2004 1.6. Brakes seem insufficient - grahamwiz
Hi, I own a 2004 Astra 1.6 with 37k on the clock, and the brakes seem terrible, I've checked the discs and pads and they seem ok, it passed it's mot in May without comment, but I feel I really have to stand on the pedal. Anyone out there experienced similar probs. Ta Graham

{Slight tweek to header - DD}
Astra Brakes - Saltrampen
As it is coming up to 3 years it is possible fluid may have deteriorated (Get garage to measure density), other than that check vacuum connections to servo and listen to hear if you hissing after peddle is depressed (servo leak?). Is fluid reserviour full ? Possible leaks?
Have they always been terrible since you first had the car?
Cheap hard tyres can also make brakes feel weak as well. Driven a 56 plate astra 1.6 and brakes are fairly sharp.
Astra Brakes - bell boy
to add to what saltrampen has said
modern cars use modern friction material (no asbestos) this modern material goes hard after lots of applications /older age irrespective of how much meat is on the pads, a quick solution is the changing of the pads for a new quality set,you may also find the same problem with the shoes but i normally get away with scuffing these up after a wash and brush up
2004 1.6. Brakes seem insufficient - Mike H
The previous owner may have fitted cheap aftermarket pads - I had the same problem some years ago. Perfectly good pedal pressure but no stopping power. I put manufacturers pads on and problem went away.
2004 1.6. Brakes seem insufficient - Dynamic Dave
The previous owner may have fitted cheap aftermarket pads

I would have thought the original ones would still be fitted as the car in question has only done 37,000 miles. My dad has a 1.6 auto (51 reg) that's done 41,000 miles, and is still on the original pads and discs. Granted, I've just had to take an angle grinder to the discs to remove a 2mm lip, but the pads still have approx 5mm of meat left on all of them.
2004 1.6. Brakes seem insufficient - Lud
Sounds like a servo problem. The OP doesn't complain of a soft pedal but the need for much higher pedal pressure. Pads could be on their way out and there may be a seized piston or two.
2004 1.6. Brakes seem insufficient - bathtub tom
>>I've just had to take an angle grinder to the discs to remove a 2mm lip

Please tell me you measured the thickness of the disc, and compared it to recommended minimum thicknes.
I once bought a car that (unknown to me) had skimmed discs, as the pads wore, one piston came out so far it stuck sideways in its bore, holding the brake on slightly. The heat generated boiled the fluid, as I found out at the next roundabout----A very brown trouser moment!
2004 1.6. Brakes seem insufficient - Dynamic Dave
Please tell me you measured the thickness of the disc ....

Sure did. Standard thickness for the vented discs are 24mm. Checked after grinding off the lip:- 22mm. When the pads have finally worn down, the discs will also get changed. Pads on their own are cheap enough from Vauxhall - pads & discs are also cheap enough - but try buying the discs on their own ....... and it's dearer than buying the pads & discs at the same time. Apparantely it's to encourage changing them all at the same time.
2004 1.6. Brakes seem insufficient - bell boy
go to a factor then ,you can even buy one disc there if you want to,i know vaux do a deal if you buy them together but ............