Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - Flying Red
Mrs Red has had an MX-5 for the last two years, which has been a bit of an indulgence. She's done about 5,000 miles in that time and we have agreed that it doesn't make sense to have £10k tied up in a car that we don't really use very much.

The second car gets used for regular 14 mile round trips and the occasional 60 mile round trip. We thought we'd like a small-ish car for easier parking at the supermarket and making the most of small parking spaces. Air conditioning is a nice to have. Our idea is to save on depreciation and risk some repair costs. We would want a maximum fuel consumption of 30 mpg.

I started wading through the CBCB looking at small hatchbacks. Mrs Red finds them a bit dull and I noticed that Mondeo sized cars appear to be going for less money. We've thought about Daewoos, Protons, Kias and Hyundais but they all lack something in appeal for us.

We're wondering about options like old Golf GTis, BMW 3 series Subarus, Saabs and the like. We would want to avoid obvious money-pits. I would be interested to see your suggestions.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - CJay{P}
How about a previos generation MX-5.
Thanks, but not another MX-5 - been there, done that and got the t-shirt. I should have said that we need a four-seater runaround.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - Pugugly {P}
2001 51 Reg VAUXHALL Astra 1.8i 16v (trade)

* 97,000 miles
* Manual
* BLUE
* Petrol

2 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 97,000 miles, Blue. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head

Disposable invisible driving - cheaper than the equivalent Focus.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - bell boy
havent you sold that lemon yet pu?
never mind ;-(
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - Pugugly {P}
Good try eh ! - You're too good for me.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - flunky
2001 51 Reg VAUXHALL Astra 1.8i 16v (trade)
* 97 000 miles

seems expensive to me for a 6-year-old vauxhall with 100k, i guess you pay extra for a coupe, not sure why....
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - jase1
99-02 Primera.

Great balance of reliability, handling and reasonably-pricedness.

Mint condition 51-platers go for around £2000.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - Avant
Something small and nippy like a Toyota Yaris could fit the bill (make sure you go for the 1.3) or a Ford Fiesta or even a Ka - they are a hoot to drive. Or a Skoda Fabia - the 1.4 100bhp version goes very well.

I think at £2500 an old GTI or 3-series is too risky of being as you say a monry-pit.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - P E
Skoda Fabia 1.4 100BHp, got one of these (an estate) on a 03 plate for £2850 last November. I agree with Avant, the Fabia is just what you are looking for. Massive boot, very easy to drive and park, ac and front electric windows.
Thanks, that reminds me of a car I once considered - the Seat Cordoba. I think there was some badge engineering between Seat, VW and Skoda on this car. Lots of cheap ones on Autotrader too.
Thanks, I'm wary of the Ka because of reports of premature rusting. The Fiesta is a maybe (I like the idea of cheap parts). The Fabia appeals - it's outside the main stream of volume cars. I'll search Autotrader and see what's around
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - Mapmaker
I've written before, I think you're spending too much. Or too little.

In general, cars don't go wrong. Therefore the chance of a car going wrong is reasonably independent of its age or cost.

So if it's worth spending money on a car, spend 5k from a proper dealer, and buy a warranty just in case something goes wrong.

And if it's not, spend under 1k. Think of the savings on insurance (TPO). And as the car is essentially a disposable item, think of the fun you can have driving elderly prestige cars. If it's only doing 2,500 miles a year, the risk of failure is pretty low.

Sierra 4x4? Nissan QX (see several threads seems to be very popular amongst backroomers for its leather and 3 litre engine)?

You might end up doing 25mpg, but if you've saved £1500 on the cost of the car... and you're only doing 2,500 miles a year which after all is only five or six tanks of petrol.

Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - helicopter
You could probably find a 99 /2000 Civic with all the extras for that sort of money.

Legendary Honda reliability means less is likely to go wrong.

Try checking the Auto Trader site over to the left

<----------------
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - madf
If you want better than 30mpg - on average - forget BMWs and Subarus...
If you want reliability, forget GM cars/French cars/Kas.

So you would ideally be looking at a small Japanese/Korean Hatchback>Fiesta.

I can vouch for a Yaris.. a 1.3 goes well, 45mpg , easily parked and sliding boot so plenty of luggage space. And residuals stay good. Does not rust and you can find lots of well looked after ones with FSH and low miles under £3k. You would want a T3 or T Spirit for aircon

Or a Mark5 Fiesta 1.6 Ghia - 35mpg, goes well and cheap. reliable. Watch for rust under passenger side suill in middle under B post/under boot/rear wheel arches and under B post beside seat belt anchorage in floor. (A 1.25 is Ok but a 1.6 goes faster, fewer around , higher insurance)

madf
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - madf
I forgot to add: the 1.6 ghia has lowered suspension so harder on bumps... and quite low seating (but after MX5).. Yaris is higher seating and far less sporty drive.

After an MX5 a Yaris would feel stodgy to drive and is stodgy versus a Mark5 Fiesta 1.6 which feels like a gokart but with bootspace.. altho the rear seats do not fold well unlike a Yaris which is more practical for shopping.

(I have owned both - very reliable but Yaris far better built paint and door close wise)
madf
I'm happy to live with 30 mpg or there abouts, it will only make a few hundred quid difference over a year's motoring after all.

And thanks for the tips on the Fiesta - it's probably the sanest and safest choice. We do hanker after something that's a little outside the mainstream, the sort of car that was overlooked when new and was never really fashionable, yet is a decent proposition when its shed most of its value. That's why Subaru and Saab came to mind - substantial, well-engineered old things. I considered both as new buys when I had to drive a car that projected the "right" image.
Thanks, that's the kind of challenging post I need. I'm quite happy to spend less than £2500 - that's my upper limit. I just have this feeling that below a grand there are lots of battered old bangers that have been bodged and abused with terminal faults cunningly disguised. Thinking rationally though, that's probably true of every price point isn't it?
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - Mapmaker
>Thinking rationally though, that's probably true of every price point isn't it?

Yup, have a read of the 'bmw blue smoke thread' that has been running in the last week. An 8k car with a £2.5k bill.

If 5,000 miles over two years is replicated, the difference between 40mpg and 20mph is £250 per year. The difference between filling the tank on 1st Jan, 1st Mar, 1st May, 1st July, 1st Sept, 1st Nov.... and filling it on the 1st of every month.

I called about a car up at £800 on the Autotrader site and was asking a few questions about condition and history. The guy said something like "You're asking questions about a P reg car that drives great, it's obviously not the car for you" and hung up. I couldn't believe it - I was about to arrange to view it as well. He's probably telling his mates he's had nothing but time wasters on the phone. Incredible
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - smokescreen
Xsara petrol 1.6 ? Can get a mk2 (which is much better handling than its mk1) petrol with low to average mileage on at least a 51 plate for that kinda money, without trying hard!
That's a good call. I've had a few Citroens (Dyane, BX, C5s) and found them to be good provided they are looked after properly.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - OldSock
Older-style Honda Prelude? Good looks, entertaining engines.....
I'd forgotten the Prelude - we came close to buying one about 10 years ago but heart ruled head and we went for a Porsche 944 instead. No regrets, but I think an old Prelude would be the better choice now. Off to Autotrader to have a search.
Second car up to £2500 - suggestions - DP
A mate of mine has just picked up a clean 99 (V) Mondeo 2.0 Zetec-S with 82,000 miles and FFSH for £950! It's a one owner car, and of course HPI clear, and apart from some stone chipping around the bonnet lip and the odd "wear and tear" scratch, it's genuinely straight and clean. Has absolutely everything spec wise you could want including electric windows, ABS, Air-con and a heated front screen. Drives beautifully with no squeaks or creaks, or funny noises.

A well specced, spacious and safe family car that's still modern to drive, and that will probably run utterly reliably for another 5 years or so of most people's annual mileage, for less than a decent new telly.

Not necessarily suggesting you buy a Mondeo, but there really are some corking cars out there for a grand. Do all the usual checks, don't expect cosmetic perfection, and you can walk away with a bargain.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
I agree with you totally. It was searching through Autotrader on Ford any models with A/C below £2k that I found that for that money you get a better Mondeo than Fiesta. No doubt due to younger drivers wanting low insurance group cars and family car drivers wanting something new and shiny, different supply/demand characteristics. I'm happy to exploit this to our benefit.

A Mondeo would be too similar to our other car (C5 diesel estate owned from 1 year old), which is why I'm looking for a bit of help with inspiration/lateral thinking.

There appears to be a few nice Preludes around £1500, however I want to research further Mapmaker's observation about £2.5k being too much or too little, so I'm going to browse around under £1k and see what I can turn up. I'll keep you posted.