Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - henry k
The future is green?

tinyurl.com/2uhmkj

It looks like I might need a Sat Nav after all so I can pay more attention to the road rather than the speedo. :-((
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - BMDUBYA
brilliant - "Indestructible! The speed camera that will defy bombs and bulldozers " Ok so it might be 13 ft high, but if people are willing to bulldoze/burn existing cameras, whats stopping them getting a ladder and spray painting the lens? I mean what a waste of money, how many cameras actually get destroyed to warrant this??? If the powers that be spent more time concentrating on things that matter, then maybe this country would be a better place.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - martint123
how many cameras actually get destroyed to warrant this?

Quote in a morning paper I spotted said £500,000's worth of damage currently. Not enough chaps!
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - rogue-trooper
£50k per camera.

Hmm that could go towards employing a car and a policeman to do a much better job of stopping dangerous drivers rather than those that creep over the limit.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - GregSwain
Must admit I agree with the first comment posted on the linked page: "Speed cameras like that are just plain creepy. These are not instruments of road safety, they are instruments of state supremacy and warfare."

The problem is that the public just bend over and take it. If there was a similar reaction to that of the poll tax, the state might be tempted to reconsider.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - concrete
The colour doesn't matter, it's the effect. Travelling up the M6 a few weeks ago I noticed in the nick of time a camera van parked on a bridge which is approached round a bend, very sneaky. However, about 4 miles further on at another bridge each lane had a small camera positioned over it and the control vehicle parked off the bridge virtually out of sight, even more sneaky. Some people were caught because they thought they had passed the trap. This was in the Kendal/Tebay area so be warned. Cumbria police must really be short of money or something to do, that part of the world is hardly an accident blackspot. What possible justification is there for that amount of resource deployed for what is effectively a quiet stretch of motorway? What Cumbria needs is some real crime to keep plod busy. Concrete
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Stuartli
From what I have read, the colour can be whatever is necessary to blend in with the background.

Just how low can some authority types descend?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - MikeTorque
£500,000 of blatant lawlessness, catch and lock these mindless vandals up and crush up their own vehicles as the fine.

Our society is falling apart as a result of the vandals who go around smashing up anything they disagree with. How would they like someone to drive a bulldozer through their house or crush their car !
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - daveyjp
Transport research labs are spending thousands on research for roadsigns which collapse in the event of vehicle impact, you may have seen them they have lattice steelwork supports rather than solid tubes and 5th Gear did a report a while ago.

Now someone wants to install cameras which don't collapse at the roadside!

A camera local to me was hit by a car (not on purpose I add) and it was completely demolished, but the driver survived. If he had hit one of these it would have been goodbye.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - J Bonington Jagworth
"Our society is falling apart"

Very possibly, but would you say that speed cameras are the cause or the effect?

I look forward to seeing one of these new ones with a paper bag over it. Where's Anglegrinderman when you need him?
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Armitage Shanks {p}
Because a house and a car belong to people and individuals. Cameras are an inanimate instrument of state fundraising and opression. Easier to cane motorists than put 1p on income tax! All this while the chavs roam free, dealing drugs and shooting and knifing each other and the innocents too!
The speed camera that will defy bombs & bulldozers - Chris White
They have been demolished with diggers, destroyed by fire and even blown up with explosives by angry motorists.

Now a speed camera billed as the toughest in the world has been designed in an attempt to repel vandals.

The device towers 13ft above the road and features strengthened glass as well as a fire-resistant body and a stiffened steel base.

Here - tinyurl.com/3cc4no

The speed camera that will defy bombs & bulldozers - Lud
Doubt if they will withstand an ordinary rocket-propelled grenade actually.
The speed camera that will defy bombs & bulldozers - OldHand
They are just attacked with paint on the lenses in the Netherlands.
The speed camera that will defy bombs & bulldozers - billy25
£50,000 each! - still cant "see" through a good squirting of black paint from a sprayer though! - and when were the rules changed back to allow them to be "camoflaged" again?

Billy
The speed camera that will defy bombs & bulldozers - billy25
Arrgh! this is the same thread as the one below!!
The speed camera that will defy bombs & bulldozers - Chris White
Apoligies to henry k, I didn't see your post, maybe someone could merge them together.....?

Chris

{Done - obviously - DD}
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - barney100
vIVA CAPTAIN GATSO!!!!!
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - nortones2
We need a few more police speed units around the Ribble Valley, covert if possible, with police handy! Despite a recent campaign to capture the boy racers, after a few wiped themselves out on walls, the rabble are out at 0730 and middle of the night again. Who'd be a policeman, or ambulanceman, with these self-inflicted (mostly) incidents to try to sort out.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Hamsafar
These Orwellian contraptions can easily be taken out of service using a £5 DVD writer laser or similar.
www.engadget.com/2007/08/10/dvd-laser-retrofitted-.../
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Kuang
I would strongly advise people NOT to try that for themselves - the laser in that video is extremely dangerous and can blind you instantly even if the beam hits your eye after bouncing back off something. DVD writers are far more serious bits of kit than you'd imagine.. you've seen what they can do to the surface of a DVD!
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - David Horn
Thinking about the lack of police, anyone seen that video of the bikers doing 140mph down the A38 in Cornwall*. Ten minutes of cruising down the motorway at 100+mph and not a single police car.

* They say Cornwall, but I'm pretty sure they end up in Ashburton near the Shell petrol station there.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - MikeTorque
Administrators, moderators and the owner of this forum please note, you are personal responsible and liable for all information posted on this forum. You will be held personally accountable and responsible and will be liable to legal action and prosecution if you do not delete or continue to allow users who post the type of posts that promote lawless acts.

Maybe it's time for this forum to be closed down. It is clearly being used as a platform whereby a number of its users advocate breaking the law and how to break law. Users are sharing information on how to break the law, destroy property, cause criminal damage, the list goes on.
Oh, do be quiet, MikeTorque, unless you can supply any evidence that your claims are correct.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Chris White
Oh yes, sorry, I mentioned demolished with diggers, destroyed by fire and even blown up with explosives in my post.

I, of course, do not advocate using any of those means to damage government property

MikeTorque - chill out.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - OldHand
>>It is clearly being used
as a platform whereby a number of its users advocate breaking the law and how
to break law. Users are sharing information on how to break the law destroy property
cause criminal damage the list goes on.

Merely talking about how 'criminals' have attacked revenue generating cameras is quite different to promoting or advocating it. Last time I checked it still wasn't illegal to discuss these matters.
Maybe people like 'miketorque' would prefer it if they were? Personally I don't give a flying pink fluffy dice what he prefers but I'd understand if the moderators felt the need to cover themselves, however misguided the beliefs of people like him.

Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Dynamic Dave
Administrators moderators and the owner of this forum please note ....

Mike, might I suggest you read the paragraph titled "Personal Liability" in the following posting.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33414

Now if we could all move on and get back to motoring discussion, thankyou.

DD.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - WipeOut
MikeTorque,

Who's advocating breaking the law. If you don't understand the forum, could you just log off, and let others enjoy the banter?

Postman Pat is currently on CBeebies, or is that too offensive.

Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - mjm
>>Postman Pat is currently on CBeebies, or is that too offensive.<<

How anyone can bear to watch a postman driving around in his van with an innocent cat trapped inside is beyond me. :)
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Bromptonaut
IIRC MT's previous posts refer to his losing relatives in a speed related accident so perhaps we could cut him a bit of slack?
his losing relatives in a speed related accident so
perhaps we could cut him a bit of slack?

That's tragic, however I lost a relative to drug (alcohol) misuse and it hasn't led to me losing my ability to reason or becoming a zealot who wans to ban the drug.

Let's try and leave bias out of this and use our reasoning ability instead.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - andymc {P}
Back to the camera in question - I would add my voice to the concern that this is obviously meant to be a rigid, unyielding, non-collapsible piece of street furniture. Wouldn't like to be there when the first car hits one, let alone the first biker.
As for its indestructibility, my crystal ball has enabled me to foresee a rise in the sale of paintballing guns. Perhaps I should buy shares in a company that makes them. If I buy enough shares, they might even send me a free sample - not that I can imagine having a use for such an item.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
I hear some people use paintball ammunition in high power sling shots to achieve the same effect at a budget price. Good ones like Barnett's Black Widow are available on places like ebay for under a tenner.

The irony a 50 grand piece of revenue generating equipment rendered useless by £15 worth of 'instant justice'
Is this latest mesage not advocating law breaking, from a guy who boasts about flouting speed limits?
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - andymc {P}
Nope.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Is this latest mesage not advocating law breaking from a guy who boasts about flouting
speed limits?

I wouldn't have thought so and I don't 'flout speed limits' either and neither have I boasted about doing so. You should perhaps try thinking first, engaging typing fingers second old bean.
Old Hand must have a memory malfunction, or is this the work of an impostor: "I advocate a dual approach to this matter ie I use a foreign registered car in the UK and I use a UK registered car when abroad. All perfectly legally as well I might add. Parking tickets are just thrown in the bin and I never hear anything about speeding tickets. The only time I'm ever stopped I just pay up with a smile and produce my valid non-EU driving licence."

Sounds like an intro to a lesson in avoiding justice, or are you making it all up, Old Hand?
Sounds like an intro to a lesson in avoiding justice or are you making it
all up Old Hand?

Just because I use a condom doesn't mean I sleep with women who have sexually transmitted diseases. Or is that a little too cryptic for you?
So; you ARE making it all up. I can do cryptic.
I haven't made anything up, whether or not I've had speeding tickets I wouldn't know as I always use 'protection'. I can confirm that the parking tickets do go straight in the bin however.
You aren't from Sheffield are you? Man from area now regrets "protection" when he used it to flout speed checks. No doubt he didn't get the ticket, but that wouldn't stop the intent to flout, and the undetected offences, which is of course the selling point of some devices. Speed where there is no camera/detector in use, obey only when you must. With the parking, thats 2 out of 2 right I think.
Back to the camera in question - I would add my voice to the concern
that this is obviously meant to be a rigid unyielding non-collapsible piece of street furniture.

Like a tree?
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Lud
Were I still young and wicked enough for urban guerilla stuff, I would be reluctant to approach one of these things from the front. They might see you. I think one would have to tar and feather them from behind.

No doubt they are all under cctv surveillance anyway. Perhaps in the world of the future we will all have to wear balaclava helmets or big Prada shades for privacy's sake.
Obviously the kind of 'criminals' attacking these sort of devices would doubtless be wearing baseball caps, hoodies etc to obscure their features.

As these revenue generating cameras are important you can bet your house that any response to a perceived attack would be far swifter than if your house was being attacked by thieves while you were in it, desperately calling for help. It's called caring- about revenue.......and some people still want to 'play the game'. Wake up call the rules of the game changed, while you're standing around talking about fair play the other side picked up the ball and rammed it up your rear end.
"any response to a perceived attack would be far swifter than if your house was being attacked by thieves"

Sound all too plausible. Reminds me of the woman who spotted uninvited guests in her garden shed, but when she called the police, they said they didn't have anyone to spare at the moment. She rang again a minute or two later, and having reminded them who she was, went on to explain that the problem had been resolved, as she had shot them. In no time at all, a chief inspector arrived with armed backup, and apprehended the woman while his officers combed the area. "I thought you said you'd shot somebody?" he growled - "and I thought you said you hadn't got anyone available", she replied.
" tar and feather them "

I think a more subtle approach is called for. Vaseline on the lens would be just as effective, but much less obvious from below. Also, it wouldn't count as criminal damage, as it is removable with no lasting effect (like the Blu-tack in the telephone boxes, but that's seriously off-topic!)
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - daveyjp
Like a tree?

Exactly like a tree:

BBC from 2003:

Many vehicle deaths would be avoided if authorities paid closer attention to removing or fencing off roadside objects, such as dangerous trees and posts.

Collisions with trees kill 1,600 people a year in Germany, 800 in France and more than 200 in Britain.

Scotland on Sunday 2006

The latest Department for Transport figures show that in 2004, 277 Scottish road users were involved in crashes where a vehicle hit a road sign or a lamppost. In these accidents, four people were killed and 47 were seriously injured.

The new road signs are intended to be used instead of traditional steel signs and posts around Scotland's roads. Typically made of aluminium, they are specially designed to be crushed, bent or - in extreme cases - completely come away from their foundations if they are hit by a vehicle.

Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - Ravenger
As I've said before, if speeding is as serious and dangerous a problem as the authorities want us to believe, they'd stop relying on automated enforcement that takes up to two weeks to have any effect on a speeders behaviour, and use police radar traps where they stop people immediately instead. I know from experience that has an immediate effect on the way you drive!

The fact they wish to make speed cameras 'invisible' shows that it's actually the revenue that matters, not stopping the speeders.
Latest revenue cameras may be colured GREEN - backtodiesel
Visible cameras clearly have a value in adjusting our driving habits in traffic blackspots. Lets not pretend that all people actually stick within the signed perfectly reasonable speed limit despite a obvious hazard.

However the covert placement or camouflaging of cameras does suggest that they are seen as a quick revenue collect by the relevant "road safety partnership". In line with a previous suggestion I agree that the £50,000 would be better spent on a police officer. I think the government needs to look at increasing the number of traffic officers on our roads. The standard of driving is currently appalling and dangerous driving seemingly goes unpunished.