99 1.8 petrol.Tinny rattle from under car... - mstar
hi guys i am confused with my car, there seems to be a slight tinny rattle sound comeing from under the car (i suspect the excaust?) i think it might be this silver thing under the car looks like a heat shield thing, has anyone got any ideas or experienced a similar problem?

my car is a 1999 focus 1.8 zetec 4dr manual
s
Tin rattle from car... - mstar
sorry i meant when i accelerate to significant revs u can hear it
Tin rattle from car... - Screwloose
mstar

It could be the tin heat-shield on the cat coming loose. The cat itself can break-up and rattle, but that tends to be more of a light knocking as the lumps of "brick" shake around.
is that a major worry? should i stop driving it until i get it screwed back on?
mstar

Not normally a serious problem; but still worth getting checked out ASAP.
does it effect anything mechanically on the car (acceleration/fuel consumption etc etc)? i need to drive to london (3hrs each way) tommorow, i was wondering if i could delay it until next week
mstar

It's still not established exactly what this rattle is; so that's a difficult question to answer with any useful degree of certainty.

Why not nip down to a local garage or exhaust centre and get them to take a quick look.
99 1.8 petrol.Tinny rattle from under car... - milkyjoe
ive had a similar prob on a daewoo its a slight tinny rattle at just over idle speed , that was 3k ago and it hasnt got any worse enjoy your trip to london
99 1.8 petrol.Tinny rattle from under car... - Snakey
My 99 Focus 1.8 did this and it was the exhaust shield. I tied it back on using cable ties and it lasted for around another 6 months at which point I simply removed the shield.

Ran for 2 years without the shield with no problems - I guess they're there for extreme circumstances (i.e parking on very dry grass etc)
99 1.8 petrol.Tinny rattle from under car... - GregSwain
Almera's been doing this for a few months. I've just ignored it, and when I had a new exhaust fitted recently nobody commented on anything being loose. Is at about 1500 revs, right where it's most annoying.
99 1.8 petrol.Tinny rattle from under car... - mstar
yes i think its the exchast shield its hanging off a little. Will this cost a lot to fix from a garage? (dnt say they will need to take the whole exchaust off and charge me an arm and leg)
99 1.8 petrol.Tinny rattle from under car... - Snakey
I guess a local friendly tyre and exhaust place might be able to rivet/clamp/tie the shield back on for you at a nominal cost? The shield itself tends to break apart around the original mounting points but you can easily punch through the shield to make a new hole.

I parked on a kerb and lay under the car to do mine - took 5 minutes and a piece of carpet to lie on!