5 cyl hydraulic tappets - Richard Hall
Does anyone know a foolproof way of identifying faulty hydraulic tappets on 5 cylinder Audi engines? My Coupe has had a 'lazy' tappet for some time now - it can take a couple of minutes to quieten down after a cold start. I'm planning to lift the cam cover some time soon to check the timing chain (it's the twin cam 20 valve engine). I don't fancy the expense of changing all 20 tappets just to get rid of the faulty one - any suggestions?
Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 31/12/2007 at 00:23

Audi hydraulic tappets - El Dingo
Richard,

May I suggest the 'big screwdriver' method. Stick the round end in your ear, then probe up and down the cylinder head with the pointy end.

This method will get you in the right area, at least to the pair of valves with the worn tappet.

If there is really only one tappet gone, it will be (relatively) easy to find.

Good luck.

El Dingo (Martin).
Audi hydraulic tappets - Richard Turpin
The Audi users manual which came with my Audi 100 said that noisy tappets were normal and provided they became quiet when hot, no repair work was required. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Audi hydraulic tappets - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Worth a try of an engine flush followed by fresh oil of the correct grade and a dose of Forte Top End Treatment. This is relitavely new product but worked well on a 10valve Audi 100 recently.