Mid life crisis. - Imagos
Well the Ford Focus is having a nip and tuck..

www.forddesktops.com/default.asp

Plenty of pics here. Seems the Fuel and Temperature gauge are upside down though..
s
Mid life crisis. - Altea Ego
Pictures in autoexpress as well. When was the focus 2 released? it only seems like yesterday and it has a facelift allready

Also in autoexpress pictures of the Laguna Coupe
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Mid life crisis. - mfarrow
Pictures in autoexpress as well. When was the focus 2 released?

January 2005 IIRC, so about the right time for some tweaking.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Mid life crisis. - Pendlebury
I think it looks good - they announced all this at Franfurt didn't they and clearly copying some kinetic styling from the new Mondeo which everybody seems to rave about.
Good move by Ford.
Mid life crisis. - cheddar
Follows the C-Max facelift which looks good IMO.
>> Pictures in autoexpress as well. When was the focus 2 released?
January 2005 IIRC so about the right time for some tweaking.

Noo Far from it. Its a year to 18 months too early. Car makers are on a 7 / 8 year *new* model cycle. The mid life kicker facelift come at about the 3.5 years mark.

This one is seriously early, I wonder why?
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Mid life crisis. - Mike H
Still needs a good whack with the beauty stick - never driven one, but just the looks put me off.
Mid life crisis. - jase1
Still needs a good whack with the beauty stick - never driven one but just
the looks put me off.

That can't be possible. The Focus is the all-conquering nothing-beats-it-in-any-area perfect car according to folk on here, isn't it?
Mid life crisis. - rtj70
"That can't be possible. The Focus is the all-conquering nothing-beats-it-in-any-area perfect car according to folk on here, isn't it? "

Isn't that the Mondeo. I'll get my coat... and a Mazda 6 in 3-5 weeks. 3 weeks if I want it ASAP or hold out until back of the holiday in October :-)
Mid life crisis. - GregSwain
The Focus is the all-conquering nothing-beats-it-in-any-area perfect car according to folk
on here isn't it?

Yes, much more so than these dull far-Eastern creations. Only problem is the Focus mk2 is even more dull. ;-)
>> The Focus is the all-conquering nothing-beats-it-in-any-area perfect car according to folk
>> on here isn't it?

Yes and you should go down on bended knee and raise a prayer to the gods that somone made such a sweet handling, sharp looking, cracker of a car for the hoy poloy like you. The Focus Mk1 is a special car

errrrrrr

The focus Mk2 isnt. not even close.

< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Mid life crisis. - cheddar
>>
The focus Mk2 isnt. not even close.

Except that it drives even better than the Mk 1, only the Golf runs it close currently in dynamics.
the one i had didnt.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Mid life crisis. - whoopwhoop
the one i had didnt.

Trust you to have driven the only one that was a duffer then TV man.

Whilst the Mk2 is nowhere near as cutting edge visually, pretty much everyone worth listening to (i.e. not you ;-) agrees that it's handling and dynamics are class leading.
You got lumbered with one then whoop? I can see why you are bitter and twisted.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
You got lumbered with one then whoop? I can see why you are bitter and
twisted.

Not at all bitter and twisted Tran-man - just can't be doing with all the ill informed (and usually incorrect) bilge that you frequently come out with!
Trust you to have driven the only one that was a duffer then TV man.

Like you and a Honda you've been waffling about in other threads then. Why is it that the original Focus lasted 6 or 7 years almost unchanged, this one's only been around for 2 years and they're already tarting it up? ;-)
Like you and a Honda you've been waffling about in other threads then.

Not really the same at all. Most (INCLUDING ME) agree that looks-wise the Mk2 was a huge step backwards over the Mk1. Nobody (including me) is saying that the Focus is perfect. However anyone that knows about cars agrees that the Mk2 has pretty good handling and dynamics. It's the one thing which it does well. Oh, apart from "Mr Opinion On Everything" as per usual!

Why is
it that the original Focus lasted 6 or 7 years almost unchanged this one's only
been around for 2 years and they're already tarting it up? ;-)

***IT DIDN'T!!!*** It was restyled 3 years into it's life with new lights, bumpers, interior changes, grill, etc. Just as the Mk2 is being restyled. No difference.

***IT DIDN'T!!!*** It was restyled 3 years into it's life with new lights bumpers interior
changes grill etc. Just as the Mk2 is being restyled. No difference.

Hence the word "almost". It was still instantly recognisable as a Mk1 Ford Focus - the changes were minimal. For example moving the front indicators into the headlight units. Purely cosmetic.
Hence the word "almost". It was still instantly recognisable as a Mk1 Ford Focus -
the changes were minimal. For example moving the front indicators into the headlight units. Purely
cosmetic.

No difference this time. It's a minor restyle. It will still be the same shape, except with a crease on the doors and different lights. It is still instantly recognisable as a Mk2 Focus.
Mid life crisis. - rtj70
The changes for the MK1 focus were also to do with lowering insurance groups. Moving indicators into the headlight unit reduced repair costs and thus lowered insurance.

As for the restyle... I thought something was coming. Cars on the Lease company site were like £270pm for a top spec car and a few weeks later jumped £60pm, i.e. £330 pm. So clearout of the old models then. Then again I'm getting a new old Mazda6 next month with similar savings.

Disappointed about the Focus restyle. Had seen pictures in magazines of what I thought was the facelift and it was a lot better. maybe that will be the true MK3 Focus?

But this: www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/209134/...l

became: www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/210350/...l

Did someone cut the budget I wonder ;-)
Mid life crisis. - ForumNeedsModerating
Still needs a good whack with the beauty stick

I'd like to cop some of that, my laughter lines & friar Tuck tonsure are giving me more character than I can currently use.
Mid life crisis. - L'escargot
Still needs a good whack with the beauty stick - never driven one but just
the looks put me off.

The looks of a car never concern me. I'm concerned about price, specification, performance, durability, servicing cost, insurance cost, cost and availability of spares, and the dealership network. I buy a car to drive, not to be able admire it's looks.
--
L\'escargot.
Mid life crisis. - Pugugly {P}
Ah a potential Bangle BMW customer ! :-)
Mid life crisis. - jase1
Given what has been said on these forums about the value for money aspect of the Focus, and the complete disregard for the argument stating that the reason they are cheap is that the model is no longer new, it'll be interesting to see what, if any deals are available on the new model from day one.

That way a more fair comparison with the like of the Kia Cee'd may be possible.

I suspect that the discounts will be more modest.
Mid life crisis. - Mike H
The looks of a car never concern me. I'm concerned about price specification performance durability
servicing cost insurance cost cost and availability of spares and the dealership network. I buy
a car to drive not to be able admire it's looks.

Sounds a bit like choosing a woman - she may have many sterling qualities but to to entice you the first time you need something to draw you in....

...but on a serious note, I agree to a certain extent. The real issue for me was the lack of rear legroom, and the claustrophobic rear passenger space - I did get as far as sitting in one at the first motorshow after it was first introduced. And is character not important?

So can I assume that you always make a head decision when buying a car and ignore the heart? ;-)
Mid life crisis. - DP
I drove my first mk2 Focus at the weekend (a 1.8 Zetec) and although it handled well, I didn't think it was as communicative as the mk1. Chief culprit being the steering which seems to have gone all Volkswagen. Nice and light, but where's all the feel gone?! The "chatter" the mk1 sent through the rim as the road surface and camber changed has been completely dialled out.

Yes it's a much more refined car than the mk1 with a far nicer interior, better seats and welcome attention to NVH, but I didn't think it was as much of a drivers car. Very good, and a big improvement in many areas, but the feel was what made the mk1 special to my mind, and it's gone.

I guess I'll just have to live with having a different view to the experts. Should just about be able to sleep at night ;-)

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Mid life crisis. - Avant
" Chief culprit being the steering which seems to have gone all Volkswagen."

In that case VW have gone all Ford, as the Mark V Golf steering is far more direct than the Mark IV. It's not far off SWMBO's Mini.
Mid life crisis. - underachivas
Can't understand the comments that the Mk2 Focus is ugly it may not be ground breaking as the Mk1 when that first came out but it's certainly no 'minger'.

I have a mk2 Zetec 2.0 TDCI and previously owned a Mk1 1.8 TDCI LX and it certainly beats the MK1 on the driving experience and personally I prefer the looks of the new focus think it looks more classy definately the interior is a step up !.
Mid life crisis. - jase1
Of course it's no minger. In fact, while it's not groundbreaking, I found some of the lines on the original a little awkward, and these have been fixed on the MkII.

The newer Focus is understated. It certainly isn't ugly.
Mid life crisis. - jan77
Although I find the Mk2 Focus styling pretty bland, its the rear end styling of the hatches I've always thought of as a bit of a disaster. I'm surprised with the exception of the minor mods to the rear lights this hasn't been significantly altered by the facelift. I've always thought that when the wagon is better looking than the equivalent sedan/hatch its a sign something's not quite right with the design: jag x-type comes to mind.