yr 2000 320d- Turbo Problems! - olij2003
Hello everyone, i am the proud owner of a 2000 e46 320d, on my way rushed way home tonight i appear to have killed the turbo somewhere... it still drives, although with absolutely no power at all and makes a noise similar to that of a vibrating (tin sounding) heatshield... although gets worse with engine speed (ie. turbo flaps!).. this, tied in with the smoke that has a similarity to that of a small forest fire coming from the exhaust i have took a 'guess' that i have knackered the turbo!!

i have noticed that the rover 75 diesel uses a similar.. if not the same engine as this, although mine i believe was the earlier/earliest 320d around, believing that it is not electrical and therefore cannot use the latter model turbo.. are they still specific to particular mood Mr Bmw decided to fit to him when he was building my car? or could i slap a random one off of a rover 75/ freelander T4 or any other thing i could find which would widen my search on the ebay home page?!

am sorry that my first ever post, was not of an introduction but more as a HELP... PLEASE, but my name is OLI (OLIVER) and would appreciate anything given right now!!

many thanks

olij2003
s
TURBO PROBLEMS... PLEASE HELP?! - adverse camber
have you actually looked things over ?

loss of power and lots of smoke could easily be a split intercooler hose

dont guess, thats an expensive way of looking after cars.
TURBO PROBLEMS... PLEASE HELP?! - Aprilia
Stop fretting and get someone to check the car over. The fault has not been properly diagnosed yet. If you DO need a new turbo then don't bother with some random secondhand item. Either get a new unit or a quality rebuilt one from someone like TurboTechnics. This will be a costly job, so get it 'right first time'.
TURBO PROBLEMS... PLEASE HELP?! - gordonbennet
And be very grateful Oliver that you don't have the 2001 on E46 with the 150hp engine cos the turbo is the least of the probs on the inlet side.

Suggest having a look on the BMWLand forum you will find threads and posts galore on there about the dreaded unheard of turbo probs on the 320's and some of the chaps on there may be able to point you in the direction of a recommended indy local to you...good luck with it

ttfn
TURBO PROBLEMS... PLEASE HELP?! - SS069
try replacing the MAF it worked on mine when I had the exact sounding same problem & the new MAF didn't need re-programming by the BMW dealer.

I developed the same problem a couple of weeks ago, so I fitted a new MAF, but it didn't cure the problem, so I booked it in with my local BMW dealer Bowker @ Preston, they reprogrammed the whole car & took it for a road test. Upon testing the car, the engine still wouldn't rev under load, but revved lumpy in neuteral.

In the end they diagnosed it as the EGR, so I now have a spare MAF at a very reasonable price for anyone requiring it !