'97 1.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - Headstar
Hi

We bought this car yesterday and we were under the impression that it had power steering but it doesn't appear to. On driving it feels like it does, but on parking and manoeuvring it's really heavy

The ad said it had power steering and we've had a look under the bonnet and can't see any obvious reservoir - should this model have it?

Many thanks
Problem inserted into subject line - PU
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - pmh
I think it depends on model.

I have
a 96 LX no PS and 155 tyres ( specified front inflation of 35psi) about 100k on clock
and
a 97 Flight with PS and 165 tyres ( specified front inflation of 30psi (I think)) about 60k on clock

Suggest you check tyre pressures, handbook and sizes.

I have always preferred driving the older one. It is quicker, more flexible, more economical and handles better!

New155 tyres are always under inflated when fitted by a garage!

A steering pump and reservoir are obvious under the bonnet.

--

pmh (was peter)

'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - Headstar
thanks, tyres are 155 and pressure checked on all

reckon the model I have is without PS
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - bell boy
ad sed power steering
take it back
lots of early mk4 had no power steering ive even seen y reg without it (endura) typical ford mean spec to companies,however as already said i think the mk4 with no power steering drives better than with, as they seem to have a pretty dead feeling to them no matter what the engine fitted.
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - GregSwain
Easy way to tell....when moving along slowly (in an empty carpark), put it in neutral, turn the key one step back (not completely off because that locks the wheel). If you can still steer it with the engine off, it's not got PAS. If the steering wheel seems to almost lock up, and you needs Popeye's arms to point it anywhere, it's got PAS! ;-)
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - madf
Power steering reservoir on alternator side of engine.
No reservoir = no power steering.
Ask for your money back or £100 discount... Lies.
madf
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - pmh
I should have added that without PS I do not find a problem, even at low speeds. However I have mechanical empathy and do not try to turn the wheels unless I am moving.

If you have been used to abusing the steering on a car with PS this is probably why you feel it is heavy!

If anybody can tell me how to transfer 'mechanical empathy' to SWMBO I would be grateful as I keep on shouting at her for abusing the Picasso.
--

pmh (was peter)

'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - bathtub tom
>>If anybody can tell me how to transfer 'mechanical empathy' to SWMBO I would be grateful

If anybody can tell me how to transfer 'mechanical empathy' to anyone who insists on twiddling the steering wheel whilst stationary (that's why youngest daughter wants power steering), I'll give 'em a kiss ;>)
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - madf
" I'll give 'em a kiss ;>)"

I know a 16 stone bearded and greasy mechanic ......:-))
madf
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - GregSwain
IMO anything smaller than a Focus doesn't need PAS - if people drove properly and didn't dry-steer the difference would barely be noticable. My last car didn't have it, and I never had any problems parking/manoeuvring.
'971.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - bathtub tom
>>I know a 16 stone bearded and greasy mechanic ......:-))

I think I just saw him in the mirror!
'97 1.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - DP
The ad said it had power steering and we've had a look under the bonnet
and can't see any obvious reservoir -

If fitted, the PAS reservoir is sort of egg shaped when viewed from above, and mounted on the drivers side inner wing. Start at the back of the drivers side headlight, and look directly back to the engine mounting bracket. If it's there you won't miss it.

www.telegraph.com/motor/ford/pictures/PV__engine_2...g

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
PS - the pic above is a later model (MkV), but the layout is the same.
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
thanks for all the replies

definitely not PAS then. tbh I'm not too fussed about it not having it, more annoyed about it being advertised as having it.

spoke to the garage this morning and explained and he basically said "you'll get used to it" to which I replied that it's not a problem, but it being misadvertised is and that I'd like some kind kind of recompense. He then started laughing and told me it was a bit too late now, but soon stopped when I mentioned Trading Standards

I've not been narky with him, just pointing out some facts, so hopefully will get something back - I love my little car and don't want to give it back
well we took the car to the garage today for a quick check over and it transpires that it needs a new universal joint and possibly a new steering rack.

any ideas of how much we'd be looking at for this to be done? we're really peeved off at the moment about this but we know that we have no comeback from the place we bought it from as it has a valid MOT

cheers
'97 1.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - GregSwain
we have no comeback from the place we bought it from as it has a valid MOT

I'm sure there's a way of appealing against an MOT pass, if it subsequently becomes apparent that the car shouldn't have passed, but this is only within a certain timeframe (30 days?) after the MOT test.
MOT expires in March '08
Well you can't appeal on an MOT pass from 6 months ago, so looks like you'll have to cough up. Personally I would leave the steering rack till the next MOT, although I obviously wouldn't advise anyone to do the same ;-)
well the guy has told me that he personally wouldn't drive it until it was sorted.... any idea of how much we're looking at roughly?
any idea of how much we're looking at roughly?

The rack's coming up at £56 on azcarparts.co.uk
hmmm okay so far..... is it a big job in that would we be having to pay shedloads for labour?
'97 1.25 Zetec engine - Power Steering or not ? - wicked_buffy
When did you buy this car? It has to be of "merchantable quality" which means no obvious faults. If it was from a garage then you do have a lot of comeback irrecpective of whether it has an MOT. I'd mention trading standards again if you can't get recompense. It's bad enough that you were sold a car without PAS.....
we only bought it a week past Saturday from a car sales place we found on Autotrader. I'm witing a letter tomorrow mentioning this new problem and also mentioning Trading Standards if no response from them within 7 days, but will be contacting TS tomorrow for advice anyway
Front subframe has to be dropped to change the rack, which means dropping the exhaust, and some dismantling of the front suspension.

Not an "end of the world" task, but I would guess at least 3 hours labour.

I would change the UJ first and see how it feels. This can often give similar symptoms to a worn rack, and is loads cheaper and easier to replace.

Cheers
DP

--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
cheers

He did say that he'd change the UJ first and see what difference it made and then failing that it would be a new rack

Hopefully it's the former!