Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - DP
Does anyone know where you can buy Elf oil apart from at Renault dealers? Specifically the Evolution SXR 5W-40 fully synthetic stuff.

The Scenic is almost half way through its ludicrous 18k service interval, and I'm going to change the oil and filter myself. For peace of mind, I want to use the exact recommended brew. I will also fit a genuine Renault filter at the same time.

I'm not averse to buying the oil from the dealer when I buy the filter, but would be nice to be able to compare prices at a few outlets. I have never seen Elf oil for sale anywhere though, and the Elf website doesn't help.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Paul I
DP

The Elf oil bit is a recommendation not a requirement having run our old Scenic on both Elf, Havoline, Fuchs and Total the make to my mind made not one bit of difference the grade however does.

In fact I could take you to a large renault dealer in Essex that uses Shell lubricants!

Therefore with warranty in mind when I purchased oil I went to a factors like GSF where your recipt will state the grade of oil purchased.

Sometimes however the parts guy @ Renault would "trade discount" the oil to make it under £20 so miracles do happen!!

By the way Elf and Total oils are the same !! and Total is a very good price at GSF compared to their own garages.
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Collos25
Ask yourself if there are so many different types of oil why do main agents have only two oil tanks.
Thanks for the replies. Good call on GSF / Total oil. I'll see what I can find.

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Falkirk Bairn
>>Does anyone know where you can buy Elf oil apart from at Renault dealers?

I take it you are looking somewhere Elf to buy the oil?

I'll get my coat!!

Basically any 5-40 is the same as the next unless you get into the finer points of the VAG oil specs which seem to cahnge every other month or so.
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - wemyss
The wifes Fabia is very specific in the handbook on which VAG oil to use.
And then underneath the bonnet they put a sticker saying that Skoda reccomend using SHELL oil.
wemyss
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Xileno {P}
The make of oil doesn't matter as long as the spec is the same. For Renault dCi you need IMO only the very best fully synthetic. I use Castrol TXT Softec 5W-40 which meets all the necessary requirements ACEA A3/B3/B4 API SL/CF.
Cheers chaps (as always!) :-)

It's probably overkill doing it at all, but 18,000 miles on the same oil in a diesel engine just seems ridiculous to me, especially a diesel engine that's reasonably highly stressed and lugging 1500kg of car around. I'll just feel better knowing it's got fresh oil in it, and its last owner had mid point changes done as well (although paid a Renault dealer to do it!)

Assuming the usual rule that Min to Max on the dipstick is a litre of oil, the engine has used about 200ml of oil in the 7,500 miles since it was last serviced and still pulls like a train, so I'm guessing it's in rude health at the moment (43 and a bit k).

Manufacturers warranty runs out next month as well. Gulp! ;-)

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Paul I
It's probably overkill doing it at all but 18 000 miles on the same oil

well DP as you may or may not know we had a Scenic DCi which ate two turbo's based on Renaults stupid 18K intervals a dealer told me that 9k is right and 18k was purely for fleets as they will go through the 60k warranty in no time so Renault saw no risk
Assuming the usual rule that Min to Max on the dipstick is a litre of oil the engine has used about 200ml of oil in the 7 500 miles since
it was last serviced and still pulls like a train so I'm guessing it's in rude health at the moment (43 and a bit k).

As for burning oil well the Renault Forum's and dealers have two different views on this some people say it's OK others report that the DCi shouldn't use oil and if it is to check you MAF

One last thing is you must sump drain these engines as an extractor doesn't like dci's complex internals

Paul
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Xileno {P}
'In the event of use in certain extreme conditions:

* door to door

* urban driving

* repeated short journeys, cold engine at low temperatures etc.

RENAULT recommends that you contact their network and have the oil changed every 10000 miles or once a year.'
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Bof2
Oil is cheap; engines and turbos are expensive. Extended oil change intervals are fine for fleet users, because they keep the servicing costs down, and the fleets get rid of their cars before the problems surface. If you want your engine to last, change the oil and filter every 6 months/6000 miles (or less if the manufacturer recommends it - they don't these days, but it used to be every 3000 miles) to be sure. I've been doing it for forty years, and I've NEVER had an engine problem or breakdown due to poor, or lack of, lubrication.

And by the way, Evolution SXR is not a full synthetic, it's a semi-synthetic. Don't let that necessarily put anyone off; fully-synthetic base stock is only better than semi-synthetic if you're going to leave the oil in for a long time and rag the car. If you use sensible oil change intervals, the additive package is much more important, and you can tell that from the API/ACEA oil spec.

BOF2
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - rtj70
Well done in responding to a thread from 2007. Welcome to the forum.

Rob
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - L'escargot
In view of the connection between Total and Elf I think a Total petrol station might be a good place to look for Elf lubricants.
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - jc2
You may also find them at Peugeot and Citroen dealers.
The Scenic's been run on Total Quartz 9000 (a fully synthetic 5W/40 ACEA B3/B4 approved oil, which I have heard from a few sources is actually the same stuff as the Elf Excellium fully synth). I can buy this oil on-line for £27.76 for 5 litres (against £40-£45 in the petrol station shops!). The Scenic's had a fresh sumpful of this every 9k and seems quite happy on it. I'm also running the Volvo on it, which is handy as I can keep one top up can for both cars!

I'm happy to post a link to where I get this from if anyone's interested, and if it doesn't break any site rules. This place also does Elf Evolution SXR for £24.31 for 5 litres.
Elf lubricants - Renault dealers only?? - Marc
About 15 years ago I used to buy cheap Elf mineral oil from an Elf petrol station.

As has been suggested try a Total petrol station. Elf are part of TFE (Total Fina Elf)