Glass Palaces - retgwte
Popped into a dealer today asking if I could book the car in for the tracking to be checked, as one of the front tyres is wearing unevenly, they said "oh the tracking machine has been out of action for six months" went to check and came back and said "oh yea we dont do that, we suggest halfords across the road"

now look i was prepared to pay their inflated prices, was going to be happy waiting days for an appointment, and have spent significant sums at their partner sites on new cars and servicing, and they do sell tyres (probably driven straight down to kwik fit anyways)

I know its only a small service, but for me it sums it all up, I naturally wont be buying either of our next cars there, and i dont know why its wound me up so much, but the false sincerity when they cannot even be bothered to sort out this simplest of tasks has got to me

Glass Palaces - J Bonington Jagworth
Quite agree - time you took your custom elsewhere. And write to their MD telling him as much.
Glass Palaces - 659FBE
But until their "business" collapses around their ears, they won't give a damn.

Something is adrift with the retailing of cars in that it seems no longer possible to have a vehicle serviced by a franchised dealer in accordance with the maker's requirements, at a fair cost.

This situation ought not to continue unchecked - if customers have an ounce of common sense.

Glass Palaces - retgwte
best honest place to get the tracking done in essex?
Glass Palaces - PhilDews
I have been pleasantly surprised by how cheap main dealers {Now spelt correctly - DD} will reduce their prices when asked - eg:-

Hyundai Terracan interim service - £140 at a Hyundai dealer
Honda Civic CDTI - 10K service - £180inc VAT at a Honda dealer, £180 VAT at local independent.
Vauxhall Vectra 150 CDTI - £130 at a Vauxhall dealer, £120 at an independent.

Its bringing back the bartering habit!
Glass Palaces - Bill Payer
I ran Peugeot company cars for years and the local dealer could never balance the wheels as Puegeot wheels don't have a centre hole so their balancer therefore couldn't do them.
Glass Palaces - jbif
" best honest place to get the tracking done "

Honestjohn has dedicated a FAQ to this question. See column on the left.

Glass Palaces - DP
it seems no longer possible
to have a vehicle serviced by a franchised dealer in accordance with the maker's requirements
at a fair cost.

I had a "major" (36k) done on the Scenic for £260 all in by a franchised dealer and a fine job they made of it too. They even greased the door hinges and I deliberately let one rear tyre down by 2 psi before taking it in and this was even picked up and corrected.

Full checklist left in the car, with the tech's name, and the service manager's card handed over without quibbling when I picked the car up.

They will be getting the business for the next one.

Although I am still waiting for a part for the sunroof!!

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Glass Palaces - Number_Cruncher
>>They even greased the door hinges and I deliberately let one rear tyre down by 2 psi before taking it in and this was even picked up and corrected.

That's exactly what I would expect - lubrication of hinges and checking tyre pressures are part and parcel of a normal service.

Number_Cruncher
Glass Palaces - Vansboy
They will be getting the business for the next one.
Although I am still waiting for a part for the sunroof!!

They did also provide you a courtesy umbrella, 'till that big piece f glass arrives, I hope!

When Mrs V took her Mx5 into Mazda main dealer, was surprised to see the tiny bottle of Autoglym screenwash in the footwell, upon collection.

Check the invoice, charged £3.50+VaT!!

Pointed out the screenwash reservoir was full, when it went in - result, item deleted from invoice & Auto Glym bottle returned!!

Now, if that'd been me behind the counter, the item wouldn't have been mistakenly charged & the sample bottle, would have been given free of charge!!

VB
Glass Palaces - Roger Jones
There was something in the weekend press indicating that the EC are getting very interested in the servicing scene, wishing to protect the interests of the independents. So they can do some good, maybe.
Glass Palaces - aaflyer
The Fiat Dealer I take my Punto to get serviced clips in all the rear seatbelts - lapbelts and all. Novel or normal? What's the point?

Perhaps the technician likes bondage :)

AA
Glass Palaces - Bromptonaut
Re Clipping the seatbelts

Proves the belts have been checked. Happens in my car at MoT time.
Glass Palaces - Brian Tryzers
It's bringing back the bartering habit!

Only if you're paying for your service with eggs from your hens or tomatoes from your greenhouse! (Not a bad idea, actually - although I wonder what the VAT people would make of it.) 'Haggling' might be a better word. }:---)
Glass Palaces - Pugugly {P}
WdeB - you beat me to it. One of my (many) pet hates