Magnets - New Snake Oil Nonsense - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just received a new catalogue, which appears to have taken over from "Innovations". Not naming it a s I am going to pretty scathing! The latest magnetic manifestations include the usual fuel line magnets but these work in a new way."- - The activated hydrogen and oxygen molecules bombard the combustion chamber, cleaning the injector nozzles and removing carbon and varnish build up"

The next device is alleged to assist with Masculine Difficulties. "Magnetotherapy is widely believed to encourage blood flow and increase oxygen supply. The 3600 gauss magnets help to increase the supply of sexual hormones" You carry this thing in your pocket for a few hours a day and might get lucky!

Finally, there is a £40 magnetic disc on which you stand a botle of wine and age it by 10 years in 30 minutes. Truly, magnets are all things to all men!
New Snake Oil Nonsense - cheddar
Jeez, get it wrong and you could clean your own injector nozzle, make you bottle of wine pop its own cork and age your car by 10 years in 30 minutes!!!!!

;-)
New Snake Oil Nonsense - Altea Ego
Jeez get it wrong and you could clean your own injector nozzle make you bottle
of wine pop its own cork and age your car by 10 years in 30
minutes!!!!!

No wonder you are always grumpy cheddar, that sounds really painful.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
New Snake Oil Nonsense - Dipstick
That's nothing. According to the good folks at Steorn, they have a magnet powered motor that gives out more energy than it puts in, so we won't be needing boring old oil or anything else to run our cars soon.

They had a full page ad in the Economist about it last year, and they even demoed it in London in July.

Of course, on the day, the bearings seemed to kind of break in the heat of the lights, but honestly, it really does work. They're really sure it does. Honest. No, really.

steorn.net/

New Snake Oil Nonsense - jbif
Hello Dipstick.
I enjoyed reading your link to the Steorn company. Navigate to this page steorn.net/about/investor/
They know how to run the company with diminishing revenue and increasing losses.
New Snake Oil Nonsense - Dipstick
Indeed. Their "validation model" aims to prove they are genuine by not taking any new investment. After all, what they have is so world shattering they don't need money now, because once we all have Orbo powered cars they'll be sorted.

It's the ultimate spin.

New Snake Oil Nonsense - J Bonington Jagworth
Funny how it ages the wine, but helps make you younger...
New Snake Oil Nonsense - Ian (Cape Town)
Anybody remember the previous snake-oil fad of Pyramids?
keep your razor blade under a pyramid, and it will last much longer!

Crazily, despite the 'fuel line' magnet having been convincingly and publically pooh-poohed here, they are STILL on sale at various shops.
As is the engine additive which is added to oil, the oil and water is drained, and then the car drives across America sans water or oil!!
Brilliant stuff.
Sadly, Mario Andretti is the 'front man' for their TV advertising. I didn't realise times were that hard for ex F1 champs...
New Snake Oil Nonsense - Pete M
I'm sad to say that the New Zealand equivalent of Halfords, which is called Repco, were recently advertising a "Magnetic Fuel Saver". The two assistants in my local branch were refreshingly blunt about it. "Don't buy it", they said, "It doesn't work". I e-mailed the company and they replied that they were no longer advertising the product and that anyone who wanted their money back could have it. So that's all right. How many were sold? We'll never know.
I wonder how such a product could have even got as far as being stocked or advertised without someone in charge stepping in and stopping it. Perhaps a 'very good lunch' was the technique used by the Snake Oil salesmen.
Magnets - New Snake Oil Nonsense - J Bonington Jagworth
Deja vu:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=52821&...f

Still curious about their fitment to boilers, though...
Magnets - New Snake Oil Nonsense - Civic8
>>Still curious about their fitment to boilers, though

Magnets do work on boilers and on the mains supply in to tanks,and help to keep them descaled, but have no effect on petrol molecules apart from add weight to the pipe they are attached to : (
Magnets - New Snake Oil Nonsense - J Bonington Jagworth
I realise they work on water, although even that is regarded as snake oil in some quarters (we have an electronic descaler in our house) - I'm talking about their fitment to gas lines. Quite common commercially, and not a trival cost, either...