98 Fitting new battery to corsa sets off alarm. - Dry bearings
Hi all, I have just removed the old battery from the daughters Corsa,and am trying to fit the new one.
As soon as I connect it the alarm goes off till I disconnect it again.
It's a 1998 (R) 1.4.I don't have a key fob to turn it off.
Would appreciate some advice please.
s
98 Fitting new battery to corsa sets off alarm. - Simon
Is it a standard fit alarm or an aftermarket one? I am guessing that it will be an aftermarket alarm and if you haven't got the fob for it then the only thing to do is to disconnect the alarm permanently. This may require quite a bit of auto electrical work depending on how complex the alarm system is.
98 Fitting new battery to corsa sets off alarm. - cmx
I agree,it sounds like an after market one.if you didnt have problems before you replaced the battery, then is it possible you could just let the alarm go off and it will just reset itself?
Simon I wouldn't know about origin of alarm system,belongs to daughter who is abroad,plus i don't fancy messing with electrics,too long
in the tooth for that.
cmx,I think I will take your advice,replace battery and let the alarm run it' sequence and re-set itself.I'll do it later today,there are
some night-shift workers sleeping at present.
Thank you both for your interest.
98 Fitting new battery to corsa sets off alarm. - Dynamic Dave
Can't be a factory fit one, otherwise it would have also gone off when the battery was disconnected. The factory fit ones have a backup battery and you need to first turn on / off the ignition and then disconnect the main car battery within 15 seconds.
I fitted the battery and let the alarm run it's course.I put the key in the ignition,everything lit up on the dash,however although
the engine was turning over normally to start,and the horn was no longer active,the siren cut in and the car refused to start.
I only have the spare key,not the fobbed one,so I had to abandon it once more.
I would guess that whilst your daugther has had the car the alarm has been in its de-activated state. Where as now you have disconnected its power supply and then powered everything back up it has started off in its activated state. Ie it has failed safe so you cannot potentially steal the car.

So you have a choice of things to do. The obvious one is to locate the fob that will deactivate the alarm but I realise that this may not be a practical suggestion. The other thing to do is to disconnect the alarm system totally but I think you will find that it has an immobilising circuit wired into it, so even if you pull the plug on the alarm system the car is unlikely to start without further wiring jiggery-pokery.

From what you have said about the car turning over but not firing then my first port of call would be to check whether the fuel pump (if it has one) is priming. It is likely that whilst the alarm is immobilsing the car something such as the electrical feed to the fuel pump is cut.
98 Fitting new battery to corsa sets off alarm. - normd2
when re-connecting the battery on the Rover 214 the alarm goes off too - all you do then is lock and unlock the drivers door and the alarm stops, no need for the fob. Maybe yours will work in the same way?
normd2,I just tried that,same result i'm afraid.The daughter is emailing previous owner,whom she knows, for some advice.Thanks anyway.
98 Fitting new battery to corsa sets off alarm. - bell boy
quite a few corsas on this year had thatcham approved immobilisors fitted and to remove them you need to remove the glovebox, find the box of tricks, trace all the wires where they go into the loom and cut and shut them, resolder and then tape up securly (if you understand).
It will normally take me an hour to do a corsa from start to finish,you can leave the siren under the bonnet but obviously you need to cut off all the wires
going back to the interior you will also find a wire to the ignition that will need sorting too

Obviously im assuming it is stopping the car running as you say,
if not and its a sounder alarm only then removal of the fuses by the alarm box usually does the trick (a sock in the sounder helps your lugs while carrying this out)
bellboy,If you are passing through the E.Riding anytime and have an hour to spare.then your the man.Good advice,but I'm not a septuagenarian for nothing,I don't fancy 'tinkering' around to be honest.
98 Fitting new battery to corsa sets off alarm. - bell boy
thanks for the offer but i see enuf motas without knocking on peoples doors with my smouldering iron ;-)
:0 Nuff said!
If you really don't want to tinker with it yourself and you can't get the car running then the easiest thing to do is to employ the services of a mobile auto electrician. They will soon have the alarm system disabled and the car running as it should. I really don't think that you will do any good with finding the fob. If the fobs were operational then it is unlikely that they would have got seperated from the car.
I have to agree with your logic Simon.I will contact my daughter who is back-packing in NZ.at the moment.I just wanted to keep it
'Fit for purpose' for her return in January.It's in the 'banger' class as far as I am concerned,and I am loathe to spend anybody's
money on it.
I can do without the hassle TBH.