04 TDCi Lack of power and hissing noise - Turbo ? - boumph
I have a Ford Mondeo TDCi on a 54 plate. After an extended motorway run I stopped for 10 mins. On rejoining the motorway I noticed a noise like rushing air when accelerating. The torque is down and grey smoke is appearing from the exhaust. MPG is also down (according to the computer). It is running a bit lumpy when accelerating. There are no strange noises at tick over and there are no warning lights flashing. I got home OK but am not happy. Turbo problems?
Any suggestions?
04 TDCi Lack of power and hissing noise - Turbo ? - Screwloose
boumph

Any hissing or similar noise under load suggests a turbo duct or intercooler problem. Leaks often give themselves away with oil stains; worth a look.

You might be able to get it to do it stationary if you can get someone to quickly blip the throttle while you listen under the bonnet.
04 TDCi Lack of power and hissing noise - Turbo ? - bikerider
Sounds like you have a split intercooler pipe, most likely to be the one on the egr valve . But as a precaution i would check them all.
Thankyou Screwloose, I have tried listening for the hissing with the bonnet open, but can hear nothing out of the ordinary. I also can see no oil leaks. Where should I be looking? I did see a wisp of smoke coming from the toop of the turbo? Where the air induction pipe goes. There is a wire in there which rotates round a wheal when the accelerater is operated.
Boumph
boumph

If there's no obvious signs - and they can be very hard to see; then maybe take it somewhere that can get it up on a lift and check from underneath.
Thankyou screwloose and Bikerider.
Is this a job for my extremely competent local mechanic or do I go to a main agent?

An "extremely competent local mechanic" sounds like the perfect choice.