Road Markings - Paul Robinson
They have resurfaced part of the Fosse Way just north of Halford (Warwickshire), the new road markings include in a couple of places, solid white squares in the center of the carriage way, one in each direction.

Any idea what they mean? Can't find them in the highway code!
Road Markings - Badwolf
Hi Paul. I *think* they're something to do with mobile speed traps.

Road Markings - adverse camber
they are a set distance apart - police can use them to measure speed. Doesnt need a scamera trap, they can time you from a following or observing car.
Road Markings - henry k
They are quite useful when speed checks are performed by the BiB in the air, so beware they may be watching up there.
Road Markings - Clanger
they can time you from a following or observing car.

Providing thumb and stopwatch have been correctly calibrated at the start of the shift ;-)
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Road Markings - Badwolf
Well, you live and learn don't you?
Road Markings - henry k
www.driverstechnology.co.uk/what-the-papers-say/sp...m

For Sussex Police have found an extra use for their £3 million helicopter - using it as a ?spy in the sky? to trap speeding drivers. And similar systems look set to be introduced across the country.

Cameras and detection devices have been mounted on the adapted Explorer MD902 to watch over motorists from the air and cut down on ?surfing? - when the drivers spot roadside cameras and speed between them. It takes an average speed over half a mile and can track drivers without their knowledge.

The helicopter flies hundreds of feet above the traffic, and the first time drivers are aware they are being watched is when they are flagged down by ground patrols tipped off from the air - or receive a court summons.

Spots the size of dinner plates have been painted half a mile apart on major A roads across Sussex. The helicopter crews time cars between the marks using a high-tech stopwatch containing a computer which instantly calculates the average speed. A video camera on the aircraft films the proceedings to provide extra evidence for court cases, but the data from the onboard computer is usually accepted by courts. An infra-red camera is available for night filming. The video also helps the crew to read registration numbers, and footage has already been used to prosecute a motorcyclist who was caught travelling at 147mph.

Road Markings - bell boy
Interestingly there was a thread about these road markings when i joined the br nearly 2 years ago,i explained that this was what they were for but was shot down in flames by another very consistent poster,i knew i was right then as they have been used on my local bypass for this very reason for nearly the last 5 years
Road Markings - henry k
Happy to confirm your correct explanation.
I too was "certain" of their use hence my earlier quick response but it took a little searching to find a trusted article on them.
Road Markings - Paul Robinson
Thanks guys, the markings are on a long straight fast bit, so that does make sense!