1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - dylan
I'm thinking of buying an Almera Tino 1.8 Petrol - probably circa 2004.

I've always driven manuals, mainly because they're cheaper to buy, better mpg, more reliable etc. But I'm wondering if I should consider auto in this case. Is the Tino auto a good one? What about mpg? The official mpg is only slightly worse than the manual - but what about in the real world?

Any insight appreciated, along with any comments in general about the Tino, particularly the 1.8 petrol engine.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - GregSwain
Hi,

The Tino uses the QG18DE engine, which is a bullet-proof chain-cam unit. No problems there. However I'm sure the auto offered in the Tino was a CVT (rubber band) rather than a torque converter box. Interestingly, the auto offered in the standard Almera with the same engine is a standard TC unit. The TC unit would be my preference. The manual boxes fitted in these models are also bullet-proof.

The Tino was built in Spain, so the build-quality might not be as good as the Almera hatchback which was built in Sunderland. From personal experience, real-world mixed driving in a 1.8 Almera hatch with the TC box will return mid 30s with a gentle right foot. The Tino should be similar.

If you're set on buying a Tino rather than the hatchback, personally I'd recommend the manual box.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - jase1
Yeah the QG18 is a very conservative design that puts low-end torque and overall robustness ahead of outright power. It won't feel very fast on an initial run but it feels a lot more meaty than the typical petrol engine once you are used to it. It is a bit coarse though compared to some other designs (silent at idle, much more so than most others, but boomy when the loud pedal is pressed).

I'd have the petrol as well -- nothing wrong with the CVT, but the Nissan manuals are particularly slick and sweet to use. Ford/Vauxhall shifts just seem baulky and clunky by comparison.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - dylan
Thanks guys - didn't realise that it's a CVT. Think I'll stick with the manual. Good to hear the engine is reliable.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - bathtub tom
>>The Tino uses the QG18DE engine, which is a bullet-proof chain-cam unit.

I'd rather change a cam-belt than a Renault/Nissan chain.
Don't mention the the well-known QG cam chain failures (I did once, but I think I got away with it).
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - jase1
The 1.5 had tensioner issues -- similar to problems that Vauxhall, Daewoo, Fiat and VAG have also experienced.

The 1.8 had a different design from day one. That engine was an older design than the 1.5, and carried over the tensioner from the older GA series engines, that hardly ever had problems.
I'd rather change a cam-belt than a Renault/Nissan chain.
Don't mention the the well-known QG cam chain failures

Firstly that engine is absolutely nothing to do with Renault - it's 100% Nissan (I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole if Renault had interfered with it). Secondly there were never any cam chain failures on the 1.8 litre QG engine as Jase1 has already told you - it affected the early 1.5 litre units. These 1.8 engines can do 200k on their original chain/tensioners if they're serviced correctly, as could the old GA and SR series units. So, bearing in mind accurate info from 2 people who both own Nissans, there's nothing wrong with the QG18DE engine.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - Big John
The Normal (Not Tino) Almera 1.8 auto does NOT have a CVT box, it's an excellent traditional one with an overdrive button.
sq
Yes, as I said... "Interestingly, the auto offered in the standard Almera with the same engine is a standard TC unit." My mum owns an Almera 1.8 auto hatch, and I agree it's a particularly good autobox.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - NowWheels
sq

I got one too, and agree that it's very good. The overdrive button is particularly handy.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - jim_h
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. But, I'm looking to buy an automatic Tino (2005) with approx 25k on the clock. It has full Nissan service history and looks to be in good condition.

Should I avoid the auto or is it generally reliable? I don't understand enough about the types of engines used, so have had trouble working out whether the answer to the original question was yes or no that the auto is ok :-)

Cheers,
Jim
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - pyruse
Nothing wrong with the Almera autobox - indeed it's probably one of the most reliable ones you can buy. It's conventional (torque convertor) autobox with overdrive (which can be turned off). Nice to drive, responsive, and pretty frugal with petrol.
(We get about 35mpg round down, 42mpg on a run; this is the 1.8 engine).
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - jim_h
Thanks for the reply pyruse, that's good enough for me :-)

I'm looking forward to getting something a bit more reliable and cheaper than my Freelander!
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - Dog
Well ... all's been said now, I've got an 05 1.8 SE Auto and it does what it say's on the tin - I would swop it 2morrow for a Cashcow (if I had the cash), but I rate it very highly indeed, and I've owned some cars in my time but ... if it had a CVT, I wouldn't touch it with a Gondola pole.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - Optimist
I agree. The 1.8 auto does drive very well.

I didn't know the Tino was a CVT but, as far as I can tell, that's a 2.0 not a 1.8 anyway so the same as the Primera auto, I suppose.

If you won't touch a CVT but want an auto Qashqai, Dog, you're looking at the 2.0 diesel which means a 4WD, so even more cash.

I've driven the 2.0 diesel manual, and it's a very nice car.

Edited by Optimist on 02/08/2008 at 01:31

Maybe CVT's have changed Opimist, I don't know ... my experience of CVT's started with the Daf 33 (not mine !), I did own one of the early Civic's with some "funny" gearbox and I had an Accord with the same box, they're ok but I like a "normal" autobox ... I had the "pleasure" of driving a Citroen C3 some years back with some gearbox that is a manual but changes gear via some arrangement of clutches, I kinda liked it to a certain extent + ya could change gear via paddles on the steering wheel or use it as a manual box or full autobox - cute !
swmbo didn't like it though as it wouldn't hold on hills & being we're in Cornwall our NCB would have disappeared faster than a pint of decent beer !
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - lori1247
I wouldnt buy one of these dylan
I had a 1.8 petrol 2005 almera Tino it went up in flames 3 weeks ago with an electrical fault
It has put me off Nissan for life
I was lucky i wasnt in it at the time ....... fireman said i would'nt have stood a chance

Bit like saying I wouldn't live in L.A. as it suffers Earthquakes ...
There *is not* a problem concerning Nissan cars & spontaneous combustion.

>>>I wouldnt buy one of these dylan
I had a 1.8 petrol 2005 almera Tino it went up in flames<<<
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - NowWheels
Bit like saying I wouldn't live in L.A. as it suffers Earthquakes ...
There *is not* a problem concerning Nissan cars & spontaneous combustion.

You're probably right about Nissans, but you're wrong about LA. The impending big earthquake in California will be further south, but it will be big enough to serious mischief to LA: see tinyurl.com/6e78g7
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - Pugugly
There was an earth-quake there last week.
Yep - amazing country tha U.S of A, I'd rather have liked to have been a High Plains Drifter, well, 30 years ago maybe !
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - lori1247
How can you say "There is not a problem concerning Nissan cars & spontaneous combustion" ?? That happened to me 3 weeks ago and was very distressing for me............ My car hadn't been moved for 7 hrs and it went on fire ........ Don't tell me there is no problem with that !!!
Hello lori ... I am sorry to hear about your very, what must have been frightening experience with your car but, from what I know there isn't a problem *generally* with Nissan cars, or (I believe) The Nissan Almera Tino regarding fires but - I can understand exactly how you must feel.

Kind Regards - Ray.
1.8 petrol - manual or automatic? - Statistical outlier
Lori, it has clearly really shaken you up, and I am sure you have the full sympathy of all here. Not nice at all, and I hope your insurance have covered it promptly.

I think the point made was that there is no *general* problem with Nissan cars and spontaneous combustion - you were unlucky enough to get a dud.

You have my sympathy - I am the owner of the worlds only unreliable Honda - off the road for 8 weeks in the 2.5 years I have owned it from new. Very annoying from my point of view, but it certainly doesn't change the fact that Honda is generally an exceptionally reliable brand. Likewise with Nissan.

Edited by Gordon M on 07/08/2008 at 13:01