Mondeo IV (2007 -) diesel or petrol - Steve33
I am toying with the idea of a new mondeo, having run a 1.8 TDCI Focus for 3.5 years.

Having had a number of engine issues with my current diesel Focus, namely DMF, starter motor, injectors and auxillary belt tensioner I am wondering whether another diesel is a good idea or not, particularly when the last time I was at the Ford dealership the Service Manager said "great engines these TDCI's as long as they are in warranty, after that get rid of it"!

I would probably look to keep the car for 5 years and do upto 15k a year.

Petrol wise it would probably be the 2.5 turbo. Diesel wise either the current 140bhp TDCI or maybe wait for the PSA twin turbo.

I know I can't escape the DMF as both petrol and diesel have it. But do the Euro IV diesels have EOLYS or something similar to replace in my potential 5 years of ownership?

Any views or opinions on the old petrol v diesel debate?

If you look at it with an economical head on, the potential 4 grand saving in fuel over 5 years says it all!
Mondeo IV (2007 -) diesel or petrol - cheddar
If you look at it with an economical head on the potential 4 grand saving
in fuel over 5 years says it all!

I agree, I have done 120k over 5 years in my TDCi and have saved a fortune in fuel.

Re EOLYS or whatever it is called, I am not quite sure, I think EuroIV Focus II's with the Ford/PSA 1.6 and 2.0 engines use it as per the Peu / Cit equivilents however IIRC the S-Max, Galaxy II and Mondeo IV EuroIV use a catalyst based system as per the EuroIV Mondeo IIIs. It has been said that Ford may use a single turbo variable vane version of the 2.2, though same power and torque as the twin turbo, because it lends itself better to a catalyst particulate system and a 175bhp single turbo variable vane version of the 2.2 was listed in the engine launch specs.

Though could be wrong.
Mondeo IV (2007 -) diesel or petrol - Dynamic Dave
bumps question up as moved from Tech matters to this side - author informed by email as to move - DD
Mondeo IV (2007 -) diesel or petrol - rtj70
If you're comparing fuel between a 140PS diesel and a 220PS petrol turbo... the difference might be even greater. Especially the temptation to make use of the 2.5l 5 cylinder turbo!
Mondeo IV (2007 -) diesel or petrol - Avant
From the road tests I've read, the 2.5 petrol is great fun to drive but very thirsty, whereas one of the few criticisms of the 2.0 TDCI is that it isn't very fast. That's a lot of car for 140 bhp.

There is I believe a 2.2 TDCI engine on the way, but I'm not sure when. Someone will be along and tell us with any luck. That may be the 'PSA twin-turbo' that Steve mentions - sounds worth waiting for.