02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - kestrel
Whilst driving steadily i am experiencing brief moments of hesitation/misfire.I have renewed the fuel filter and there are no engine management lights on.This is happening in an erratic/spasmodic manner.any ideas please?
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - AlastairW
Does the speedo remain steady when this happens, or does it flicker up and down the scale?
Can't say i've noticed as its only of 1 or 2 second duration,the first thing i look for is the engine warning light.Thanks Alastair>> Does the speedo remain steady when this happens or does it flicker up and down
the scale?
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - SteveH2

We are having misfires (kangaroo petrol) and also the speedo drops to zero and then comes back up.

I just scoffed at other half saying they were connected, but apparently then they might be - can you explain what you think might be causing these 2 symptoms?

Thanks

PS I appreciate this thread is ancient, but then our car (Focus 1.6 zetec) is 13yrs old

02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - Screwloose
kestrel

The most likely reason is a failing coilpack or HT leads; lots of other possible causes though.
Am i right in thinking if it is the HT leads the unignited fuel would be detected by a sensor(lambada?)
I am guessing the engine warning light should come on in that case.Is fuel starvation more probable?
Cheers Screwloose.
kestrel

A temporary hesitation wouldn't be long enough for the diagnostics to notice an increase in unburned oxygen.

Fuel starvation is unlikely if the filter's new and this only happens sporadically. Maybe an injector sticking; but that's rare. Unlike coilpack/HT lead issues, which are far from uncommon.
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - L'escargot
I had a minor similar problem when the engine was cold and my dealer cured it completely by reprogramming the ECU.
--
L\'escargot.
I will take your advice,starting with HT leads first.
Many thanks for your help.
Update, coilpack solved problem.20 minutes to replace.Ford spares wanted £98,got mine from Car Spares £22(new) with 12 month guarantee.Many thanks once again.
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - grahamw
Hi Kestrel,

Pleased to hear that your Focus in running well again.
Could you let me have the details of Car Spares?
My 05 1.6 Focus has started to develop a hesitent idle and for that price it would save me having to explain the problem to my Ford dealer.
Our Fiesta 1.25 never ran properly for it's 1st 4 years until the coil pack was replaced, then like magic it was an entirely different car to drive.
Regards

GrahamW
Head Office for your nearest branch call 0121 778 1366.I have seen well priced coilpacks on the internet, next day delivery.
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - gadgee
Coil pack gave up on my 1.6 02reg Focus. Had it replaced by my local independent. Pack was £55.
But was it a genuine Ford part ,did it have the Motorcraft logo?

While it's always nice to save money; I'm a great believer in always using genuine parts.

Over the years I've seen too many "pattern" bits cause unwanted effects - an "introduced fault" is something that I can do without when tracing the original fault.

Having said that; £98 for a coilpack is Henry taking the mick. [Yes; I know a Vectra one can be £274, but that's just even more stupid.]
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - grahamw
Point taken!
I paid £59 inc VAT for the Fiesta coilpack from Ford 20 months ago.
I'm after a idle control valve, Ebay sellers quote £80 from Ford, when infact they are £47 inc VAT.
My quote was from a Franchised Ford dealer.
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - gadgee
Yes my replacement was from Motorcraft
Thanks for that. I'll look into this with a view to buying a genuine part.
02 1.6 Hesitation, misfire - backtodiesel
Mine packed in on my 1.6 Focus and I had RAC do it at the roadside for £88, well beggars can't be... (me, wife, 2 month old baby, 4 year old (are we there yet!!!) and stuck on Bodmin Moor.