanks for keeping the total posts in my profile, i was worried this might disappear..

Why some on here disable this feature is a mystery to me. it's a rasion d'etre of forum posting imo.

Anyway HJ unlike some of the whingers in this thread it's a big thumbs up from me.

New HJ site - dxp55
OK as a policeman once said when he came to see me over an accident -50/50 - trouble was he went to the other lying toad first.- anyway I digress - just tried again and no POSTDATA box on discussion - also found those little red arrows on right of post - use the left arrow and it takes you back to main page even on Technical without POSTDATA so I hold my hand up on this one and accept 50% of responsibility

dave
New HJ site - Dwight Van Driver
Yeah.....not bad.......I like it, except

Jeepers where did your get the photo of HJ. In my days looking like that in a car.... PU needed.

Any chance of bit more black ink for the fonts......

Edit button?

dvd

(Wasn't it John Stuart Mills that said " The more things change the more they are the same?")
Oh - do like the blue colour for new posts, very good.

07 Kia Ceed LS
05 Citroën C4 VT
04 Mazda MX5
85 Mini Mayfair
New HJ site - Alyn Beattie
I am in the like the new site club. Still finding my way around though. Is the autotrader link still here?
--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
New HJ site - harry m
not a techi person is there anything i can do so i can see the page i can only describe it as widescreen can't see anything on the righthand side unless i scroll across.any comments in laymans terms please.
New HJ site - MichaelR
I was going to type lots of thoughts, but then I found out that v0n had already pretty much said everything I think - so, instead, I will simply endorse everything v0n has said instead - he's spot on.
Is the autotrader link still here?

Alyn, click on either the 'how to buy & sell' or the 'used cars' links at the top of the page.
New HJ site - bathtub tom
'sfunny, I thought the site had been down all day. That'll probably teach me to take more notice of e-mails that are automatically junked.
New HJ site - Xileno {P}
Don't really care as long as the quality of discussion remains high. Still no edit button though.
New HJ site - NowWheels
Don't really care as long as the quality of discussion remains high. Still no edit
button though.

Much as I'd like an an edit button, another forum showed me the dangers of having one.

A contributor who had been very active for years had written many long posts, without which the associated threads were hard to follow.

Anyway, late one night this man decided to flounce out, which he duly did. Except that on the way out, in the middle of the night, he edited every single post he had ever made to the forum, and blanked them all.

It cut a big hole out of the forum's history.

New HJ site - Xileno {P}
Depends how it's programmed though. It could only be active for five minutes after posting or inactive once a post has been replied to. But it's all academic really, there will be peace in the Middle East before we get one.
New Post indicator - IanJohnson
When I first look at the "index page" it shows all the new posts since I last visited.

When I go back to it after looking at a post it does not - is it assuming I have now looked at them all?
New Post indicator - whoopwhoop
Sorry guys, but this SUCKS!

Talk about a huge step backwards.... I've got a widescreen monitor and have to view the posts with huge areas of blank space on the screen because the forum is not flexible enough to resize!!!

Is this Honest John's "Concorde moment"?

It looks extremely unprofessional. And widescreen is fast becoming the norm - most new PCs now ship with widescreen rather than conventional aspect.
New Post indicator - Baskerville
most new PCs
now ship with widescreen rather than conventional aspect.

But text doesn't work with widescreen. Movies and images are lovely in widescreen, but there is a reason why book pages are taller than they are wide. It has nothing to do with Dell's latest range of monitors and everything to do with the way your eyes work. Widescreen-width text would work brilliantly if you sat 25 feet from your desk, but as soon as you have to move your head even slightly to scan the line you lose your place. Chameleons may see things differently of course.
But text doesn't work with widescreen.

Oh don't talk utter nonsense.

I've got a 23" widescreen monitor and don't have any problems whatwoever reading anyting - even at maximum resolution. Widescreen enables you to see more on one screen without having to keep scrolling down. It's not rocket science!
New Post indicator - Dynamic Dave
It's not rocket science!

Quite!
Try reading a few posts up where Stephen explains the reasoning for the screen width / resolution.
New Post indicator - Mapmaker
whoop whoop. You need to go on a speed reading course.

In fact, the new site, at 8" wide is too wide; PLEASE can we have it returned to 6"?

Thanks.
New Post indicator - v0n
Try reading a few posts up where Stephen explains the reasoning for the screen width
/ resolution.

Stephen however forgot that the previous forum page was resizing freely (and noone complained). I have pictures to prove it. :D
--------------------
Try reading a few posts up where Stephen explains the reasoning for the screen width
/ resolution.

No. got bored after 2 mins.

And as stated before, the old site used to re-size to whatever width the window was, so it's technically possible. Not really interested in why it's no longer possible - just stating that it's a retro-step to no longer be able to do it.
New Post indicator - Baskerville
>>Widescreen enables you to see more on one screen...

It is blinding insights like that one that make the Internet so invigorating. Try adding the word 'windows' after the word 'more' and all will become clear.
It is blinding insights like that one that make the Internet so invigorating. Try adding
the word 'windows' after the word 'more' and all will become clear.

Well, it can't have been a blindiong insight for you, as you don't appear to be capable of understanding what I said.

A wide-screen can show more *everything* than a normal aspect. Whether the user decided to use one window and have more contents within it, or multiple windows is the users choice. Thats the great thing about having a computer - you get to decide what you use it for. You should try it sometime.
New Post indicator - henry k
Oh don't talk utter nonsense.
It's not rocket science!

>>
Have you considered why newspapers have columns yet have an even wider "screen" available and have not utilised it? This situation has existed for longer than you and MS.
New Post indicator - J Bonington Jagworth
"I've got a 23" widescreen monitor"

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to everyone, and web designers have to cater for people with less impressive equipment :-)

In any case, the idea of Windows is that you have more than one thing on the go at once, and the idea of wide screens is to allow you to do it with fewer overlaps. I admit to using full screen for word-processing, but that's to view pages side by side.

In any case, this is HJ's site, and if he didn't know that you can't please everybody, he does now!
Unfortunately that doesn't apply to everyone and web designers have to cater for people with
less impressive equipment :-)

No, Web designers should cater for all popular technology. Most other websites/forums manage this just fine. And widescreen isn't anything "flash" these days - it's pretty de facto standard.
In any case the idea of Windows is that you have more than one thing
on the go at once and the idea of wide screens is to allow you
to do it with fewer overlaps. I admit to using full screen for word-processing but
that's to view pages side by side.

No, the idea of windows is to give you a choice of what you display at the same time. A wide screen gives you more space to play with. But if I only happen to be viewing the internet at that time and have nothing else open, what do you suggest I do? Am I not "allowed" to maximinse the screen?
In any case this is HJ's site and if he didn't know that you can't
please everybody he does now!

Let's cut to the chase. This is a commercial site. All those annoying adverts - they generate income. They do this based on the number of hits. If the forum takes retro steps like this, it becomes less appealing = fewer visits = fewer hits = less revenue.
New HJ site - Alyn Beattie
Thanks DD. Found it
--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
New HJ site - Mapmaker
I am a member of several other forums, and none of them logs me out ever - let alone when I am half way through typing a long reply - or even get interrupted midway through typing my response. It is SOOOOOOOO annoying. It's not internet banking, who cares if somebody else posts under my name and gets me banned (they won't) - frankly they could register a new ID from the same IP and still get me banned. I seldom bother to retype the post if it gets lost. Another vote for change.

On the format front, I think this is the BEST forum I have ever used. All responses on one page which means you don't have to click onto another page every ten posts. Small enough font to have a decent chunk at once. No ridiculous smileys. Sensible column width of about 6" for easy reading.

New HJ site - Clk Sec
I?m relatively new to computers, but would it not be a good idea to type long replies in word and then copy and paste?
New HJ site - Sim-O
Hooray! no more scrolling down for ages and ages to find the new posts, juct click on 'new.

Excellent site, although the new colours aren't for me. I'll probbaly get used to them. Everything else tho'. Spot on.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
New HJ site - J Bonington Jagworth
"type long replies in word"

Or even Notepad! If you only learn one set of keyboard shortcuts, make it Ctrl C and Ctrl V - they are great timesavers. If I compose a long answer here (which I confess sometimes happens) and get diverted, I highlight the text on the screen and press Ctrl C as a safeguard, so it can be instantly recalled from any situation short of a complete Windows crash - which of course is unheard of.. :-)
New HJ site - Mapmaker
I?m relatively new to computers but would it not be a good idea to type
long replies in word and then copy and paste?

I'm relatively new to driving. Wouldn't it be best to do a journey first in a mini in order to see whether a larger car will fit and then go back and do it in a Range Rover?
New HJ site - Stephen
Mapmaker - tend to agree with you on all points.
See my earlier post for comments on your login. Also tend to agree with your comment that it would be even more readable at a slightly narrower width of 6" or so.
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net