rough diesel engine on s80 2.5d (yr 1999) - mjple
I have a high mileage car at around 180k. The engine sounds very rough at the moment with a clicking noise when accelerating. There is a lot of noise and vibration through the car particularly at idle when you can fell the engine pulsing through the steering wheel.

I have changed the cambelt, had a new injection belt fitted, had an oil change and a compression test all of which reveal nothing.

On a strange note if at some speed I turn right the engine goes completely smooth and silent and then i can feel the vibrations and noise coming back as i straighten up again.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
rough diesel engine on volvo s80 2.5d - mjple
just to add this car has the 2.5tdi engine from the Audi range, the car is a 99 plate. The car was also clocked so there is no real service history meaning I dont really know much about it.

rough diesel engine on volvo s80 2.5d - injection doc
On a strange note if at some speed I turn right the engine goes completely smooth and silent and then i can feel the vibrations and noise coming back as i straighten up again.

Sounds like you have answered that one then! I would check engine mounts! sounds like one has collasped or rubbing metal to metal!, may not be obvious but you may need someone sitting in car with a tuned ear whilst you try levering the engine about with it ticking over & see if all goes quiet, that way you may find the offending mount
Doc
rough diesel engine on volvo s80 2.5d - mjple
That would be great news, I think! Is an engine mount an expensive job? and would it cause the other symptoms as well? I though that mounts were normally front and rear but then that is maybe why I am not a mechanic :)

Thanks for the very fast reply by the way.
rough diesel engine on volvo s80 2.5d - martinctb
If the engine is sounding rough and loud and it has been like this since the cambelt change if it is or was before the change there is a chance that the timing is out this is normally when the belt has jumped a tooth
rough diesel engine on volvo s80 2.5d - adverse camber
Did you also change the tensioners and water pump when you had the belts done?

How did they do the pump timing? Do you know which injection system you have? MSA version?

How is the fuel economy?

Have you checked the bits of metal around the exhaust?

What about the intercooler pipes?