Help! Just brought a Vauxhall Movano with a Tacho! - DanG
I've just purchased a van that came fitted with a tachograph and I'm worried that I've let myself in for trouble. The vehicle is a 3.5t gross, so doesn't need a tacho by law, but I've been told some fleet companies use them on standard vans. For a start, I haven't a clue how to use the thing, or what all the controls on it do. When I come to take the vehicle for an mot in a few months time, are they going to insist I have calibration/checks done on the tacho, or can it just be ignored?

Are there any sites on the net that take you through the operation of the things?

Thanks,

Dan
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - Screwloose
Dan

The usual reason for having a [digital?] tacho on a 3500kg van is for towing a trailer - when you definitely do need one. [Unless your use is exempt for some reason.]

The rules are on the VOSA website. Googling "Tacho use" might also get you some ideas.

P.S. If you manage to get a clear understanding of the EU rules on driver's hours; please come back and explain it to us.
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - DanG
Thanks for the reply!

No, the tacho is a standard analogue one. I do not plan to tow with the vehicle, although a tow bar is fitted.

I've had a look around google, but will have to spend some more time sifting through the mounds of info!

What's the situation concerning insurance & MOT? I've just ordered the (second-hand) vehicle and have yet to sort the insurance. Its a Vauhxall Movano 3500

Maybe I should have held back on this one!

Dan
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - David Horn
Our 7.5 tonne horse box has an analogue tacho, we've never used it nor has it ever been checked at the MOT.
Dan

An analogue one is easy. You can normally just ignore it. If you attach a trailer; just fill in the details on the disc [there are symbols to show where it all goes] then open the clock and fit it to the ellipsoid spindle with the business side facing away from you.

Set the knobs to whatever you're doing; crossed hammers - working away from the vehicle; bed - self-explanatory; sandwich [that square thing] - meal break; steering wheel - driving.

Insurance shouldn't be any issue; but you may need to have it calibrated annually - see VOSA site for details or talk to your local LSUK.
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - Dwight Van Driver
Something for the weekend Sir:

tinyurl.com/3xuz3w
(EEC 5561/2006 is for you)

and

tinyurl.com/3779td {Link corrected as previously not working -DD}

or

speak to VOSA, they used to do a free booklet on Tachographs.

dvd
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - R75
You have not really let yourself in for trouble - expense - yes. The Tacho has to be checked/calibrated every 2 years - if you open it up you will see inside as little sticker with the last inspection date on it, you need to make sure it gets done within 2 years.

As for use, if the GVW will be over 3.5t then you must use the tacho, I am not sure if you have to use it if under 3.5t, all the vehicles I deal with are over. Make sure if you are going to use it that you get the correct tachos to go in, there are subtle differences between them that will make it an offence if the wrong type have been put in (it's to do with the speed rating on them, some go to 125kmh some 180kmh etc).

The mode switch should be set to crossed hammers if doing work but not driving, set to bed symbol if actually on rest (defined as able to dispose of your time freely) and set to box with diagonal line through it if on a period of avalibility (POA) this is a new term thought up by the powers that be to ensure we fit in with EU regulation without actually having to do less hours!!!!!!! Most now record the driving automatically so will not have a "Steering wheel" icon, but it should say "automatic" on the front.

Now don't forget we now have WTD (working time directive) as well as the drivers hours, so as well as having to stop for 45 minutes after every 4.5hr of driving, you now also have to make sure you stop for 30 minutes after 6 hours of working. Just google for the drivers hours regs, they are too complicated for me to go into, but plenty of discussion on them in various truck forums.

HTH, but if you want to understand it all then get googling and reading.
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - Ruperts Trooper
As the van has a towbar fitted, it's previous user obviously fell into the group where a 3500kg van, on it's own doesn't need a tacho, but does if towing a trailer.

Why not remove both the towbar and tacho?

In fact why not just remove the tacho, even if you tow a caravan (ie non-goods trailer) with a 3500kg van you don't need it.
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - retgwte
its a shame you are not in the forces, you can drive any class of vehicle at 16, drive as many hours as your want, drive any vehicle class without tacho, fall asleep at the wheel and get let off as long as you were driving "under orders"

even better drive as a member of the US forces in the UK and you are excempt from all this crap even in your private vehicles

Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - Sim-O
...drive any class of
vehicle at 16 drive as many hours as your (masters) want...

----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - frazerjp
Sorry for being off topic, but are Royal mail vehicles excempt from tachographs?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)

There are exemptions for door-to-door delivery use; so probably - yes.
Sorry for being off topic but are Royal mail vehicles excempt from tachographs?

they are not exempt from tachographs, but they do not run under EU hours regs, they run under British Domestic Hours Regulations, which means you can drive for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week without the need to take a rest break during the 10hr drive. But you must take 12hrs rest before the start of the next shift. Much simpler set of rules to adhere to, but gives the EU rule makers less to do!!!
Help! Just brought a van with a Tacho! - geoffken
would not like to drive for 10 hours without a stop.
Do they issue them with a little bottle (or even a big bottle if you had been out the night before) and how do any female drivers manage !!!!
They do build in plenty of breaks into the shifts (or used to anyway), but there is the possibility that if you wanted to (but it is not condoned by RM/ParcelForce) that one could run for 10hrs!!!
Thinking a bit more about it, they would not be able to get out of the working time directive, so they would have to stop for 30 minutes after 6 hours of work now, just like we all have to.