CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Rob E
Hi all,

I am somewhat surprised that the CityRover has routinely appeared at the top of the reliability table in What Car? for superminis over the last few months (reliability judged according to claims with Warranty Direct). Though this may not be the best index for overall reliability, it seems a very good showing. Does anyone have any experience of these cars to comment on their reliability? Has this model inherited the Metro's capacity to just keep going? If so the owners of these cars must be laughing, given the price nearly new low mileage examples went for at my local supermarket!
Regards,

Rob E
==========

CityRover - legndary reliability?? - Stuartli
But would you really want a City Rover?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
CityRover - legndary reliability?? - carl_a
Doesn't matter how reliable it is, the things cost a fortune in fuel!

They do 37 MPG combined, most other cars in class to mid 50's or high 40's for similar speed to the City Rover.

Insurance is also costly compared to others.
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - NowWheels
I was very impressed that someone has managed to include the word "legendary" in the same sentence as "CityRover".

But then www.merriam-webster.com does say that legendary is a synonym for fictitious ...
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - wazza
You are aware CityRover is Tata under the skin

link removed - see later in this thread for why - DD
the link should be

8< SNIP - as above
something is wrong here with the link business. just do a search and you will find the cityrover is basically a Tata made in india
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Welliesorter
something is wrong here with the link business...

Not a technical fault. I think you've (innocently) fallen foul of the swear filter.
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - jase1
These cars are built to withstand treacherous Indian conditions, using very old technology, and I'd expect the mechanicals to be thoroughly debugged.

Having said that I find this a touch hard to believe. ISTR that these came in from India with faults that had to be sorted -- are they saying that Rover did such a good job patching them up?

I suspect that this is due to the number of 3yo as will be the case with other marques.
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Mad Maxy
Two sold and both surviving well. Not a big enough sample for a robust assessment. :-)
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - ijws15
Wow - I think I have seen both (ALL) of them!
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - movilogo
Hindustan Ambassador is a car based on Morris Minor, which is still selling in India for last 50 years, without undergoing any major design changes!

I once read somewhere that Russian Lada is very reliable as it has only 19 moving parts (don't know if that's a joke).

In most modern cars, failure arises from electronic parts rather than pure mechanical parts.

So, there is no wonder that pure mechanical cars are doing better in reliability surveys.

CityRover - legendary reliability?? - local yokel
Hindustan Ambassador is a car based on the Morris Oxford, in fact, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Ambassador

CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Stuartli
(don't know if that's a joke).>>

Well you should...:-)

Ladas had thicker body panels, plus heavy duty starter motors and batteries, to keep them going in the worse of the Russian weather and roads.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Billy Whizz
Not a technical fault. I think you've (innocently) fallen foul of the swear filter.

>>
I didn't know ttp://www. or ttp://driving. was a swear word... Strange.

CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Dynamic Dave
I didn't know ttp://www. or ttp://driving. was a swear word... Strange.

It's not as such, but HJ doesn't allow links to The Times (a forum search may well reveal why), and the only way to prevent those links from being posted was to add them to the swear filter.
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - tyro
the link should be

Actually, the link should be tinyurled :-)
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Hamsafar
The Hindustan Ambassador has been updated quite a bit.
It now has MPFI engine with 16-bit ECU ensures easy cold start. Improved suspension, smoother gears, ergonomically designed plush seats, wider tyres, power steering and ample boot space add to driving pleasure. You can also get compressed natural gas powered versions. These are only bought by old rich romantics, they are not good value or sought after by younger generations, but they are nice nevertheless.

Here are the official importer's cars of India in India, although I think Fiat are on there way out due to poor reliability and customer service (from forums I have frequented).
www.iloveindia.com/cars/
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Chris S
RE: "The Hindustan Ambassador has been updated quite a bit."

But the sound-proofing still consists of carpet under the front wings, which traps water and allows tin-worm to breed!
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Chris S
RE: "I think Fiat are on there way out due to poor reliability and customer service (from forums I have frequented)."

Renault are also going to make a RHD version of that car they make in Romania. LHD versions are good-sellers in France and Germany, the RHD version may make it over here and give the Koreans a shock!
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Mad Maxy
Dacia Logan? Saw one in Belgium.
Renault are also going to make a RHD version of that car they make in
Romania. LHD versions are good-sellers in France and Germany the RHD version may make it
over here and give the Koreans a shock!

What, in the UK?

It took the Brits 10 years before they stopped laughing at Skoda -- the only reason they give the Koreans any mileage at all is the lack of baggage (no image = better than joke car image in the back-to-front snobby excuse for a country we live in!).

Do you seriously think the average Brit is going to treat an ugly square box made in Romania with anything other than utter derision?!?

Then you've got the Skoda and Korean buyers, who buy for cheap/reliable. They're going to look at the Renault side of things with suspicion -- regardless of how good the Dacia is.

The only chance the Dacia has in the UK is to be released as a Renault -- and Renault are not going to want to sully their snob-rep with a car like the Logan.
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - tyro
Interesting link, Hamsafar.

I like this quote from site:
Ford Fiesta is the latest premium mid-sized sedan from Ford.

Not quite how we would describe the Fiesta in the UK!
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - madf
Imo the City Rover has legendary reliability cos:
1. Only old pink fluffy dice who were Rover fanatics would buy one. (apologies if you are an old pink fluffy dice who did not buy one, or a young one who did:-)
2. Old pink fluffy dice do 4k miles a year tops.
3. They service and wash them weekly.

:-)
madf
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - PhilW
"The only chance the Dacia has in the UK is to be released as a Renault -- and Renault are not going to want to sully their snob-rep with a car like the Logan. "

Well, they have in France (and Germany?) and I was surprised how many I saw in France this summer. Mind you, for £6000 brand new it could prove quite a hit?
tinyurl.com/2omr5u
--
Phil
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - rtj70
I thought the Dacia was coming to the UK at some point after it's success.
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Ruperts Trooper
Wasn't the Dacia Duster, based on a Renault of the time, imported to the UK in RHD form many years ago?
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Pugugly {P}
Yes - Renault 12 based.
CityRover - legendary reliability?? - Civic8
Of the very few I have seen around my area,they have been awaiting recovery at the side of the road as ive gone past, bonnet up, driver scratching head while on mobile

Well they have in France (and Germany?) and I was surprised how many I saw
in France this summer. Mind you for £6000 brand new it could prove quite a
hit?

You forget the snob-factor present in this country, which doesn't really exist elsewhere in Europe.

Many areas of Europe also sell substantially more Korean cars than are sold over here as well, but that doesn't help the dealers in the UK does it?

Personally, I think the 7-seater version of the Logan looks very promising, but that's coming from someone who couldn't care less about the badge on the bonnet ;)