Price of engine oil - Aprilia
This topic comes up quite often.

Anyway, I was short of some 5W-30 Long Life oil today and in a bit of a rush for it. Being a bit cheeky I nipped down to my mates garage with an empty 5L can. He has a big drum (205 litre I think) of Fuchs 5W-30 LL and I filled my can up. I asked him how much the drum cost and it was 'about £180' from the local Vauxhall dealer (Trade Club) where I normally get my oil (but I get mine in the small drums). So that's under £1/Litre - something to think about when the BMW dealer is charging it out to you at £12+ a litre!
As an aside, I can confirm that most of the 'Vauxhall/GM' oils are actually Fuchs - so try your local GM dealer when you next need oil. You won't get it at £1/Litre, but it will still be cheaper than most factors and its a good quality oil.
Price of engine oil - Mapmaker
So at £12 per litre... if your car takes 5 litres and needs changing twice a year and you have two cars and an open drum lasts a year... you will be well in profit if you buy 205 litres rather than 20.
Yes, in theory. You'd have to be a member of the Vauxhall Trade Club and have somewhere to keep the drums etc. Also the point of 'Long Life' is that you probably wouldn't need to change it twice a year.....
Price of engine oil - Bill Payer
an open drum lasts a year...

I think it's generally accepted that oil doesn't go off, so it'll last until it runs out.
Price of engine oil - GregSwain
I thought it had a shelf-life of 3 years?
Price of engine oil - Roger Jones
Yes, scroll down to Engine Oil and Shelf Life here:

www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
Price of engine oil - Dalglish
Yes, scroll down to Engine Oil and Shelf Life here: ..

1. where it says:
" ...Technically, engine oils have shelf lives of four to five years. However, as years pass, unused engine oils can become obsolete and fail to meet the technical requirements of current engines. The specs get updated regularly based on new scientific testing procedures and engine requirements. But this is only really a concern if you've bought a brand new car but have engine oil you bought for the previous car. An oil that is a number of years old might not be formulated to meet the requirements set for your newer engine...."

so his statement is priamrily concerned with specifications getting updated.

2. also, the author is not an oil expert. see his disclaimer:
" .... I am in no way affiliated with any branch of the motor industry. I am just a pro-car, pro-motorbike petrolhead who is into basic car maintenance. The information on these pages is the result of information-gathering, research and hands-on experience. ...
..... any and all claims, damages, costs or other expenses that arise directly or indirectly from you fiddling with your car or motorbike as a result of what you read here. In short : the advice here is worth as much as you are paying for it.
"

in other words, he knows how to google.
Price of engine oil - J Bonington Jagworth
"..... any and all claims, damages, costs or other expenses that arise directly or indirectly from you fiddling with your car or motorbike as a result of what you read here. In short : the advice here is worth as much as you are paying for it. "

Like the advice on this site, in other words. He's only covering his backside, which is a sensible measure in these litigious times - it doesn't make the advice worthless...
... So that's under £1/Litre - something to think about when the BMW dealer is charging it out to you at £12+ a litre!

i tried that tactic when the restaurant wanted to charge me £2 a litre of water which i can get at home for fractions of a penny at home.

Price of engine oil - MVP
i tried that tactic when the restaurant wanted to charge me £2 a litre of
water which i can get at home for fractions of a penny at home.

snipquote!

I believe pubs/restaurants have an obligation to supply tap water without charge - I also hate the rip-off water scam, especially when it's their own filtered tap water.

MVP
tinyurl.com/yk4typ
I suspect that the base oil has a shelf life longer than the average person's lifetime! Its probably the additive pack which is less stable and also likely to 'seperate out' if the oil is left standing for years.

For anyone doing their own servicing it would certainly pay to buy in the 25 litre drum from Vauxhall. Maybe share with others? As I said, the GM oil is supplied by Fuchs and in the smaller quantities you can get for £2/litre equivalent (depending on spec.) - some places want £40 for a 4 litre retail can of Fuchs!!
Talk nicely to your local GM parts dept. - mine is very helpful and they even deliver the drums for me.
Price of engine oil - LHM
On the issue of oil shelf life, the cynical view would be that the manufacturers just want you to buy more of their product :-(

To recommend five years as a shelf life hints at "we can't be bothered to do the testing any longer"!
Price of engine oil - Gromit {P}
To recommend five years as a shelf life hints at "we can't be bothered to do the testing any longer"!

No, it means the accelerated ageing tests they use can't reliably show whether the oil will remain stable for more than 5 years.

BTW, thanks for the tip, Aprilla!
I asked my MB dealer if I could supply my own oil and the service advisor seemed delighted to let me do that, and told me they charge £12.95/L + VAT = £15.22. So £99 for the 6.5L of oil my car needs (assuming they can charge by the half litre).

I supplied Motul MB229.5 specific which cost £50 (inc delivery) from Opie Oils for 10L. If I was doing it again I'd get Mobil 1 from Costco at £23 for 4L.

What amazed me is that, assuming the MB dealer pays next to nothing for the oil in bulk, they will cheerfully throw away about £90 of pure profit. They didn't even make an oil disposal charge.

I'm having out Jazz serviced next week and I know the Honda dealer will use fully synth and charge a lot for it, but funnily enough I feel much more awkward about asking them than I did my MB dealer. Perhaps because the qty is alot less (3.5L)?
Price of engine oil - CJay{P}
I supplied Motul MB229.5 specific which cost £50 (inc delivery) from Opie Oils for 10L.

Are you sure about this?

Even if you buy in 20L cans, according to their website:

Titan Supersyn 5w-40 BMW/Porsche/VW505.00,502.00/MB229.1/MG Rover
1 x 20 litre 20 £155.99

Are you sure about this?

Titan is Fuchs. I bought Motul - I just checked on Opie Oils website and the MB229.5 stuff is called X-MAX now. The members price is £55 for 10L (inc delivery). Seems wierd getting oil by courier but it worked fine.

Users of this forum can become members - just apply on the Opie Oil site.
I asked my MB dealer if I could supply my own oil and the service
advisor seemed delighted to let me do that and told me they charge £12.95/L +
VAT = £15.22. So £99 for the 6.5L of oil my car needs (assuming they
can charge by the half litre).

What amazed me is that assuming the MB dealer pays next to nothing for the
oil in bulk they will cheerfully throw away about £90 of pure profit. They didn't
even make an oil disposal charge.

This is probably because in many dealerships the parts and service depts are run as seperate cost centres with their own targets etc etc. The oil would have been provided by 'parts' and so the service dept were probably not bothered by this loss. Other dealers might take a different view.

In some dealerships (often belonging to the big groups) the new sales, used sales, parts and service managers all hate each other. This is why it can be so difficult for the customer when, say, they buy a used car and find a fault. 'used car dept' and 'service dept' then get into an internal dispute about who should pay etc etc. Sometimes, bizzarely, used car sales will send a car outside the dealership for prep work to be done, because its cheaper than having it done in house! This really happens!
In some dealerships (often belonging to the big groups) the new sales used sales parts
and service managers all hate each other.

Perhaps you've uncovered the reason I don't feel disposed to beating up my Honda dealer about their oil price - it's an independant one-off outfit, whereas the MB dealer is part of a faceless corporation (Inchcape).
tinyurl.com/yk4typ

in reply to roger joes -

note that in that link exxon say
"ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil.1."

do they print "use by" or "sell by" dates on their packaging?

Price of engine oil - Wackyracer

There is usually a manufacture date code printed on the container. It is not always obvious as it is written in several different ways depending on the manufacturer.

Price of engine oil - RT

There is usually a manufacture date code printed on the container. It is not always obvious as it is written in several different ways depending on the manufacturer.

Some of the oil specifications shown on the label as "Approvals" have statutory limits on the period they can legally be sold which is invoked when a specification becomes superceded.

Price of engine oil - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK, if a restaurant, ub etc has a licence to sell alcohol this carries on obligation to suppy tap water free.

Re Engine oil I used to see Mobil 1 on the shelves of the US Forces BX shops at $2/litre. I bet it is all made at one refinery and labelled, priced and shipped according to the market.

Price of engine oil - turbo11
I pay £11.60 for 4 litres of Chevron extreme 5W-40 fully synthetic from costco.Much cheaper than the equivalant Shell (£36)I had been using.They are equal spec.
I just rung the local vauxhall dealer.
Oil - 5w-30
20L can = £160
4L can = £40
So, there is absolutely no benefit in buying the larger can.

Aprilia, surely these are not the prices you buy for?
Sorry, I typed the above assuming that the price of £40 was for a 5L can. Double checked - my mistake. There IS a benefit in buying the larger can/drum.

However, at £8 a litre it is quite dear.

How does one qualify for the £2 per liter that Aprilia referred to?
Sorry I typed the above assuming that the price of £40 was for a 5L
can. Double checked - my mistake. There IS a benefit in buying the larger can/drum.
However at £8 a litre it is quite dear.
How does one qualify for the £2 per liter that Aprilia referred to?

£40 for 5 litre!! That's taking the Mick. Surely that is the price they charge it out at when doing an oil change. I don't know what the retail prices are at the Vauxhall dealer, I am in their 'Trade Club' - have been for many years - so never asked their retail prices. There is another poster on here (Old Man ??) who also buys GM oil and I think pays similar prices to me, although obviously at a different dealer...
Price of engine oil - Dynamic Dave
I don't know what the retail prices are at the Vauxhall dealer

The last time I bought some of "Vauxhalls" 10w/40 semi synth, it was something like £21 for a 5 litre container from the parts dept.
The last time I bought some of "Vauxhalls" 10w/40 semi synth it was something like
£21 for a 5 litre container from the parts dept.

Around the same price as Halfords then. I usually buy Tesco's 10w40 semi/synth £7 for 2 litres - my car only takes 3.2 litres so I just buy 2 of these. Have bought from a motor factor before - best price for 10w40 s/synth I've paid was £9.95+VAT for 5 litres.
Price of engine oil - LHM
I just rung the local vauxhall dealer.
Oil - 5w-30
20L can = £160
4L can = £40

So there is absolutely no benefit in buying the larger can.

?????
My posting links to sites with relevant information does not imply that I necessarily agree with what is there. I am simply trying to help by opening up other angles.
Price of engine oil - madf
I buy oil as I buy toilet rolls, and screws and Tomato Ketchup and washing powder and various other frequently used houshold goods which keep with age and are regularly consumed.

I wait until there is a special offer and buy enough then to last until the approximate date of the next offer.. With screws it's about 3 months from Aldi and Lidl, washing powder ditto and oil every 9 months from Halfords.. half price.

You need to be organised and have storage but it's amazing how you can reduce the bills for these items by between 30 and 50%.
madf
Price of engine oil - MW
Very true. You just know that in the next 9-12 months Halfords will do 5 litres of fully synthetic for £16. They always do. At these prices for non-trade people, I can't see any point in using anything else. Really only French hypermarket synthetic can beat it. £12 for 5 litres at Auchan about 6 months ago.
For example of purchasing savings Tesco have £3.38 off a 5kg box of Persil non bio washing powder...Nearly 40%. We bought 3 months supply.
madf
I am simply trying to help by opening up other angles.

ditto. agreed.
opinions, that is what discussion is about.
facts, now that is something different altogether.

Until about 3 weeks ago, National ran a promotion - for £25 they will do a oil change using fully synthetic. If I remember correctly, they advertised that they used Druckhams (sp?). At these sorts of prices, it makes sense to get it done by these people. Or does it not?
Can we be 100% certain that they will indeed fill up the car with the advertised product?

Price of engine oil - grahamw
My local Ford dealer charges £18.00 for 5 litres of Formula E 5/30, I persume it is semi.
I've just returned from a holiday in France and I saw 5/40 fully synthetic for 19.99 Euros for 5 ltrs in a supermarket.
Could I use that in a Zetec engine?

I would ONLY use 5/30 in a Zetec as it is what Ford specify and there are well known issues using the wrong spec with this engine.
madf
Price of engine oil - grahamw
Thanks madf, I thought that would be the answer, couldn't find any 5/30 in France so didn't buy any.
What I may do is buy some Formula E at the parts counter and ask the service dept to use that instead of the Castrol they charge £6 a litre for. I have noticed that my Focus sounds more rattlely from a cold start since the last service. Our mobile mechanic uses Comma for SWMBOs Fiesta and it is virtually silent.
I use Comma for all oil (semi synthetic) and have done for 6 years in older son's Peugoet 106. It has now doen 90k miles - and still uses no oil between services. Lots in motor factors.
madf
Any idea who makes Tesco's or Carlube's oils? Been using both recently without any hassle, would be interesting to know whose oils they really are!
Price of engine oil - Hamsafar
Any idea who makes Tesco's or Carlube's oils? Been using both recently without any hassle, would be interesting to know whose oils they really are!

ESSO own Carlube and Comma and probably ESSO oil in the TESCO bottle, they will get a better price buying several brands from one place than splitting and they are also in bed with ESSO for retail fuel sales.

Edited by Hamsafar on 15/12/2013 at 10:25

Price of engine oil - RT

ESSO own Carlube and Comma and probably ESSO oil in the TESCO bottle, they will get a better price buying several brands from one place than splitting and they are also in bed with ESSO for retail fuel sales.

Carlube is owned by Tetrosyl Group which is independent and 100% owned by Peter David Schofield.

Comma was owned by Exxon (Esso) but subsequently sold in 2012 to Cosan Lubrificantes e Especialidades S.A. in Brazil

Price of engine oil - RT

As well as Carlube, Tetrosyl also own Motor World and Quinton Hazell

Price of engine oil - hillman

When I owned a Morris Minor side valve, 1950s split screen version, in Zambia during the 1970s the head gasket periodically failed and admitted water into the cylinder. When I tried to start the engine via the self starter there would be a thudding noise, so I knew that I had to get it started via the handle. I would lean on the handle until the water had been forced out of the cylinder and then spin the handle until the engine fired on one or two cylinders. When the third cylinder fired I knew I could drive home - the fourth cylinder joined in after a few hundred yards.

Zambia was very short of ready currency so engine oil was sold at a ridiculous price - if you could get it. So, a couple of days later I would crack the sump plug and drain off the water until it showed oil and then tighten up again. Then I would change the head gasket - of which I kept a few spares. Oh, for those far off simple days ! When you consider it, the price of oli now is not so different from the astronomical price it was then.

Considering bottled water : Confucious is said to have commented about fools and money being parted. My son was staying in a hotel with a posh restaurant and observed the chef filling up bottles with 'big' labels from the water tap in the kitchen.

Price of engine oil - RT
Considering bottled water : Confucious is said to have commented about fools and money being parted. My son was staying in a hotel with a posh restaurant and observed the chef filling up bottles with 'big' labels from the water tap in the kitchen.

Several water boards do that as well - I pay £1.0249 per cu. m.for my South Staffs tap water, that's 10 litres for a penny - it's £1.99 for 6 litres at Aldi - from exactly the same supply.

Price of engine oil - Armitage Shanks {p}

Thread drift alert! Another scam is somelliers at posh restaurants selling carefully handled bottles with prestige labels, out of the back door, for filling with cheapo plonk and getting resold at the prestige price!

Price of engine oil - veryoldbear

I have tried cheap plonk in my engine but it doesn't work ...

"I have tried cheap plonk in my engine but it doesn't work ..."

Have you tried it in the radiator ?

Back to the price of oil : I used to take my Voilvo 440 to an independent who used a brand of oil I didn't recognise. His premises were a mess and he employed some dodgy people, but the car was running nicely at 130,000 miles when we sold it on.

Price of engine oil - skidpan

"I have tried cheap plonk in my engine but it doesn't work ..."

Have you tried it in the radiator ?

Back to the price of oil : I used to take my Voilvo 440 to an independent who used a brand of oil I didn't recognise. His premises were a mess and he employed some dodgy people, but the car was running nicely at 130,000 miles when we sold it on.

Brand is pretty much irrelevant as long as it meets the correct manufacturers or ACEA spec for the car (and visocity of course).

Problem is most independents have a one size fits all policy and buy it in bulk, this can cause problems for makes that have very specific requriements. And its not just independants, the wifes Kia Ceed is a CRDi with a DPF, Kia are specific with the oil, ACEA C3 5w 30 fully synth. One of our local dealers shares the site with a main Ford dealer, they use Ford spec oil which is ACEA A1 5w 30 semi synthetic, cheap as chips but wrong.

Price of engine oil - RT

The issue of franchised dealers using "one size fits all" bulk oil seemed to happen a lot after DPF's were introduced when they carried on using the same old oil instead of a DPF-compatible grade like ACEA-C3 - I wonder if this is part of the reason for early DPF failure for a number of owners?

Price of engine oil - quizman

Whatever happened to Aprilia?

Edited by quizman on 16/12/2013 at 19:13

Price of engine oil - leef
>> I just rung the local vauxhall dealer. >> Oil - 5w-30 >> 20L can = £160 >> 4L can = £40 >> So there is absolutely no benefit in buying the larger can. ?????

Really........

Price of engine oil - galileo
>> I just rung the local vauxhall dealer. >> Oil - 5w-30 >> 20L can = £160 >> 4L can = £40 >> So there is absolutely no benefit in buying the larger can. ?????

Really........

Just proves the education system produces a poor standard of arithmetic skill. My mother left school at the age of 14 but still knew her times tables. Also worked for years in a shop with no calculating tills such as there are nowadays (and in pounds, shillings and pence!)

Price of engine oil - RT

Really........

Just proves the education system produces a poor standard of arithmetic skill. My mother left school at the age of 14 but still knew her times tables. Also worked for years in a shop with no calculating tills such as there are nowadays (and in pounds, shillings and pence!)

However, internet speeds haven't improved - that original post was over 6 years ago !!

Price of engine oil - Avant

"Whatever happened to Aprilia?"

Sadly, we last heard from him in early 2008. People do come and go on forums like this, but he was particularly missed as he was (is, I hope) a very experienced and knowledgeable motor engineer, who had the gift of giving good advice without ever implying that the person asking the question was an idiot.

Being able to admit that I'm an idiot has proved very beneficial over my long life.

Price of engine oil - privateinvestor

He was probably one of the formeost experts on the backroom, very knowledgable without a hint of arrogance.

Price of engine oil - privateinvestor

I recently purchased 2x4 liter Castrol Edge LL 5w30 fro a £28 a peice on offer at Eurocarparts. By the way would buy Carlube or Triple X, is this stuff any good. Triple X seems good value....over to you, and thanks for any replies.