2001 1.6 zetec S breakdown - waldenyid2007
I have a Ghia with the 1.6 Zetec S Engine. After sorting out the initial overheating problem it had when I first bought it (thanks in no small part to the members of this site), it has been a great little car with no problems. Today, i drove it to work and back and it was fine as usual.

About half hour ago, I decided to pop out in it and for the first 10 minutes of the journey the car was as normal. I was doing 60-70 down a country lane and all seemed fine. Then i had to slow down and when I started to speed up again i felt the car judder slightly and seemingly lose power. I carried on for a maybe 1/4 of a mile but it seemed to be getting worse. Finally, the engine fault light started flashing so i pulled up in the village I was conveniently driving through at the time.

The car didn't overheat and there were no other warning lights. I looked in the ford manual and it said that if the engine fault light flashed whilst driving i should slow down immediately and get a ford dealer to look at it. Fair enough, thats probably what i will do. I left the car there, and got a taxi home.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what may have caused this before I get the car looked at tomorrow. Any advice/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

{No need to include car make / model within the subject header anymore as the choices you make from the drop down menu will do that for you. Header amended to remove info - DD}
2001 1.6 zetec S breakdown - Screwloose
Matt

Many possible causes of a judder and loss of power; but I'd go straight to the coilpack tests if called to one of these.

If that's what it is; it'll have left misfire codes and a new [Ford] one is around £80 with ten minutes to fit.
Ok, thanks. My Dad is going to call out RAC tomorrow to have a look at it so I'll see what they say.
2001 1.6 zetec S breakdown - bell boy
can i suggest dad calls out rac today in case your car is a shell or worse gone walkies by tomorrow
Lol that would be nice, but hes in London until tomorrow so unfortunately not. I don't have cover myself - figured I could always use his but yeah like i said hes not here today. Should be fine anyways. Quite a posh little estate i parked up in. If not, you know what they say... pink fluffy dice happens.