Old `shade tree` mechanics - oilrag
Serviced both cars on the drive this morning, saving around £350
Been doing this since my first car in 1966.

Anyone else from the same generation or older still doing ( and enjoying) this?
I find I have to chose warmish days or i`m in trouble after a couple of hours and cant grip the tools.. :)

Regards
Old `shade tree` mechanics - mjm
Yes, I do. From the same year.

Am looking after the Xantia, son's MX5 and, occaisionally daughter's MR2.

I still enjoy it but have found that a trolley jack and axle stands are essentials.

I do tend to use local independants now for such things as drive shaft gaiters, they can usually change them while I am still looking for a decent sized hammer(essential tool!) :)
Old `shade tree` mechanics - Xileno {P}
Not much now. Used to do most of my cars but:

1. Don't have much time

2. Technology moved on beyond average DIY skills

3. I can earn more in the time it takes to service it compared to what the garage would charge.

Still tinker with old 205, Dauphine and Series Land Rovers.
"I can earn more in the time it takes to service it compared to what the garage would charge."

You have a good job ! I saved £350+ this morning :)
Old `shade tree` mechanics - PeterRed
I've done mine since about 1980. Mind you, it's limited to oil, filter, brake (pads & fluid bleed) and assorted lubrication these days. Can't say I miss adjusting tappets or tuning carbs. Luckily, I've had very little need to visit garages except where required under warranty conditions. I still find DIY servicing very satisfying - particularly knowing that I've used decent oil and done it properly.
Old `shade tree` mechanics - P3t3r
Serviced both cars on the drive this morning saving around £350+
Been doing this since my first car in 1966.

£350? That must a main dealer bearing in mind that you still need to pay for the parts?
Anyone else from the same generation or older still doing ( and enjoying) this?

Not from the same generation, I'm only 23, but I still do it. I do get some enjoyment, but I've also been a bit unlucky recently with the problems I've had. This years service was stretched over about 6 months, buying parts, and finding the time to do it. I feel a lot happier knowing exactly what has been done to my car. My limited experience with garages/mechanics hasn't been very good.
I find I have to chose warmish days or i`m in trouble after a couple
of hours and cant grip the tools.. :)

Yeah, I do all my servicing in the summer, in the Winter it would be horrible.
Old `shade tree` mechanics - bathtub tom
>>Still tinker with old 205, Dauphine and Series Land Rovers.

Dauphine? I salute you squire. Haven't seen one of those since I rode a motorbike into the back of a dithering Italian's one back in the sixties (at least I think he was Italian, couldn't understand a blithering word he was saying). Thank goodness they were built out of softer stuff than Julie Andrew's Fabia (you've seen the ad). Did no damage to the 'bike or me, but wrecked his bumper and rear panel.

On the DIY front, I had to learn quickly, otherwise I could never have looked after the 'bike I bought with my paper round earnings, and rode to school on my sixteenth birthday in '65.

I've just done two CV gaiters, and a cam-belt. It hurts a lot more than it ever used to!
Old `shade tree` mechanics - martint123
Yup, I still do it. Changed oil/filters/plugs in both bikes this afternoon.

Changed the clutch in the MX5 last weekend (may have a week earlier), not sure if I'd do that again on my own, gearbox was a bit heavy to lift/shove into place.
I wish I hadnt mentioned the £ savings part of DIY. I`m much more interested in the `human condition` I now find 6 hours or so a bit much. In as much as I ache all over :) think I will do the cars on seperate days in future. I dont think its totally ageing, but perhaps also to do with the effects of decades of `head` work leading to physical `softness` LOL

It would be great to see some old boy, 20 years down the line perhaps pushing 80 come on here and say he`s still working on his cars,. Something to aspire to :)

Regards
Old `shade tree` mechanics - Number_Cruncher
My father carried on mending cars until he was 71. His business was a garage, MOT station, and general haulage. He enjoyed the work until in his late 60's arthritis in his knees made getting under cars quite difficult. He had an old fashioned workshop. The electric vehicle lift was only there because the MOT regs demanded it - everything else was done either sat on a buffet at the side by the wheel, or lying on a board underneath. We had a ramp outside for the trucks, which was built out of blocks - if you were really careful, and a lot bold, you could just get a transit van on there, with half of the tyres on the ramp, and half in mid air!

As mentioned by Screwloose on a thread about an old car, he didn't have a torque wrench until he really needed one - early 1980's I think he finally gave in and bought one.

He expected his mechanics to provide their own tools for British cars, but didn't see why they should provide them for "foreign rubbish" (which in truth, we didn't see much of), so he provided a set of metric spanners and sockets.

Despite the less than polished surroundings, he did some good work in there. For example, when parts were scarce just after the war, he would routinely build worn gears up with weld (even bevel gears in back axles) and file and fit them to get them running together again. When I was a boy, there were usually at least 3 engines out being decoked or overhauled, and fitting flywheel ring gears was a frequent job rather than a rarity.

Number_Cruncher

Old `shade tree` mechanics - madf
I bought first car in 1965:-)

Service 3 in family ...

Modern cars are complex but routine servicing of smaller ones is a piece of.. sorry.. easy.

As I have a pit and axle stands and at least 5 metric spanners, I am fully equipped...:-))

On small cars such as a 106, oil, filters and plug changes take two hours tops.. including all the other inspections/waxing underneath rusty bits etc...

It's no hassle 3-4 times a year...I can still jump out of a pit as well as I did 20 years ago, (I knew keeping running was worthwhile and would pay off:-)
madf
I enjoyed reading your post Number Cruncher, Thanks
."I can still jump out of a pit as well as I did 20 years ago"

I can jump better than 20 years ago... But I was 15 stone then ( mostly fat) and just under 11 stone now ....
Old `shade tree` mechanics - gmac
I did the commuter bike ('97 CBR600) today, oil, filters (air and oil), plugs and coolant, plus a bit of tarting up on the frame where stone chips were starting to rust. Just getting it ready to ride through the winter so lots of grease being spattered about too.

Usually don't bother with the car as still under manufacturers warranty though do interim oil change and have been known to do brake pads, discs and the like in the past, no major surgery though as don't have the space or tools for engine out jobs.

I don't really save that much doing it myself as I usually use expensive oils and manufacturers filters but at least I know what's gone into the engine and yes, I do get satisfaction afterwards having a beer so I don't wake in the middle of the night wondering if I tightened the ramair pipes onto the airbox :)
Old `shade tree` mechanics - pmh
Started with my first car Morris Minor in 1965 ( NUG 37, side valve and no water pump, and a single ns dipping headlight, one of the very first!) and still just doing the family fleet.

I should really have bought the trolley jack earlier in life, and then my back would not be as bad as it is now. The pit, built about 17 years ago, has paid for itself and has certain;y been a benefit.

My pet hate is brake related issues as you have to grovel on the floor. Well, it is not the grovelling, but the getting up afterwards! I keep thinking about getting a long rsj to put along the middle of the pit so I can do jobs standing in the pit that would otherwise at ground level. has any body else done this?
--

pmh (was peter)

Old `shade tree` mechanics - bell boy
you can buy these pmh ,
tinyurl.com/yojsqs
like this click jacking beams
if you find a garage sale locally that did mots they usually have one for sale that will be the old 3 tonne or something so was abandonedwhen vosa upped the ante
ideal for you and it should be less than £100
bb thanks for that thought, but I was thinking of 'along the pit' so I can stand in the pit on the 'outside ' of the car.

PS what is a ' shade tree' mechanic????????
--

pmh (was peter)

Edited by Webmaster on 26/10/2007 at 01:47

Old `shade tree` mechanics - Mookfish
I do most of the work on my car, just a few things I don't have the space to do, or if the tools needed cost allot more than a garage would charge to do the job.

I'm only 28, but as until last year I'd never had a car less than 12 years old, I never had to worry about ECU problems. I am finding that there all the electronics in newer cars make DIY repairs allot harder.
"PS what is a ' shade tree' mechanic????????"

A US term, Old midwest/Arizona shack of a house, with car repair going on under the shade of the tree by the side, typically on a dirt surface in the middle of nowhere. Best if you imagine a couple of wrecked pickups under there too and tumbleweed rolling past..

I think I would quite like that..... just toss the old engine oil around to keep down the dust ;=)

Edited by Webmaster on 26/10/2007 at 01:47

oilrag

thanks for the education - I did Google but it did not appear on the front page. I had assumed it was literal in its meaning, but you nailed it to an area.

--

pmh (was peter)

Old `shade tree` mechanics - gordonbennet
Maybe its a generation thing we usually didn't have the money to buy nice new cars or to pay someone else to repair them so we bought old bangers and kept them running out of the scrap yard, over the last 20 years especially i have seen youngsters buying brand new cars as their first vehicle it was unheard of when i was 17.

I don't mean to generalise and sorry if
cause offence to the youngsters who do have a go and fix their older cars but you know you're in a minority among your peers.

Know what you mean about not being able to spend so long under the motors in the cold though, and yes my back is shot and i blame it squarely on bending over bonnets for so long

"Know what you mean about not being able to spend so long under the motors in the cold though"

A couple of winters back I was under the car on the drive doing a job at -3c ( checked the thermometer aferwards) with a breeze, feeling the cold, but pressing on and focussing on the job.After 1 1/2hours or so found my hands were getting so I couldnt control them properly. then I struggled to get to my feet but could only just walk.
A bit of panic then really as there was no one around, got inside and then crawled up the stairs and into a hot bath with most of my clothes on as I couldnt handle the buttons.
Kept quiet about this of course at home. But reflecting on it, it crept up on me without really noticing and I cant remember shivering at the end.

Decades back I wouldt have felt this, but now I do all the servicing on warm days and sort of `bridge` the winter..

Moral... Perhaps you can lose too much weight ;=)
Old `shade tree` mechanics - gordonbennet
Think you may have had a lucky escape there oilrag, i believe that was probably the first stages of hypothermia setting in.

I think back over the years at some of the really daft things we've done and the risks we've taken to repair our cars and its amazing we've survived to tell the tale.
I used to get so fed up with my late father whittling me about propping the car up securely before venturing underneath....no prizes for my comments to my son about getting under the car with only the trolley jack supporting! Cant believe i've turned into me dad.
Old `shade tree` mechanics - Martin Devon
Moral... Perhaps you can lose too much weight ;=)

...If only!

MD
Old `shade tree` mechanics - Clanger
Great thread. I started with an old VW Beetle which was kept alive by frequent visits to various scrapyards, often with my mates. It was a social thing and you learnt a fair bit. Once had the oil pump go on my Renault 16TX as I was parking at work. Heard an odd noise and killed the motor just as the oil light came on. Cleared a space in the warehouse and work mates pushed it into position. Then commenced a full engine rebuild. Didn't need the crank touching, just shells and thrust bearings. And a new oil pump. Said the parts man at Renault Leeds "What have you been doing doing? These never break". Answered in my head, "Caning it to within an inch of its life and cornering it on its door handles."

I now look after 4 cars and a motorbike and have just done the back brakes (shoes and cylinders) and the front suspension arms on son's AX to get it an MoT. I drew the line at an oil change which I made him do this afternoon. He wasn't overjoyed but got on with it while I stripped the bike's brakes and cleaned them. I only got involved when he overfilled the AX with oil because he didn't look in the right place in the Haynes manual.

Loved to read Number Cruncher's post; my dad had the local garage in the late '50s and sold up to one Mike Massingberd IIRC who later had loads of VW garages in Yorkshire.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
"Maybe its a generation thing we usually didn't have the money to buy nice new cars or to pay someone else to repair them"

Thats how I see it Gordonbennet, I noticed the service interval in an advert for a Diesel Vauxhall Astra today. " 2 years or 30,000 miles.

That would be Ten 3,000 mile services in the mid 60`s ( well it was on my Mini) I was thinking of the labour costs and the time to do the services in those days. I can remember having to jack each wheel up in turn on the Mini and manually adjust each brake, for example.

How much would that level of profession labour cost today, even without all the parts?
No wonder many of us just HAD to do DIY, the alternative was no car. Actually, my memory is of spending a couple of hours almost every Saturday working on it.

I found I then got enjoyment from it and in `doing a really throrough job`

I wonder if thats some genetic programming that would have found a different expression in the thousands of years leading up to recorded history?
Or to put it differently, as though a void was being filled, or a bonding with things mechanical, upon their *discovery* in childhood.
I speculate, that for our generation it was engines, perhaps now other things ` fill the gap` with kids.
But then, they never stood on the platforms at Doncaster, surrounded by the splendour of steam, or were let into the cabs by some of those great old steam engine drivers.

Its got to be something, because if you take a 5 year old boy and girl to a traction engine rally, the boy is transfixed.
The way I see it, there must have been an evolutionary advantage for this almost exclusive male thing. but its now expressed differently.

Regards
Just to add, Aged 10, my mates and I used to take a 20mile train trip to Doncaster. Hang out in the station begging ( and getting) entry to the cabs and footplates of trains in the station, before they pulled out again.
Then we would try to get into the `Plant` and on to the `sheds` once getting into the cab of one engine unnoticed, pulling all the levers etc. (Not in steam)

We used to stick our heads out of the windows on the way there and back, trying to see the engine that was `pulling` us

Parents knew none of this of course, thought we were `out playing` ;=)

Old `shade tree` mechanics - Cliff Pope
I bought my first car in 1966 (£10 Triumph Mayflower, I saved up my pocket money) and have always done my own servicing and repairs ever since.
Earlier this year I took a car to a garage for the first time ever. The Triumph 2000 had developed a peculiar clutch fault, and I couldn't face doing the job all over again. After a certain age lying in a puddle of oil on the garage floor struggling to lift a gearbox seems to lose its attraction.
Old `shade tree` mechanics - barchettaman
Perhaps the interest for today´s ´yoof´ lies more in fitting a monster stereo, cherry bomb exhaust, lowering spring, body kit, alloys etc rather than making sure the car is actually roadworthy - and getting ones hands dirty if necessary.
Old `shade tree` mechanics - madf
>Cliff
I recall changing clutch on a 2.5PI Triumph. The gearbox +overdrive was very heavy then .. I was around 29 at the time. It's now not an issue of not wanting to lift the gearbox but being able to:-(

madf
Old `shade tree` mechanics - bathtub tom
I paused to admire an old Eunos. The yoof owner proudly told me he'd picked it up for seven hundred quid. He'd fitted better stereo, dash trim, ally gearknob, faux roll hoops, cheese cutter grille, quick-release petrol-filler cap, lower springs, ally wheels, rear spoiler, hard-top and just paid nine hundred quid for a respray were amongst the things I remember.
He then said a mate had told him to put some oil in the engine to get the pressure gauge off zero, he admitted it left puddles wherever it stopped.
"Nah, haven't had it serviced since I bought it three years ago"
Old `shade tree` mechanics - none
And if I remember correctly, Triumph would never use one bolt when two would do.
Old `shade tree` mechanics - Lud
After a certain age lying in a puddle of oil on
the garage floor

... let alone a London gutter with what may be dog poo near your head and buses running over your feet... Shade tree is best, but only in summer, and the dust gets all over everything.

But a Triumph Mayflower CP, chapeau!
Old `shade tree` mechanics - boxsterboy
I remember that as a youth, DIY car servicing was essential for 2 reasons:

1. The cars used to rust so much that every few months I would have to grind back some rust and get the Jenolite or similar out, fill the holes, prime and paint. Largely galvanised cars have made that irrelevant, now.

2. There was no way I could afford a dealer to service my car, and as they were all over 10 years old, not worth the 'investment' in maintaining a FSH. So I did it myself - which in those days really was so much easier - no electronics to worry about, no shields above or below the engine to remove, easy access for the oil filter, light bulbs, etc.

It was actually enjoyable. Nowadays it is nigh on impossible just to change a light bulb on some cars, without removing the whole bumper!
Old `shade tree` mechanics - Martin Devon
It was actually enjoyable. Nowadays it is nigh on impossible just to change a light
bulb on some cars without removing the whole bumper!

>>
'Progress' my Son.....'Progress'

Give me a Tiger Cub any day...........................MD
Old `shade tree` mechanics - bell boy
i would have said vauxhall viva hc :-)..........MD
Old `shade tree` mechanics - David Horn
I did an oil change on the Accord last week. It was EVIL. The filter is mounted in such a way that you can't get a tool on it, so it was back to the ol' fashioned beat-a-screwdriver-into-it methodology, at which point I started to unscrew it and because the base tilts downwards it emptied the hot oil over the engine, exhaust, driveway, and me!
Old `shade tree` mechanics - Pete M
I started servicing my own cars back in 1972, and I'm still doing it. I can count 23 cars of my own in that time, plus 7 motorcycles. I started doing it because I found I couldn't afford to pay someone else large amounts of money for work I could do myself. I have paid for specialised work like cylinder head planing, but the general servicing and repairs can all be done with the help of a manual to guide you.
In the last month, I've replaced a Mini front wheel bearing, done an oil and filter change on the Mitsubishi VR-4, and sorted out some electrical issues on the XJ12. Paying someone else to do that sort of thing for me, just seems lazy. I've never bought a huge toolkit, just built it up piece by piece as I needed it. I lived in the UK from '97 to '02 and had to recreate my toolkit from scratch and service the cars outside. That was interesting, and there was no shade tree either.