Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - y2k+4
I am considering changing my 20.000 mile, 06-reg mk2 focus 1.6 TDCi LX, for a 1.8 TDCi Focus mk1 in either Sport, Edge, Zetec Climate or Ghia trim - top of my list of priorities trim-wise is going to be wanting a quickclear front screen, abs and a/c. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences of this engine (in terms of either comparison, or on its own, reliability, driveability, refinement etc), as it is a Ford-own one, and which trim would be best? I'm hoping to get one that's done less than 40,000 miles for up to £7,000 and pocket between £1,500 and £2,000 from the trade-down (though I believe it'll be a better car) - is this realistic? And are there any alternatives to possibly consider...I want good mpg and the driveability of the mk1 - something I personally feel, the mk2 has lost.
Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - Ravenger
I've got the same engine in my C-Max. It's not as refined as the newer PSA 1.6 and 2.0 engines, and is noisier, especially when cold. Takes a long time to warm up in winter. On the plus side, it's got lots of torque, and overtaking is effortless on the motorways. It barely notices hills.
Noise while cruising is fine, you only really notice the diesel noise on tickover, or at low revs when its under load. Economy is good on a motorway run - I get approx 60mpg. My car gives poor economy around town, but I do live in a hilly area.
Allegedly, its reliability is better than the newer engines, and since it's an older engine the techs are more familiar with it, but the newer ones are getting better now the teething troubles have been fixed.

Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - Altea Ego
I like the tdci 115, it a nice powerful free reving lump with lots of poke. A fun engine.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
It's interesting that you've said, and I've heard from other's that the 1.6 TDCi is more refined than the 1.8, as I consider it surprisingly unrefined (the 1.6), compared to Mum's Mondeo, and a friend's Megane 1.5 dci, it's rattly, vibratory (thru clutch and gearstick) and noisy. Is the 1.8 really this bad?
Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - cheddar
I did 1500 miles in a C-Max 1.6 TDCi 110 a year or so ago, I thought that it was quieter when cold though no more refined on the move that the 1.8 115 in the Focus Mk1 and the latter is a lot more torquey.

I found the 1.6 had a slight thrum on the move that is not present on my Mondeo and I could not remember being present on the 115.
Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - Ravenger
I test drove a 1.6 TDCi C-Max before I bought my 1.8 C-Max. I thought it was very quiet, but I didn't get to push the engine very hard as I was only driving on local roads. I didn't get to see what it was like on motorways.

I was worried when I found out that the 1.8 was an older engine than the 1.6 and was noisier, but in practice I've found it to be great fun to drive, with the power there when you need it most. It's not that noisy at all when cruising, even at 70mph.
Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - backtodiesel
I have a 1.6 TDCi 110PS C-Max - only notice its a diesel when I fill it up and turn the engine over in the morning.
Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - Happy Blue!
My only two experiences of manual diesels have been in Focus estate rental cars. The TDDi was good and the TDCi was amazing. Very very fast, smooth and filled up with luggage, children and whatnot doing about 90mph on Italian motorways, I still got 44mpg. I loved it for the those weeks we had it. Most rental cars are forgettable - not this one.
Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - Blue {P}
I used to own a Focus TDCi Sport, it was quite a good car, although economy around town tended to be a pitiful 37mpg.

On a run it would get up towards 50mpg though (I never actually hit the magic 50 however)

Blue
Not what I'd hoped to hear! Even my current 1.6 TDCi manages 40 around town! Does anyone know of any engine that's economical around town?
Focus mk1 TDCi 115 experiences... - cheddar
I dont think that is typical, my Mondeo TDCi 130 never drops below 44.