Why are caravans always white? - Mad Maxy
Well UK ones anyway. It's so boring. Must make it difficult to find your 'van among a load of them parked up 'cos they all look the same.

Why don't caravanners demand more variety? Why are they so uninterested in individual expression. Says a lot about 'em, IMO...

(Mind you, even if they were painted more imaginitively/attractively, they'd still be mobile road blocks that are difficult to get past.)
Why are caravans always white? - J Bonington Jagworth
I assume it's for the same reason that American ones are silver - it reflects the heat in summer and contains it in winter, but I agree with you about the lack of expression. I'd want a bad, black one with a shotgun rack on it...

What really baffles me is their naming - I've lost count of the number of times I've been stuck behind a 'sprinter'.
Why are caravans always white? - NowWheels
I assume it's for the same reason that American ones are silver - it reflects
the heat in summer and contains it in winter

That and the natural colours of the fibreglass. It's the same with boats: fibreglass ones are white by default, but even wooden boats are usually painted white (at least if they are big enough to have accommodation), because otherwise they can turn into ovens in the summer. It's less of an issue in Northern Europe than in other climates, but look at the colour of boats in the med: they are either white or they are baking.
Why are caravans always white? - Paul I
The Serious answer is like a plane or fridge truck to reflect heat. German caravan maker Hymer does a nice met Silver
Why are caravans always white? - Gromit {P}
The Serious answer is like a plane or fridge truck to reflect heat.

That, and the glassfibre-reinforced resin they're made from is naturally off-white in colour. Its easier add pigment to the resin to make it brighter white than it is achieve a consistent finish by adding coloured pigment.
Why are caravans always white? - Collos25
I bet there are more not white,caravan showroom near me not one pure white one there.
Why are caravans always white? - NARU
I bet there are more not white caravan showroom near me not one pure white
one there.

Bailey (the best selling make) are off-white. A sort of magnolia colour.
Why are caravans always white? - Collos25
Not white then
Why are caravans always white? - Cliff Pope
You can paint them any colour you like. I saw a dark blue and cream two-tone one yesterday.
Why are caravans always white? - J Bonington Jagworth
"dark blue and cream two-tone"

Towed by a Vauxhall Cresta, I hope!
Why are caravans always white? - Clk Sec
I think it's a thick coat of algae, but I do frequently see a green caravan locally.
Why are caravans always white? - Vin {P}
White plastics are much more UV-stable than coloured. Put a piece of coloured plastic in the sun for a couple of weeks and see what happens to its colour. With white, there's no problem>

V
Why are caravans always white? - boxsterboy
Our VW T5 camper van is raven blue - a sort of mid metallic blue. I was tempted by silver, for the heat issues as discussed above, but actually, with the roof up it doesn't get too hot in the sun.

And it's very easy to find in the camp-site!
Why are caravans always white? - Walton2
White makes them stand out more against the road, hedges etc. Easier to spot in the sights of the RPG launcher :)
Why are caravans always white? - JH
W,
and they show up on Google Earth a treat. I recently checked out a walk round Flamborough Head that I did, spotted an odd pattern, zoomed in out of curiousity and aaghh! caravans! No wonder the aliens are keeping away.
JH
Why are caravans always white? - milkyjoe
why are caravans white? its because they blend in with the field they are parked in so as not to offend passers by admiring the scenery....really i suppose it helps stop the suns rays turning them into ovens as most are summer use possibly?
Why are caravans always white? - L'escargot
Why are white-van-man vans always white?
--
L\'escargot.
Why are caravans always white? - Pugugly {P}
Saw a nice two tone beige one today.
Why are caravans always white? - Garethj
Why are white-van-man vans always white?

Dunno, but I remember when vans were usually blue. In fact they're still blue in Taiwan
Why are caravans always white? - Lud
No offence to Mad Maxy, but caravans aren't always white at all. They come in all sorts of colours and are often streaked with chrome or anodised aluminium flashes.
Why are caravans always white? - milkyjoe
i remember just after the riots in 81 all police transits suddenly became midnight blue instead of the usual white(throw a petrol bomb at me) shade as they sillouetted around our inner cities at night....ah the good old days
Why are caravans always white? - AlastairW
White van are white because colour costs money. Back in the 80s our borough council started buying new trucks in white rather than council yellow because it saved them £400 per vehicle in respray costs.
Why are caravans always white? - steveo3002
white and light colours are best for not showing up dents,ripples and minor abrasions etc
Why are caravans always white? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Was that because white didn't show damage and scrapes or because white paint is/was cheaper than yellow?
Why are caravans always white? - AlastairW
The council quote was something along the lines of white is standard. Anything else costs extra.