Unloved Astras? - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
There seem to be strong opinions on various manufacturers in the BR, but not many about VX, and especially the Astra. They seem to sell well, but don't get much of a mention here. In fact the thread asking about bangernomic Vectras is one of the few recently mentioning them.

Is it that the current cars are bland and average in comparison to the Ford, VW, etc. equivalents?

There's a baby on the way, so I'm considering a small diesel estate, so.. are Astras any good ?

Simon
Unloved Astras? - MichaelR
A Vauxhall Astra is simply 4 metres of car. Thats it. Devoid of anything noteworthy at all with the possible exception of the newest model. Not well built but not badly built. Not reliable but not unreliable. Just... some car.
Unloved Astras? - barchettaman
We got a V-reg Astra G estate when our first baby was on the way 2 1/2 years ago (and sold the barchetta).
It´s a petrol 1.8 16v CDX, it had 83000 miles at purchase and cost 2.4k.
It´s now up to 103k.
Problems? A tendancy to want to stall under deceleration, diagnosed by Aprilia - apparently a well-know fault, an cheaply fixed by our local garage for 100 quid. It failed to want to start on one occasion too, almost as if the fuel pipe was blocked, but got going eventually, and the problem hasn´t resurfaced.
Some find the seats uncomfortable.
Apart from that it´s been great. Plenty of room for the baby junk - we´ve another one on the way too (oops). If more room is required (rare) we have a roof box.
It sits on the Autobahnen happily at highly illegal UK speeds. Front end goes a bit light as you approach 200kmh, but I can live with that.
Following other advice on this site it gets an intermediate oil and filter change every 4-5k, and the annual service comes around 8k. So it´s slightly ´overserviced´ and mybe as a consequence runs very well.
We average 42 on a fastish run, low 30s on shorter runs.

I had the new model estate (the ´H´) on hire in Portugal last year and was pretty underwhelmed by the 1.3 CDTi engine. Space all round seemed pretty comparable to our old-shaper. I imagine the 150 BHP 1.9 CDti engine would go well in the current Astra though.

I´ve also driven the previous-shape Focus estate, which felt a wee bit sharper round the corners.

Second hand prices obviously seem to reflect the fact that the Astra isn´t as well regarded as the Focus or Golf estates, but TBH there probably isn´t alot in it.
Unloved Astras? - rtj70
"Vauxhall Astra is simply 4 metres of car. Thats it. Devoid of anything noteworthy at all with the possible exception of the newest model"

No comment on your opinion of an okay car - you are lucky to afford a BMW.

But seriously, you might be able to help us with insurance (MichaelR).... looking to insure youngest on something cheap (possibly wife's car). Who do you use as a student as that is what the youngest is. Ta.
Unloved Astras? - FotheringtonThomas
They get a reasonable write-up in HJ's car-by-car breakdown. I've pootled about in a Y-reg 1.7 diesel, it seems quite OK. Don't be blinkered by badge/model snobbery.
Unloved Astras? - jase1
They're OK. As another poster pointed out, the true definition of bland -- absolutely nothing of note to stand them out from the crowd -- but that doesn't make them bad cars.

The engines are reasonably strong (not the best but not the worst) and the transmissions appear bulletproof -- a particular strong point with these, although some of the newer ones seem to have clutch issues. Electronics can give the occasional trouble. I have an Astra-based Daewoo and it is reliable enough as well.

I don't find them comfortable unfortunately -- I get back and leg ache after driving them for a long distance (this is the older Mk4 Astra, don't know about the latest one). Other than that, quite acceptable, and not too expensive.

Putting the comfort issue to one side, would I buy one? Yeah, why not, if the price was right.
Unloved Astras? - cheddar
The 98 on Astra was not great looking (estate ugly) though had a great chassis only bettered by the Focus and fine petrol engines (more refined than the Focus) though poor diesels. A 1.8 or 2.2 petrol was quite fun to drive. The latest Astra is better looking though does not really stand out in any area.
Unloved Astras? - DP
A friend has an S registration 1.7 diesel. Bought it two years ago for £450. His entire maintenance cost for two years and 35,000 miles has been a pair of cheap tyres, a set of front brake pads, and two MOT test fees. He's never serviced it, never washed it, and couldn't care less about it. It's 100% reliable transport though.

He's a little more careful with, and passionate about his 2006 GSX-R1000.....

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Unloved Astras? - Avant
The Astra always seems to come in between the Focus and the Golf when comparatively tested: the Ford is better to drive and the VW feels better built (opinions vary on this) and holds its value better (they don't vary on that).

The Astra usually comes second to one or other of them and mainly sells to people who don't have a choice of car. That's not to say it's bad - just not distinguished enough and not everyone's first choice. As Simon says, it's unloved.

It'll be interesting to see if the new Corsa fares better after being What Car's car of the year.
Unloved Astras? - Pugugly {P}
MrsP had two Astras, one was a MK2 GTE 8v. - Mad bonkers but lovable (the car that is) well made in Germany and drove like a new one when it went with 50k on the clock, it was a good car that felt special despite being an 'umble Astra. The other was a MK3 2.0 sports, nowhere near the quality of the Mk2, wasn't sorry to see it go.
Unloved Astras? - Bilboman
Very happy with my 2004 model end-of-line 2.0 DTi estate - Spanish market, I should add. It came loaded with goodies (ETC, auto wipers, self-dipping mirror, alloys, metallic paint, radio-CD,) plus standard Astra fare (deadlocking, efw, pas, ABS) and I chose it over a less well-equipped Focus 1.8 TDDi (CDTi not then available, nor was Mégane 1.9 estate, a favourite reps' car in Spain.) Much, much better all round than previous 1.7 DTi.
No lumbar control but very comfortable seats and controls (350 kms today and arrived home feeling fine). Earlier 2.0 diesel oil-gobbling problem sorted out by 2004. Steering, gearchange very smooth after 100,000 kms. No complaints about (Lotus-tuned!) suspension. Absolutely no problems at service times. (No MoT until year 4 in Spain.) A dribbly rear screenwash is the only thing I can really complain about!
45 - 50 mpg or however it's measured now.
A great car but just a bit, well,... dull. May have to have a Focus next year. Thoughts on Focus v Astra, anyone?
Unloved Astras? - Round The Bend
I was a VX man throughout the eighties with various Cavaliers and Astras. In late 1991 I was finally allowed a company car. I went out and chose a new Astra Mk III which turned out to be the worst car I've owned/run. Countless problems over the 70k that I drove it from day 1. Never been back to VX since.

All that having been said, I think the current 3 door Astra is a good looker in the right trim and the current Corsa looks very good.
Unloved Astras? - DP
MrsP had two Astras one was a MK2 GTE 8v. - Mad bonkers but lovable
(the car that is) well made in Germany and drove like a new one when
it went with 50k on the clock it was a good car that felt special
despite being an 'umble Astra.

I always loved the GTE. I think partly due to timing (it was at the top of its game when I was 17 and lusted after such things), and partly due to the fact that every single one Ive been in or driven since has made me grin like an idiot. I still think they look fantastic on the rare occasion you see a tidy unmolested one, and it's also one of the few cars that looks fantastic in white. The LCD dash, the "rainbow" trim, those turbine alloys - like them or loathe them, they defined the car.

But it was the engines that did it. Both 8 valve and 16 valve were absolute peaches. The former was sweet and torquey, the latter gave performance figures that only the latest 200+ bhp turbo hot hatches can eclipse, and even then by only a few tenths. What Car tested it to 60 in 6.9 and faster in all the in gear increments than a V12 XJS! Sounded good as well!

So what if it handled like a broken shopping trolley and tended to go walkies every time you parked it anywhere? It looked fantastic, went fast and had a cool interior. What more does a teenage petrolhead need?

Good times!

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Unloved Astras? - mare
A friend of mine bought a 53 reg 1.6 Astra from a local bombsite dealer. Ex mobility car, and being February, really cheap. £4,000 and low insurance group, 4 i think

She had two issues, one was something to do with the brakes, Vauxhall dealer dealt with that one as a recall, and the engine developed a habit of cutting out. That was sorted for £100, with the vendor contributing 50%.

As a cheap box on wheels, pretty good. Ugly car though. Not too bad in silver. But try and find a three year old Golf for £4,000.
Unloved Astras? - Number_Cruncher
>>But try and find a three year old Golf for £4,000.

Well, I think that's a very good point.

If you can look past the hype, there's very little difference between the spec and layout of a Golf and an Astra - I don't beleive there's any serious difference in terms of reliabilty either (again, you need to look beyond the hype to see this).

Both have reasonable quality electrics, made by a similar gaggle of electrical/electronic suppliers - the connectors and multi-plugs which are a major cause of electrical problems are remarkably similar. Both have strut front suspension, and have had torsion beam rear suspensions. Both have had predominantly cam belt driven OHC engines which if you were a teacher in a design school you might suspect some copying had been going on! Engines and gearboxes don't break in sufficient numbers on either car to say that either is better/worse than the other. With the latest mkIV and mkV Astras, Vauxhall have begun to do some "sound quality engineering", that makes the door shut noise sound similar, and the tactile spec of the dash materials is improving.

I think it's great that the motoring press continure to laud VW - it means that virtually the same car is available for far less money for those who aren't too bothered about the badge.

Our Astra was 7K - it was less than 6 months old at the time, with less than 10K on the clock - again, you won't find a Golf for that money.

At least some of this is due to the confused marketing ploy of Vauxhall - why don't they say they are Opels, and make more play of their German design heritage?

Number_Cruncher
Unloved Astras? - barchettaman
.....why don't they say they are Opels, and make more play of their German design heritage?

Exactly. Mine has returned ´home´, in the sense that it was built in Rüsselsheim, just down the road.
I can´t understand why the UK market doesn´t get Opels. Particularly when you think that Hyundai/Kia are badge-engineering what are basically the same models with some success, and VAG have done well out of marketing Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda to different markets - although the differences there are obviously more pronounced.
Unloved Astras? - madf
"why don't they say they are Opels, and make more play of their German design heritage"

Opel are virtually unknown as a UK brand. (I recall the Kadett and the coupe ..)

Whereas in the UK they are known for fine styling, fine engineering, high build quality and resistance to rsut:-)

I agree and the 16V engines being great.. I had a hire GTE and drove around with a permanent smile... BUT
the body had incipient rust and the trim squeaked.

madf
Unloved Astras? - frazerjp
Talking about the VX, did it suffer from torque steer when accelerating when Jeremy Clarkson took it round the track?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Unloved Astras? - PeterRed
With regard to the Vauxhall vs VW point, I have to agree. My experience with my Passat was miserable (though it's been OK for the last 18 months or so) whereas I've got nothing but praise for my wife's Zafira. It's a Mk 1 so not particularly attractive inside but it's far nicer to drive than the Passat. It rattles less too. I agree on the point about connectors and wiring. It all looks good to me.
Unloved Astras? - stuartl
After owning I would guess about ten Vauxhall cars and vans over the years we bought an X reg 2 owner Astra G Isuzu engined Diesel last year and what a huge mistake that was.

Cut a long story short, engine sprang a huge oil leak, I diagnosed as camshaft oil seal which was replaced but cams had worn to excess and were moving about in their 'shells' causing the leak to re-occur.

Ok, I thought, get a new top end. Forget it, rarer than rocking horse poo.

Replacement engine? Join the queue of other Isuzu engined Astras wanting one too.

I ended up selling the car in otherwise mint condition for just £650 for spares or repair, losing £2000 in three months. All the reviews said the Isuzu engine was better but I wouldnt have one again as a gift.

Shame because the car itself was ok, not exciting but a good sized family car that ticked all the boxes but stole all our cash and left us broke with no car : o (
Unloved Astras? - Vansboy
Depending on your budget, you'd find better value for £$£$ on a 1.6 Club. The 8valve engine is simple & easy to sort, if you do have problems, although you won't.

No need to pay the extra for diesel fuel savings, as thew petrol will be approaching late 30'smpg & perform with enough 'go', for the job you want it to do.

The earlier mentioned back problems, I totally agree & had a LOT of pain, when I ran one around, for a week!

It's only the sportier trim levels which have a different seat design, so do try it first. But if it isn't uncomfortable for you, you could buy a lot worser car for the £$£

VB
Unloved Astras? - Westpig
opaque indicators on the newer ones means you can't see the indicators working very well....and the infuriating indicator system which cancels itself too quickly and/or has you driving down the next straight bit indicating left, then right etc, desperately trying to get it in the middle and cancelled........then there's the excessively cheap looking seats with the fake stitching

the older 2.0 diesels were quite nippy..the newer 1.7 diesels are not.

would rather have the Ford
Unloved Astras? - Bilboman
The UK market seems doomed to retain the Vauxhall badge, along with square-pin plugs, bayonet fitting lightbulbs and the infuriating mix of metric and imperial measures: Miles per litre, anyone? 3 degrees (C) above freezing if it's cold, but upper 70s (F) if it's "hot" ... Etc., etc.
I suspect it's all designed to stop British-market Astras being exported to Ireland and vice versa, although I'd be interested to know if it's possible to "re-baptise" a Vauxhall as an Opel. Badges can be swapped easily enough....
Unloved Astras? - Happy Blue!
Friends have a VX Zafira with an Opel badge on the steering wheel!
Unloved Astras? - DP
The supermarkets selling pre-registered Euro imports don't change the Opel badging. I guess it's far more work than it's worth.

I see quite a few UK registered RHD Opels about. Mostly Zafiras and Merivas for some reason.

Cheers
DP

--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Unloved Astras? - oldpostie
Looking over my Vectra, I can't see the word "Vauxhall" anywhere. It was on the back of the Astra though.
Unloved Astras? - Victorbox
Astras are certainly loved in Ellesmere Port. Let's not forget that Vauxhall still mass produce cars in the UK for home consumption & export. The second link confirms they will be doing so for some years to come.

www.carpages.co.uk/vauxhall/vauxhall-astra-24-10-0...p

www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=6350
Unloved Astras? - Vansboy
Astras are certainly loved in Ellesmere Port. Let's not forget that Vauxhall still mass produce
cars in the UK for home consumption & export.

There are still a good number of late plate, Vauxhalls here in Luton too.

Not surprising, with the deals that are offered to participants of 'The Scheme'.

It entitles any former employee, or relative of, a GM company, the chance to lease virtually any model in their range - at bargain prices.

Spoke to a guy just picking up his new Zafira SXi, his 3rd one, changed every 9months, at cost of £230ish/month all in!!

Think I'm the only person in Luton that doesn't qualify!!

VB